or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1022

post #15316 of 19128
Wow. Nice shoes. Can totally see the Japanese obsession.
post #15317 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

are those leather shoe trees stiff enough to exert force? I could not imagine that they do that better than or as well as wooden shoe trees.

They probably absorb much less mpisture compare to wooden shoe trees. But it's such a nice travelling option.
post #15318 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

They probably absorb much less mpisture compare to wooden shoe trees.

All things being equal...ie. varnished or not...I don't see how that could be true. leather is far less dense and far more water absorbent than wood. And worse, with moisture, you would get a potential loss of shape and structural integrity.
post #15319 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

They`re not my shoes smile.gif

Hall & Marks is the MTO Semi-Order line, priced from 120K JPY or so (1300 USD). I believe they allow the base last to be tweaked, and the price also includes 1 test fitting and of course those nice shoe trees drool.gif I would say the quality/price point is similar to Saint Crispins

Guild of Crafts bespoke starts from 300K JPY

That sounds alright, do you have a look to their blog or website?
post #15320 of 19128
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

All things being equal...ie. varnished or not...I don't see how that could be true. leather is far less dense and far more water absorbent than wood. And worse, with moisture, you would get a potential loss of shape and structural integrity.

True. Leather is more absorbent. But Given the volume of material used, wood shouldn't be that far behind.

And as you said, wood does not lose it's shape or color as easy.
post #15321 of 19128
Newer to the forum and have been enjoying going through this thread and seeing all the great shoes I can only hope to own one day. A couple from my current collection below:

Santoni:


Borrelli (bought in 2007, so I think made by Sutor):


Howard Yount:
post #15322 of 19128

ravello lhs
argyles otc

Edited by mcarthur - 1/27/13 at 2:15pm
post #15323 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil10 View Post

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-renovating-recolorant-repair-cream.html#.UPzL6Fy9LCQ

Bordeaux is the same as burgundy for Saphir.

Thanks man appreciated.
post #15324 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

All things being equal...ie. varnished or not...I don't see how that could be true. leather is far less dense and far more water absorbent than wood. And worse, with moisture, you would get a potential loss of shape and structural integrity.

great point. Sometimes decadence and style takes precedence over practicality.
post #15325 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

All things being equal...ie. varnished or not...I don't see how that could be true. leather is far less dense and far more water absorbent than wood. And worse, with moisture, you would get a potential loss of shape and structural integrity.

I found a picture of the underside (seems like an older model). The leather seems quite thick (saddle leather?), supported by some kind of a brace

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I might call them up or visit the store and see what`s up this this leather shoetree biggrin.gif
post #15326 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

I found a picture of the underside (seems like an older model). The leather seems quite thick (saddle leather?), supported by some kind of a brace

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I might call them up or visit the store and see what`s up this this leather shoetree biggrin.gif

You know, I like the idea, I just don't think it's very practical. I could be wrong but it seems almost a gimmick, IMO.

The underside photo is interesting but even more interesting are the creases that are already appearing on the joint area of the left tree.

And yes, it may be saddle leather (thick vegetable tanned) but even the heaviest of saddle leather flexes.

Simply put, leather itself is not a rigid material.
post #15327 of 19128

black cap toe
marcoliani cashmere otc

Edited by mcarthur - 1/28/13 at 12:39pm
post #15328 of 19128

Do you guys use a shoe horn when you're putting on your boots, or do you use them only with shoes?

post #15329 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskl View Post

Do you guys use a shoe horn when you're putting on your boots, or do you use them only with shoes?

I use the pull-tab.
post #15330 of 19128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post


I use the pull-tab.

Brave man. I wouldn't dare to subject the pull-tab to that kind of force, especially with all the broken pull-tabs pictured on the forum lately..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II