or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 699

post #10471 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by lychyrychy View Post

What you say is pretty subjective. In general, closed-channel stitching takes more work and skills to accomplish, therefore it costs more to make. Given a choice, I would go with closed-channel stitching every time because to me, it's elegant and slick. Why do you think only on more expensive brand as you mentioned from EG to Lobb that they always offer closed-stiching channel?
Some people don't care for it, maybe because they're close-minded or whatever the reason might be, but it's hard to argue that closed-channel stitching is cheap to make. At $200 dollars, having it is quite amazing to me.
Admittedly, the upper leather isn't on par with EG or Lobb, I'm not going to talk about upper leather because that's not the point of my post. smile.gif

I wasn't responding to you there.

I personally LIKE closed-channel stitching. It is usually a sign that the maker cared about every detail of the shoes. Of those makers I listed above, each offers closed stitching in its' TOP line. Again, a sign that they are paying closer attention to detail in their top offerings.

However, GIVEN A CHOICE of where one would rather the maker spent manufacturing dollars, uppers or closed channel sole, it seems like a no-brainer. Would you trade a lower quality upper for closed stitching sole? OR, would you trade upper stitch quality (close, straight, uniform) for closed channel soles?

My only point was that in order to sell a pair of shoes for $200, the maker MUST be saving money somewhere in order to still make a profit. If they're paying xtra money for the sole treatment, they MUST be saving it elsewhere in order to still make a profit. All things equal, I like close channel. In a $200 shoe, I'd prefer they spend the money on the construction and the uppers. Soles is last on my priority list.
post #10472 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

I wasn't responding to you there.
I personally LIKE closed-channel stitching. It is usually a sign that the maker cared about every detail of the shoes. Of those makers I listed above, each offers closed stitching in its' TOP line. Again, a sign that they are paying closer attention to detail in their top offerings.
However, GIVEN A CHOICE of where one would rather the maker spent manufacturing dollars, uppers or closed channel sole, it seems like a no-brainer. Would you trade a lower quality upper for closed stitching sole? OR, would you trade upper stitch quality (close, straight, uniform) for closed channel soles?
My only point was that in order to sell a pair of shoes for $200, the maker MUST be saving money somewhere in order to still make a profit. If they're paying xtra money for the sole treatment, they MUST be saving it elsewhere in order to still make a profit. All things equal, I like close channel. In a $200 shoe, I'd prefer they spend the money on the construction and the uppers. Soles is last on my priority list.

i agree, given a choice, I rather have superior upper leather than closed-channel stitching every time. It was just a surprise to me that Markowski had this sole finish. At 200 bucks the upper leather cannot be compared to EG or Lobb and I have already mentioned that.

I replied because I thought you went pretty aggressive there. We're all here to be friendly haha:foo:
post #10473 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

Nice shine, Mac worthy indeed, on those shells.

thank you
post #10474 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemper View Post

Here a picture of the same shoes with the original chestnut burnishing
263

I really like that shoe. I am sure there are people here who believe it is boring but to me it is perfect.
post #10475 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

but clunky as hell, though.

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
post #10476 of 19792
11m8ig5.jpg
ravello medallion cap toe
argyles otc
post #10477 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I really like that shoe. I am sure there are people here who believe it is boring but to me it is perfect.

I like it too, both the shape and the color, don't find it boring.
post #10478 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemper View Post

Here a picture of the same shoes with the original chestnut burnishing
263

wow. how'd you alter the colour
post #10479 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by lychyrychy View Post

What you say is pretty subjective. In general, closed-channel stitching takes more work and skills to accomplish, therefore it costs more to make. Given a choice, I would go with closed-channel stitching every time because to me, it's elegant and slick. Why do you think only on more expensive brand as you mentioned from EG to Lobb that they always offer closed-stiching channel?
Some people don't care for it, maybe because they're close-minded or whatever the reason might be, but it's hard to argue that closed-channel stitching is cheap to make. At $200 dollars, having it is quite amazing to me.
Admittedly, the upper leather isn't on par with EG or Lobb, I'm not going to talk about upper leather because that's not the point of my post. smile.gif

They all look the same with a nice new Topy attached...lol8[1].gif
post #10480 of 19792
You know, I used to go to visit the CBD thread to watch arguments....
post #10481 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

They all look the same with a nice new Topy attached...lol8[1].gif

Reminds me of the people who used to put plastic on their furniture.
post #10482 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

You know, I used to go to visit the CBD thread to watch arguments....

Spoo the arguments here are based on so much more. Gemmed vs. non-gemmed or whether spade shoes from 80 years ago have any relevance in today's world, the average stuff people speak about anywhere in teh world.
post #10483 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post

They all look the same with a nice new Topy attached...lol8[1].gif

I just somehow hate the way it feels walking on topy laugh.gif
post #10484 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemper View Post


Here a picture of the same shoes with the original chestnut burnishing
263


 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Postm


I really like that shoe. I am sure there are people here who believe it is boring but to me it is perfect.


+ 1  I agree they are damn near perfect as they are without the color change- especially 'off the foot'.   But it's not easy to pull off a chestnut bal.  Needs a linen lounge suit or seersucker at a garden party or the track, not so great for work wear or anything formal.  In other words, this kind of shoe is dating very quickly and in most contexts looks like costume, a big no no for me.

 

post #10485 of 19792
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

...come now, every single inch of every piece of shell is unique. Mis-matching pieces shouldn't be an issue as no pairs will ever develop an uniform patina.
Horween shades -- gotta collect 'em all.

i love your AS shell captoe. How do you like the 99 last? is it tts? never tried it before
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II