I just bought 3 meters of python skin, just trying to use it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on Today at 1:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/28/15 at 11:25am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:34 pm in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 1:35 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1084
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16247 of 201755/25/13 at 5:36pmpost #16248 of 201755/25/13 at 6:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent
I believe all of the Alden cases are decorative beyond question. In fact, tugging at the "lip" of the split-reverse welt usually pulls it down enough to see the inside and reveal that the stitching goes nowhere.
Bengal-stripe, I have used this thread:http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?80069-split-welt-vs-reverse-welt from AAAC (which you actually contributed to) as my source and answer to this question when I first came across it. I walked away from that thread with the understanding that no Goodyear-welted shoes currently in production utilize a second row of stitching that is actually functional. I don't recall the source, but I seem to remember reading that the stitching in the image from the original poster's question above was actually someone's attempt to improve the Goodyear-welted construction's "weakness" of using gemming. The second row of stitching helped eliminate the potential for gemming failure, but it fell out of favor due to being inefficient and unnecessary. I will see if I can find the source that I read that from. Thoughts?
This may be all I was remembering: http://www.google.com/patents?id=3fJqAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false The description for the stitching process pictured in the OP's post is discussed in this patent that was issued on March 20th, 1962, well after the invention of the Goodyear-welt. It is presented as an improvement upon the existing Goodyear-welting process, but since it doesn't seem to be practiced by any manufacturers (based on the AAAC thread I posted, and anecdotal evidence that nobody makes them), it must have fallen out of favor simply for being inefficient or unnecessary. It seems that anytime you see stitching apart from the actual sole stitching that is visible on the outside of a Goodyear-welted shoe, it is purely ornamental.post #16249 of 201755/26/13 at 7:44ampost #16250 of 201755/26/13 at 7:47ampost #16251 of 201755/26/13 at 11:15ampost #16252 of 201755/26/13 at 12:24pmpost #16253 of 201755/26/13 at 12:32pm
And not in a "those colours really come to life" kind of way. More in a scary Godzilla/Frankenstein "oh shit it's ALIVE!" kind of way.
But you know what? Who cares? A guy goes and buys ten feet of horned python skin, and gets a local tailor and cordwainer to make any crazy shit they can think of with it. That might not be the most logical or indeed tasteful way to develop one's wardrobe. But it is both ballsy and original, and that I can dig. And weirdly...I don't actually hate these. Although I preferred the monks.post #16254 of 201755/26/13 at 1:50pmpost #16255 of 201755/26/13 at 1:57pmpost #16256 of 201755/26/13 at 3:12pm
cummon red you know what i mean. there's awesome then there's sick which is so far beyond the former it almost defys belief.
then there's the wondering of what sort of mind thunk THAT up . . . . to which the only sheepish answer is simply mine
who made them for you ?post #16257 of 201755/26/13 at 4:33pmpost #16258 of 201755/26/13 at 11:31pmQuote:
I designed them, drew them and a local shoemaker made them for me, wait for some time I've got 4 pairs being made at the moment although not all of them are so daring, nor do they contain exotics but they are also awesome, i drew them toopost #16259 of 201755/27/13 at 2:25pm
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 26 seconds ago
- › Ambrosi Napoli 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 4 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG... 5 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 8 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...