or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recent non-Sartorialist Looks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recent non-Sartorialist Looks - Page 588

post #8806 of 12849

Quote:

I love anchors.. was thinking of making a clothing line with a friend something along the lines of 'Anchor Supply Co.' or something. I have some great ideas for t-shirts and can get in contact with some of my pops friend's factories over seas to produce shirts/pants/belts/wristbands etc..
Does anyone know if there is a particular brand that revolves around anchors heavily?


It's entirely personal to be sure, but little pictures on trousers etc. whether they are anchors or skulls or horses or whatever, are just about the total antithesis of anything I regard as stylish. They almost almost always scream 'bad taste' and often 'more money than sense'. .

 

As a result, I think your company would make a killing, and you should start it immediately!

 

post #8807 of 12849
Tiny repeating motifs are a hallmark of a preppy stream of ties, belts and pants. These are often anchors, whales, nautical flags, lobsters, etc.. Trousers with animal motifs are called "critter pants."

The danger of building a line around one motif is that you rise and fall with it alone. It's a stylistic monoculture. Lines built around a fishing/nautical heritage, for ex, have a broader style base.

For a real-life example of the monoculture, check the rise and fall of skull-and-crossbones. A few years ago, it was fresh. Then it was omnipresent. Now it's just tired.
post #8808 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

Quote:

It's entirely personal to be sure, but little pictures on trousers etc. whether they are anchors or skulls or horses or whatever, are just about the total antithesis of anything I regard as stylish. They almost almost always scream 'bad taste' and often 'more money than sense'. .

 

As a result, I think your company would make a killing, and you should start it immediately!

 


Haha.. yeah i think the trouser thing is much. I have some blue rugby trousers with little bulldogs all over them. Its cool in a certain setting - but weird everywhere else. I don't think I would go as far as do anything like that. I already have a few designs for shirts, I just need to think of a decent name that also has a domain name available. I like Anchor Supply Co. - and emailed the domain holder of anchorsupply.com for pricing information. I'd like to have these things owned before I do anything.

Other thoughts: Anchor Culture, Ship and Anchor Supply Co., The Anchor (Costs $1500 for theanchor.com), Anchors Aweigh, Ancora Supply Co. (italian for anchor), Ancoris Supply Co. (Latin), Copia Anchorum Co. (Anchor Supply)

Any suggestions. If using a different language I'd prefer latin, but the entire name doesnt have to be in latin. The main thing would be if its simple to remember, not too long and a domain name is available for it (for relatively cheap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post

Tiny repeating motifs are a hallmark of a preppy stream of ties, belts and pants. These are often anchors, whales, nautical flags, lobsters, etc.. Trousers with animal motifs are called "critter pants."
The danger of building a line around one motif is that you rise and fall with it alone. It's a stylistic monoculture. Lines built around a fishing/nautical heritage, for ex, have a broader style base.
For a real-life example of the monoculture, check the rise and fall of skull-and-crossbones. A few years ago, it was fresh. Then it was omnipresent. Now it's just tired.

Thanks for input. Maybe a more nautical approach should be done.
post #8809 of 12849
I have a lambswool polo sweater with pheasants on it and get flack every time I wear it. I love it tho.
post #8810 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

I have a lambswool polo sweater with pheasants on it and get flack every time I wear it. I love it tho.

I can see why...
post #8811 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post

Kiel James Patrick for one...


0udCk.png


Damns...don't know whether to plunk down $115 for that belt, or just glue a tie to the back of my own... laugh.gif
Edited by noob - 10/14/11 at 7:26pm
post #8812 of 12849
*
Edited by Kaplan - 10/16/11 at 2:51pm
post #8813 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesgatz View Post

Whatever one thinks of the fit, the guy has swagger in spades.

Was that an inadvertent politically incorrect, racist pun?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spade
post #8814 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstyle View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUrO6kVoCdE
Little video of Al Bazar and Lino

anytime I think that i dont like lino, im just reminded its all due to jealousy. That guy is just great to me. You can tell that he's comfortable, and enjoying himself.
post #8815 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDickDiver View Post

343330-tony-abbott.jpg

Tony Abbott? You have to be kidding. He never has a good fit.

To non-Australians - what do you think of this look/fit?
post #8816 of 12849
In my opinion, the sleeves of the suit are a bit too long; don't like the color of the tie with the navy suit, more contrast needed; would have preferred a 2 button instead of 3, and don't like the belt buckle.
post #8817 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialBoy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDickDiver View Post

343330-tony-abbott.jpg

Tony Abbott? You have to be kidding. He never has a good fit.

To non-Australians - what do you think of this look/fit?

Bland and ill-fitting.
post #8818 of 12849
242
post #8819 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

242
Wtf, why is he wearing a jacket that is not finished yet on tailoring in public.
post #8820 of 12849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillus View Post

Wtf, why is he wearing a jacket that is not finished yet on tailoring in public.

cause hes a bawss. lol8[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Recent non-Sartorialist Looks