Is it me or does the EG, Cleverly, St. Crispin shell look almost like new. Have all of these been worn?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on Yesterday at 7:12 am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/28/15 at 11:25am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:52 am in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 12:10 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1033post #15481 of 201672/15/13 at 8:43pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #15482 of 201672/15/13 at 8:48pmQuote:
Most pics were taken when the shoes were new. The exceptions are the Aldens b/c they were purchased before I got in the habit of shooting pics, crappy as they are.post #15483 of 201672/15/13 at 9:01pmpost #15484 of 201672/15/13 at 9:51pmpost #15485 of 201672/15/13 at 11:05pmA part of my toecap won't take any polish, even after hours spent working them with saphir wax. Shoes are bespokish made by Cliff Roberts in Northhampton. They had a rather bland tan color originally, which I have tried to darken and give some depth with darker polish/wax. Shoes have only been worn a few times, mostly inside.
Any idea why this "mold" has appeared and if there's anything I can do about it? Rest of the shoe takes polish well as you can see.post #15486 of 201672/15/13 at 11:10pmIn my experience, this "mouldy" appearance happens when the polish builds up on the surface of the leather, rather than penetrating into the leather and forming small layers. I usually apply a very light spritz of water using a spray gun and work the polish into the area and then it takes on a nice shine.
Pretty soon they'll be shiny like these:post #15487 of 201672/15/13 at 11:26pmpost #15488 of 201672/16/13 at 12:47amQuote:Originally Posted by p.henrik
A part of my toecap won't take any polish, even after hours spent working them with saphir wax. Shoes are bespokish made by Cliff Roberts in Northhampton. They had a rather bland tan color originally, which I have tried to darken and give some depth with darker polish/wax. Shoes have only been worn a few times, mostly inside.
Any idea why this "mold" has appeared and if there's anything I can do about it? Rest of the shoe takes polish well as you can see. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This question is probably more appropriate for the shoe care thread (http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/the-official-shoe-care-thread-tutorials-photos-etc), but it looks to me like there might be a flaw in the leather finish dye job. Whether it was originally not noticeable, or it was induced, I don't know.
You might just try stripping the shoes with something like Saphir RenoMat and start your polish job over again. If it is simply a polish issue then this should address it. If it is a dye issue then the shoes may need to be re-dyed.post #15489 of 201672/16/13 at 2:06ampost #15490 of 201672/16/13 at 2:20ampost #15491 of 201672/16/13 at 2:23amQuote:
They look great when unworn...after that they start to look quite terrible. I use shoe trees and polish them (no polish, just reno or dry brushing) fairly regularly. EG shell looks stunning. I have my eye on the Elmsleys in brandy cordovan from the new catalog.post #15492 of 201672/16/13 at 2:59ampost #15493 of 201672/16/13 at 4:21amQuote:
Early attempts on this pair, but my technique has worked well on other shoes. Just dip the polishing cloth in a water/alcohol mix and work the polish. I've used excessive water in the past but don't think that's the problem here. Will try the renomat strip down and start again. If the same problem reoccurs, I might try to return them.post #15494 of 201672/16/13 at 4:26ampost #15495 of 201672/16/13 at 4:34amQuote:Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Belgian Shoes. You guys are going to hate these. Probably the most comfortable shoes I currently own.[/quote
I saw a guy wearing a pair of these when I was in the C&J shop in Burlington Arcade a few weeks ago in a lizard calf. They looked very cool IMO
Not sure I could pull them off and they were slightly too rounded for my personal taste but very elegant, looked well crafted and super comfortable!
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Recent purchases - Part II 51 seconds ago
- › The Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest 2 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 7 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 17 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 18 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 20 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 23 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...