Is it me or does the EG, Cleverly, St. Crispin shell look almost like new. Have all of these been worn?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 2/4/16 at 4:10pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:32 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- A primer on shoe creams conditioners, and waxesLast edited: 2/1/16
- What is bullhide, and why is it attractive/desirable? What are its...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1033post #15481 of 204632/15/13 at 8:43pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #15482 of 204632/15/13 at 8:48pmQuote:
Most pics were taken when the shoes were new. The exceptions are the Aldens b/c they were purchased before I got in the habit of shooting pics, crappy as they are.post #15483 of 204632/15/13 at 9:01pmpost #15484 of 204632/15/13 at 9:51pmpost #15485 of 204632/15/13 at 11:05pmA part of my toecap won't take any polish, even after hours spent working them with saphir wax. Shoes are bespokish made by Cliff Roberts in Northhampton. They had a rather bland tan color originally, which I have tried to darken and give some depth with darker polish/wax. Shoes have only been worn a few times, mostly inside.
Any idea why this "mold" has appeared and if there's anything I can do about it? Rest of the shoe takes polish well as you can see.post #15486 of 204632/15/13 at 11:10pmIn my experience, this "mouldy" appearance happens when the polish builds up on the surface of the leather, rather than penetrating into the leather and forming small layers. I usually apply a very light spritz of water using a spray gun and work the polish into the area and then it takes on a nice shine.
Pretty soon they'll be shiny like these:post #15487 of 204632/15/13 at 11:26pmpost #15488 of 204632/16/13 at 12:47amQuote:Originally Posted by p.henrik
A part of my toecap won't take any polish, even after hours spent working them with saphir wax. Shoes are bespokish made by Cliff Roberts in Northhampton. They had a rather bland tan color originally, which I have tried to darken and give some depth with darker polish/wax. Shoes have only been worn a few times, mostly inside.
Any idea why this "mold" has appeared and if there's anything I can do about it? Rest of the shoe takes polish well as you can see. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This question is probably more appropriate for the shoe care thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc), but it looks to me like there might be a flaw in the leather finish dye job. Whether it was originally not noticeable, or it was induced, I don't know.
You might just try stripping the shoes with something like Saphir RenoMat and start your polish job over again. If it is simply a polish issue then this should address it. If it is a dye issue then the shoes may need to be re-dyed.post #15489 of 204632/16/13 at 2:06ampost #15490 of 204632/16/13 at 2:20ampost #15491 of 204632/16/13 at 2:23amQuote:
They look great when unworn...after that they start to look quite terrible. I use shoe trees and polish them (no polish, just reno or dry brushing) fairly regularly. EG shell looks stunning. I have my eye on the Elmsleys in brandy cordovan from the new catalog.post #15492 of 204632/16/13 at 2:59ampost #15493 of 204632/16/13 at 4:21amQuote:
Early attempts on this pair, but my technique has worked well on other shoes. Just dip the polishing cloth in a water/alcohol mix and work the polish. I've used excessive water in the past but don't think that's the problem here. Will try the renomat strip down and start again. If the same problem reoccurs, I might try to return them.post #15494 of 204632/16/13 at 4:26ampost #15495 of 204632/16/13 at 4:34amQuote:Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Belgian Shoes. You guys are going to hate these. Probably the most comfortable shoes I currently own.[/quote
I saw a guy wearing a pair of these when I was in the C&J shop in Burlington Arcade a few weeks ago in a lizard calf. They looked very cool IMO
Not sure I could pull them off and they were slightly too rounded for my personal taste but very elegant, looked well crafted and super comfortable!
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
- › tailors in seoul korea? 2 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 10 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 19 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 21 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 21 minutes ago
- › Help ID the maker of this beautiful bespoke shoe? 27 minutes ago
- › NWT 40R Canali Kei dark grey sportcoat 29 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 33 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...