I just bought 3 meters of python skin, just trying to use it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on Yesterday at 4:10 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Today at 7:07 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- What is bullhide, and why is it attractive/desirable? What are its...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1084
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16247 of 204635/25/13 at 5:36pmpost #16248 of 204635/25/13 at 6:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
I believe all of the Alden cases are decorative beyond question. In fact, tugging at the "lip" of the split-reverse welt usually pulls it down enough to see the inside and reveal that the stitching goes nowhere.
Bengal-stripe, I have used this thread:http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?80069-split-welt-vs-reverse-welt from AAAC (which you actually contributed to) as my source and answer to this question when I first came across it. I walked away from that thread with the understanding that no Goodyear-welted shoes currently in production utilize a second row of stitching that is actually functional. I don't recall the source, but I seem to remember reading that the stitching in the image from the original poster's question above was actually someone's attempt to improve the Goodyear-welted construction's "weakness" of using gemming. The second row of stitching helped eliminate the potential for gemming failure, but it fell out of favor due to being inefficient and unnecessary. I will see if I can find the source that I read that from. Thoughts?
This may be all I was remembering: http://www.google.com/patents?id=3fJqAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false The description for the stitching process pictured in the OP's post is discussed in this patent that was issued on March 20th, 1962, well after the invention of the Goodyear-welt. It is presented as an improvement upon the existing Goodyear-welting process, but since it doesn't seem to be practiced by any manufacturers (based on the AAAC thread I posted, and anecdotal evidence that nobody makes them), it must have fallen out of favor simply for being inefficient or unnecessary. It seems that anytime you see stitching apart from the actual sole stitching that is visible on the outside of a Goodyear-welted shoe, it is purely ornamental.post #16249 of 204635/26/13 at 7:44ampost #16250 of 204635/26/13 at 7:47ampost #16251 of 204635/26/13 at 11:15ampost #16252 of 204635/26/13 at 12:24pmpost #16253 of 204635/26/13 at 12:32pm
And not in a "those colours really come to life" kind of way. More in a scary Godzilla/Frankenstein "oh shit it's ALIVE!" kind of way.
But you know what? Who cares? A guy goes and buys ten feet of horned python skin, and gets a local tailor and cordwainer to make any crazy shit they can think of with it. That might not be the most logical or indeed tasteful way to develop one's wardrobe. But it is both ballsy and original, and that I can dig. And weirdly...I don't actually hate these. Although I preferred the monks.post #16254 of 204635/26/13 at 1:50pmpost #16255 of 204635/26/13 at 1:57pmpost #16256 of 204635/26/13 at 3:12pm
cummon red you know what i mean. there's awesome then there's sick which is so far beyond the former it almost defys belief.
then there's the wondering of what sort of mind thunk THAT up . . . . to which the only sheepish answer is simply mine
who made them for you ?post #16257 of 204635/26/13 at 4:33pmpost #16258 of 204635/26/13 at 11:31pmQuote:
I designed them, drew them and a local shoemaker made them for me, wait for some time I've got 4 pairs being made at the moment although not all of them are so daring, nor do they contain exotics but they are also awesome, i drew them toopost #16259 of 204635/27/13 at 2:25pm
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 20 seconds ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 6 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 6 minutes ago
- › WTB: Stephan Schneider Merino Coat (BLACK) - 4/5 7 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 7 minutes ago
- › WTB: Stephan Schneider Merino Coat (BLACK) - 4/5 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 9 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 10 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...