or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1184

post #17746 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterandSon View Post

We thought you might like to see our new 'faded' rtw shoes (see http://www.styleforum.net/t/365214/foster-son-henry-maxwell-official-affiliate-thread/255#post_6712786 for full post and pricing).

Our new faded shoes

We talked some time ago about our fading process and how we were going to make it available on our rtw shoes. Well, the first pair has come back and we love them!

Details
Shoe:                    Fawley, semi-brogue in black on our new 30029 last
Fading:                 None on vamp
















and another picture of the waist




Foster & Son

A stunning and unique Fosters thing. The cloudiness of the sun damaged look is what I really like.
post #17747 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyJones View Post

Is that a Vass K last austerity in the back left?

 

All look like Crispins, but those boxes made me doubt.

post #17748 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post


A stunning and unique Fosters thing. The cloudiness of the sun damaged look is what I really like.

 

meister, many thanks, we agree. I will post some more pictures later on, hopefully with a bit more detail. Foster & Son

post #17749 of 19808
Is the fading available on all the RTW? Personally, I don't like the look.
post #17750 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

Is the fading available on all the RTW? Personally, I don't like the look.


I am confused as to why you are asking then. To each his/her own.
post #17751 of 19808
I'm thinking of getting the Thornham or Portman.
post #17752 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

Is the fading available on all the RTW? Personally, I don't like the look.

It actually makes more sense than the 'antiquing" we see on many other shoes. The heel and toe are areas that would get rubbed or sunburnt or worn more than the quarters or the facings or the joint area of the vamp.

In natural antiquing, it's those areas, of any object, that are least exposed to the elements that darken most with age.

Yet common practice is to artificially darken those very areas...sometime garishly...that are most exposed--such as the end of the toe and the heel. In my opinion, and it's opinion only...that's closer to tie-dyeing than antiquing.
post #17753 of 19808
I prefer to let my shoes take an all over patina. With respect to Foster, it just looks artificial/overdone.
post #17754 of 19808
Something for the approaching Russian winter...

Santoni:




post #17755 of 19808
^This model will prove popular in Russia, they do love their fur (even though on shoes it becomes like a miniscule sauna while indoors).
post #17756 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

Is the fading available on all the RTW? Personally, I don't like the look.

 

rabiesinfrance, it's certainly not to everyone's taste but, yes the fading will be available on all of our new shoes and on those that we have on the 337 last. Foster & Son

post #17757 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


It actually makes more sense than the 'antiquing" we see on many other shoes. The heel and toe are areas that would get rubbed or sunburnt or worn more than the quarters or the facings or the joint area of the vamp.

In natural antiquing, it's those areas, of any object, that are least exposed to the elements that darken most with age.

Yet common practice is to artificially darken those very areas...sometime garishly...that are most exposed--such as the end of the toe and the heel. In my opinion, and it's opinion only...that's closer to tie-dyeing than antiquing.

 

DWFII,

 

The fading process was originally developed in our Workshop a long time ago to replicate the patina acquired by our bespoke samples that had been exposed to sunlight in our South facing window in Duke of York Street before we moved to Jermyn Street in 1965. It was developed in response to customer requests and we have had long experience of doing it, though it's still an art not a science and needs to be done very carefully so as not to weaken the shoe.

 

Foster & Son

post #17758 of 19808
FosterandSon - great job on the fading - the effect is quite beautiful.
post #17759 of 19808
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterandSon View Post

DWFII,

The fading process was originally developed in our Workshop a long time ago to replicate the patina acquired by our bespoke samples that had been exposed to sunlight in our South facing window in Duke of York Street before we moved to Jermyn Street in 1965. It was developed in response to customer requests and we have had long experience of doing it, though it's still an art not a science and needs to be done very carefully so as not to weaken the shoe.

Foster & Son

I hope you understand that although I'm not a big fan of any "antiquing"...preferring to let the leather age naturally...what I was saying is that your example posted above makes sense to me--far more than "reverse antiquing"--where toes/heels are darkened. Toes and heels darkening up just doesn't happen in the wild.nod[1].gif

--
Edited by DWFII - 11/8/13 at 10:23am
post #17760 of 19808
I find it interesting that the toes and heels don't naturally darken over time. I would think those areas are getting heavier amounts of polish, therefore getting more and more pigmented over time. Also because of the creasing in the vamp area of the shoe I would expect that area to lighten from wear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II