Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on Yesterday at 12:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/28/15 at 11:25am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:21 am in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 8:08 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1031post #15451 of 201742/12/13 at 3:25pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #15452 of 201742/13/13 at 5:08ampost #15453 of 201742/13/13 at 5:22ampost #15454 of 201742/13/13 at 11:07am
Just got these from New & Lingwood on Jermyn Street. I have a low arch and low instep and usually have problems with completely closed quarters and too much room in the vamp. So I was pleasantly surprised to happen across a shoe that fit me perfectly. I would have preferred a darker brown or black but with my odd-shaped foot I couldn't decline a shoe that fits so well.
I was wondering if anyone could identify the maker? The salesman advised me these were actually from the Poulsen Skone range even though - for reasons which were left unclear - the heel cushion is stamped N&L.post #15455 of 201742/13/13 at 2:02pmpost #15456 of 201742/13/13 at 2:40pmpost #15457 of 201742/13/13 at 3:42pm
Many thanks, Grenson appears to check out here.
(Is it poor etiquette to link to a thread on another forum? Apologies if so.)
I must say the most spectacular items in N&L today were the Poulsen Skone apron-stitched chukka boots in beige grain. They're also on the N&L website (link) but the photos there don't do them justice: they were quite stunning in the flesh. The soles, not shown on the website, were fiddled, painted, and had a solitary triangle of nails in the heel. The apron stitching seemed to me exquisite.
Sadly they didn't have my size so I couldn't try them on!post #15458 of 201742/13/13 at 4:04pmpost #15459 of 201742/13/13 at 5:25pmpost #15460 of 201742/13/13 at 5:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by SHS
Can any of the french speaking members tell me if this loafer is GY-welted, or how it is constructed?
crante means knotched. So the rubber sole is attached to the leather by knotching? I suspect it means the rubber is sewn (knotched) onto the leather inner sole rather than just being glued on. Just my surmise.Quote:
This - along with that swan neck detailing around the vamp also favoured by EG. Masterpiece is regarded as slightly superior to EG quality so far ahead of C&J = the normal Poulsen sub-out maker.
In fact they look just like a Masterpiece pair I had from Paul Stuart some years ago.post #15461 of 201742/13/13 at 8:49pmpost #15462 of 201742/14/13 at 12:47am
I don't own any Edward Green shoes but, having tried some on in the London store, I'd have to agree that they have a slight edge on my new Grensons. I think the finishing on EG and Lobb is finer and more accurate. For example, you can see in my photos above that the sole painting is not a deep, lustrous black and has gone over the marked line at the bottom. Similarly the way the heel is closed with a small fold of leather is not the most attractive method:
Small details, but they make a difference. I also have some new Cleverley shoes (non-bespoke) which I would place a little above these in terms of finish, particularly in terms of the richness of colour and antiquing of the leather. However, they don't fit me anywhere near as well!
However, the Poulsen Skone Grensons seem to be very fine shoes and I am pleased with the purchase.post #15463 of 201742/14/13 at 12:50ampost #15464 of 201742/14/13 at 3:08amQuote:
Also, the link doesn't specify how they're made, it just says "stitched". But that doesn't really mean anything - what looks like a welt might be fake stitching for decoration with a glued sole - something I've seen a lot with "fashion" brands.
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 27 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 46 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 58 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 4 minutes ago
- › Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 13 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...