Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 2/16/15 at 6:50pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Guide to shoe lasts / where to buy narrow fitted shoes? Last post on 10/23/12 at 2:51pm in Classic Menswear
- Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy Last post on Today at 8:37 am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1028
Styleforum Top Picks
I don`t think they are water resistant (or any better from regular leather sole). They just flex better, according to an Alden dealer I talked to.
They might not be specifically designed to be water resistant, but they resist water more than regular vegetable tanned soles. I've noticed this from experience. Also here is a description of the various Alden soles pulled from the web;
Different Alden soles behave differently in the rain so I’ll list some of the pros and cons (of the ones I’ve tried) in regards to wet weather.
Double Leather – Decent wet traction. Absorbs quite a bit of water and can wear down faster if wet. Should be allowed to dry fully between wearings.
Commando sole – The rubber tread provides excellent traction in wet weather. The leather mid layers do soak up some water but the rubber outsole grips well and doesn’t wear down as quickly as leather.
Plantation Crepe – Great traction and rain resistance, but the leather tip can get funky and peel back when it gets soaked.
Flex Welt or Water Lock Sole – This sole has been soaked in oil so water will not penetrate as quickly as standard leather. Good water resistance and traction in the rain.
Neoprene and Cork (Indy) – Probably my favorite sole for rain. Almost nothing to worry about. Good traction on wet concrete and excellent wear resistance.
I've been on a "no new shoes" diet for the last couple of months - need to sort some things out for business and be sensible for a while. But my beloved future Mrs Mimo just dropped by with a parcel from Herring Shoes. Sneaky minx told me over lunch that she had to collect some dresses from DHL, but it was these, made by Cheaney and on my wish list for ages:
Not in the league of all you high rollers around here - half price on clearance at a mere $200. But I really love the original "Henley", which I have in beige canvas and tan leather, and when the "Henley II" came out in grey canvas and chestnut calf, then appeared at half price in my size, I was kicking myself for agreeing not to buy new shoes. Now here they are, another perfect complement to my tropical weather linen suit collection. Made my week!
Isn't it great when the ladies understand? :)
Below: the original "Henley",that I've had for a while:
on the courtesy of Simon C. - enjoy...
I visited Vienna earlier in the week, and took a couple of photos of the shoes in the window of Materna. I thought some people might want to see them, I was certainly impressed by the quality for the money and if I end up with the cash I'd consider their bespoke programme.
I didn't ask, but I think these are elephant:
Some black shoes
And some brown:
Some stunning crocodile:
there's also a well regarded contributor to this thread, who already owns his very own pair and enjoys it.
#13917 - http://www.styleforum.net/t/168002/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii/13905#post_5759098
my personal favorite is the black pingrain. saving my pennies...
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
- › Random food thoughts - Street edition 7 seconds ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge: Windowpane or Glen PlaidFeb 27th, 2015 6 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 7 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › gennaro paone: former head tailor of rubinacci 9 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 11 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 12 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 13 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...