a truly timeless classic ... beautiful
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 2/4/16 at 4:10pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:32 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: Yesterday
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: Yesterday
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1179
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17672 of 2046510/24/13 at 12:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by JermynStreetQuote:
Beautiful shoes, Foster & Sons.
I want to ask a question that was raised by member MoneyWellSpent in the Allen Edmonds thread. This is not to denigrate any work or members on here, but I always hear about how ugly Allen Edmonds' short caps are, yet, as is the case with Foster's, there is widespread approval...even praise for the small cap. I would like to know if there are any members on here who like the small cap on the Foster shoe but loathe the small cap on the Allen Edmonds shoe. If so, can you please explain why you feel this way? Thanks in advance, and again, Beautiful shoes Foster & Sons.
Is it really a small cap, though? Half of the pictures make it look that way, but the others look like there's more coverage. I wonder if this may be lens distortion.post #17673 of 2046510/24/13 at 12:21pmQuote:
I assume it has to be a smaller cap based on Foster and Son's response to the original comment.post #17674 of 2046510/24/13 at 2:10pmpost #17675 of 2046510/24/13 at 2:17pmpost #17676 of 2046510/24/13 at 6:56pmpost #17677 of 2046510/24/13 at 10:13pmQuote:
The cap is quite small though there may also be some lens distortion. I happen to quite like the short toe cap look myself and admire the Allen Edmonds brand greatly too, it is no mean feat to maintain a US production facility in this day and age.
Foster & Sonpost #17678 of 2046510/25/13 at 12:13ampost #17679 of 2046510/25/13 at 2:22ampost #17680 of 2046510/25/13 at 2:34ampost #17681 of 2046510/25/13 at 2:35ampost #17682 of 2046510/25/13 at 2:43ampost #17683 of 2046510/25/13 at 6:46amQuote:
I don't think you can look at any one attribute of a shoe and make a fair comparison. I think the legacy of a lot of shoemakers stems from their ability to make everything flow well together. So, I don't think it is fair to say, I don't like short caps, because a short cap can work in one context and not another. To me I see a lot of problems with AE's, but that's besides the point.post #17684 of 2046510/25/13 at 7:37amQuote:
Interesting and good to know, thanks.post #17685 of 2046510/25/13 at 7:43am^I find that true for most shoes under about the $800 mark. They use pretty standard and seemingly thin outsoles. You can always tell when they aren't oak bark tanned because they get very slick and slippery. Oak bark soles get a kind of "nap" on them almost like suede. It helps a lot for traction, and honestly, way less slippery than dianites.
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 37 seconds ago
- › 2015 Ermenegildo Zegna Solid Black Milano Fit Suit, 38R (48R EU)... 1 minute ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 4 minutes ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 5 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 5 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 5 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...