Is it me or does the EG, Cleverly, St. Crispin shell look almost like new. Have all of these been worn?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 2/10/16 at 3:59am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:26 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:54 am in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1033post #15481 of 204752/15/13 at 8:43pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #15482 of 204752/15/13 at 8:48pmQuote:
Most pics were taken when the shoes were new. The exceptions are the Aldens b/c they were purchased before I got in the habit of shooting pics, crappy as they are.post #15483 of 204752/15/13 at 9:01pmpost #15484 of 204752/15/13 at 9:51pmpost #15485 of 204752/15/13 at 11:05pmA part of my toecap won't take any polish, even after hours spent working them with saphir wax. Shoes are bespokish made by Cliff Roberts in Northhampton. They had a rather bland tan color originally, which I have tried to darken and give some depth with darker polish/wax. Shoes have only been worn a few times, mostly inside.
Any idea why this "mold" has appeared and if there's anything I can do about it? Rest of the shoe takes polish well as you can see.post #15486 of 204752/15/13 at 11:10pmIn my experience, this "mouldy" appearance happens when the polish builds up on the surface of the leather, rather than penetrating into the leather and forming small layers. I usually apply a very light spritz of water using a spray gun and work the polish into the area and then it takes on a nice shine.
Pretty soon they'll be shiny like these:post #15487 of 204752/15/13 at 11:26pmpost #15488 of 204752/16/13 at 12:47amQuote:Originally Posted by p.henrik
A part of my toecap won't take any polish, even after hours spent working them with saphir wax. Shoes are bespokish made by Cliff Roberts in Northhampton. They had a rather bland tan color originally, which I have tried to darken and give some depth with darker polish/wax. Shoes have only been worn a few times, mostly inside.
Any idea why this "mold" has appeared and if there's anything I can do about it? Rest of the shoe takes polish well as you can see. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This question is probably more appropriate for the shoe care thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc), but it looks to me like there might be a flaw in the leather finish dye job. Whether it was originally not noticeable, or it was induced, I don't know.
You might just try stripping the shoes with something like Saphir RenoMat and start your polish job over again. If it is simply a polish issue then this should address it. If it is a dye issue then the shoes may need to be re-dyed.post #15489 of 204752/16/13 at 2:06ampost #15490 of 204752/16/13 at 2:20ampost #15491 of 204752/16/13 at 2:23amQuote:
They look great when unworn...after that they start to look quite terrible. I use shoe trees and polish them (no polish, just reno or dry brushing) fairly regularly. EG shell looks stunning. I have my eye on the Elmsleys in brandy cordovan from the new catalog.post #15492 of 204752/16/13 at 2:59ampost #15493 of 204752/16/13 at 4:21amQuote:
Early attempts on this pair, but my technique has worked well on other shoes. Just dip the polishing cloth in a water/alcohol mix and work the polish. I've used excessive water in the past but don't think that's the problem here. Will try the renomat strip down and start again. If the same problem reoccurs, I might try to return them.post #15494 of 204752/16/13 at 4:26ampost #15495 of 204752/16/13 at 4:34amQuote:Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Belgian Shoes. You guys are going to hate these. Probably the most comfortable shoes I currently own.[/quote
I saw a guy wearing a pair of these when I was in the C&J shop in Burlington Arcade a few weeks ago in a lizard calf. They looked very cool IMO
Not sure I could pull them off and they were slightly too rounded for my personal taste but very elegant, looked well crafted and super comfortable!
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Church's Custom Grade Ashley black calf loafers Excellent condition... 3 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 6 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 10 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 16 minutes ago
- › tailors in seoul korea? 18 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 19 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.