You got my message, right?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 8/12/16 at 3:35am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:06 am in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 986post #14777 of 2067312/16/12 at 2:10pmpost #14778 of 2067312/16/12 at 2:15pmpost #14779 of 2067312/16/12 at 3:50pmpost #14780 of 2067312/16/12 at 10:17pm
Gerry how is the leather quality on your black 2eyelet derbies? The leather on mine creased up a bit and after the first wear I noticed some whitish residue in the creases....which is weird since its not cordovan. I had to colour them with Saphir medium brown cream and then wax, but the residue still persisted...like psoriasis.
Last night I applied cream again but this time used Saphir Havana brown (very dark) to polish and now it seems things are turning around.
But still, great shoe and great fit....with these I don't need any fancy Corthay one eye derbies (which I tried and hated).post #14781 of 2067312/16/12 at 11:01pmpost #14782 of 2067312/17/12 at 2:06ampost #14783 of 2067312/17/12 at 3:28amQuote:
No it's gone now but I used much darker brown...i think giving it a few layers of polish over the next few months will probably correct it.post #14784 of 2067312/17/12 at 4:32ampost #14785 of 2067312/17/12 at 4:34am
Interesting statement. Santoni is all up and down the range in styling. From the xtra pointy or xtra Italian styles to the more English traditional lasts as well. Hard to say exactly what Santoni's "look like".post #14786 of 2067312/17/12 at 4:36ampost #14787 of 2067312/17/12 at 7:10am
What? Based on what? It's impossible to label a maker that has shoes from CG blake all the way to hand-welted masterpieces. Regardless, even at the lowest levels, that is a ridiculous amount of cracking. Even AE's shouldn't suffer that way. Using shoe trees alone should prevent that, much less if you polish and condition.post #14788 of 2067312/17/12 at 9:14amBased on the fact that I agree that this amount of cracking shouldn't occur with proper treatment but it did. I know others who share my opinion and have had similar experiences.
Go crazy all you want with high-end, hand-welted constructions methods, I'm not impressed by Santoni's leather quality.post #14789 of 2067312/17/12 at 9:34ampost #14790 of 2067312/17/12 at 10:08amQuote:Originally Posted by isshinryu101
What? Based on what? It's impossible to label a maker that has shoes from CG blake all the way to hand-welted masterpieces. Regardless, even at the lowest levels, that is a ridiculous amount of cracking. Even AE's shouldn't suffer that way. Using shoe trees alone should prevent that, much less if you polish and condition.
Nevertheless cracking like this has been a problem for centuries. Charles' shoe are indicative that even high end bespoke will crack.
There used to be a common perception that floor level urinals were the cause of such cracking--the uric acid being the culprit. But raising urinals hasn't seemed to make a difference.
I suspect that certain leathers are more prone to cracking than others, that's all. And it doesn't have anything to do with the quality except that naturally, lower end leathers may have residual chemicals that were not completely or properly flushed and which accelerate the process.
I also suspect that veg tanned leathers...while much preferred and admired by shoemakers and customers alike...can be more vulnerable simply because veg tans tend to be drier leathers and natural compounds such as tannic acid may be harder to flush or neutralize than chromium salts.
And contemporary tannages are probably at increased risk relative to older, perhaps vintage leathers/shoes.
Some of this is admittedly speculation...I'm not a leather chemist...but if experience is of any value whatsoever, I suspect the answer (if a single answer is ever to be found) will be somewhat close.
Edited by DWFII - 12/17/12 at 10:26am
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 2 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 5 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 7 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 7 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding