or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1117

post #16741 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

However, with my Tricker's and Alfred Sargents, which cost nearly double, and I put a lot of more care into them, like wipe, reno, polish and buffing, but I just can't get to mirror shine.... after 3 layers polish, quite depressing for me after my shoe care sessions. shog[1].gif
Anyone else experienced this? And can someone shed light on this?

You definitely have to build up the wax because of the pores (these are pretty much sanded even on CG or filled with a coat with other BB leather). I willl take some time but you'll eventually get there. i actually cheat and use a cottonball to get the shine on some of the shoes' toebox.
post #16742 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Loake Ayr Black
 

nephew,
nice shine on your cap toes

Thank you uncle.

But this sparked a question:

With my lower grade shoes: like Loakes and Allen Edmonds, and they are all full grain finish, not correct grain bookbinder finish; but I can easily get mirror shine finish on them with just one layer of polish and buffing, I don't bother with renovateur on them yet.

However, with my Tricker's and Alfred Sargents, which cost nearly double, and I put a lot of more care into them, like wipe, reno, polish and buffing, but I just can't get to mirror shine.... after 3 layers polish, quite depressing for me after my shoe care sessions. shog[1].gif

Anyone else experienced this? And can someone shed light on this?

 

I believe there is a middle area in types of leather which is a corrected-full grain finish, if that makes sense? One of the heavy hitters posted about it some time ago, that the amount of first grade black calf needed to produce all the new shoes for companies like AE or Loake out be outrageous, and that they suspected that it is still corrected to some degree, which would make it easier to shine. I apologise I can't reference the post, however.

post #16743 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

dark brown wt
argyles otc


When you see these you realize there is an argument for shell cordovan....
post #16744 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

When you see these you realize there is an argument for shell cordovan....

nephew,
a wardrobe should have a shell shoe
post #16745 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

i actually cheat and use a cottonball to get the shine on some of the shoes' toebox.

Why is using a cotton ball cheating? Ethan of the Armoury is seen using it I this video.
http://hk.asiatatler.com/style/fashion/why-gentlemen-should-polish-their-own-shoes
post #16746 of 19234

These suede shoes are not from the usual big names but they fit and look great. 

 

 

 

 

post #16747 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaogou View Post

It's nice to see black shoes getting some love.

An excerpt from StCrispinsBlessing blog:

Mythbustin’

One of the most persistent memes in the #menswear community and even in the mainstream is that Italians supposedly only wear black to funerals and weddings. Another brilliant piece of Italian marketing? A meme originally started by Italian shoe salesmen to boost demand for made-in-Italy, brown footwear? Who knows. Now it is true that in Italy mores with regards to footwear may be a bit looser, due to Agnelli’s excentric habit of pairing ‘inapproriate’ footwear like driving shoes and hiking boots with business suits. And where l’Avvocato leads, others follow. But when things get serious - and navy and charcoal worsted solids and pinstripes are called for, Italian men of style, like their British and Continental equals opt for black shoes (preferably English). Pictured above, Stephan Winkelmann, 2 unidentified gentlemen, John Elkann, Alain Elkann, Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, Giovanni Agnelli, Andrea Agnelli, Matteo Marzotto, Aldo Brachetti Peretti and Lapo Elkann (pre-overdose).


Click here to see all of the above mentioned gentlemen in their black shoes!


i think black is coming back, baby!
post #16748 of 19234
Crosspost

#4 shell/ HIppo from Cleverley.



post #16749 of 19234
^^^ so nice
post #16750 of 19234

Extraordinary saddles...wow!-----

post #16751 of 19234
arent hippos the most dangerous animals in Africa? i wonder if there is an upcharge for the hazard of harvesting their skins...
post #16752 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

arent hippos the most dangerous animals in Africa? i wonder if there is an upcharge for the hazard of harvesting their skins...

I think they only take hides from animals that die from natural causes.....
post #16753 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

Crosspost

#4 shell/ HIppo from Cleverley.




exotic and niceeee!
post #16754 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiji View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Loake Ayr Black

 


nephew,

nice shine on your cap toes


Thank you uncle.


But this sparked a question:


With my lower grade shoes: like Loakes and Allen Edmonds, and they are all full grain finish, not correct grain bookbinder finish; but I can easily get mirror shine finish on them with just one layer of polish and buffing, I don't bother with renovateur on them yet.


However, with my Tricker's and Alfred Sargents, which cost nearly double, and I put a lot of more care into them, like wipe, reno, polish and buffing, but I just can't get to mirror shine.... after 3 layers polish, quite depressing for me after my shoe care sessions. shog%5B1%5D.gif


Anyone else experienced this? And can someone shed light on this?

I believe there is a middle area in types of leather which is a corrected-full grain finish, if that makes sense? One of the heavy hitters posted about it some time ago, that the amount of first grade black calf needed to produce all the new shoes for companies like AE or Loake out be outrageous, and that they suspected that it is still corrected to some degree, which would make it easier to shine. I apologise I can't reference the post, however.

Interesting point, that would be a good read of a post. thank you.
post #16755 of 19234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

Crosspost

#4 shell/ HIppo from Cleverley.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




nephew
good looking saddle, wear in good health
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II