Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- *** The official and awesome DIY thread *** Last post on 7/26/15 at 10:58am in Streetwear and Denim
- FS: Yuketen Angler Surfer Moc 8 13 Jeans sz 29-33 PRPS Triple Works N&F Raleigh Levi Last post on 3/2/11 at 1:47am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Recent non-Sartorialist Looks - Page 573post #8581 of 130219/29/11 at 11:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #8582 of 130219/30/11 at 12:17ampost #8583 of 130219/30/11 at 7:47ampost #8584 of 130219/30/11 at 7:53amThread Starterpost #8585 of 130219/30/11 at 8:17am
I agree with you. The problem with retro is that if you don't pay attention to details, it looks like playing dress-up. Because of his hair, he looks like he's not really committed to this look and unfortunately, that undermines what are actually some pretty damn cool threads.post #8586 of 130219/30/11 at 8:22ampost #8587 of 130219/30/11 at 8:27ampost #8588 of 130219/30/11 at 8:27ampost #8589 of 130219/30/11 at 8:30ampost #8590 of 130219/30/11 at 8:35amQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
I agree with you. The problem with retro is that if you don't pay attention to details, it looks like playing dress-up. Because of his hair, he looks like he's not really committed to this look and unfortunately, that undermines what are actually some pretty damn cool threads.
Perhaps. Conversely, if you simply recreate a retro look down to the last detail, would that not be more 'costume' than anything else?
However, I do agree that this look is not quite gelling, and even that he doesn't look quite convinced himself that the look is 'all that'. For me, I think it's mostly the tie.
I do wish we could see the rest of the look. I'm wondering what it look like if it was completed with straight cut pants but with some fairly high heeled 70's ish shoooooz. Sort of a 70's inspired take on today's slim pants/big shoes look.
The good thing about mr. james is that you can be certain there will be another interesting look to follow - and each seems to offer an intriquing mix of brilliance and absurdity!
Edited by Gdot - 9/30/11 at 8:54ampost #8591 of 130219/30/11 at 8:41amQuote:
Agreed - the jacket simply isn't working here. It's just the wrong cut.
Unfortunately for this look if you take away the jacket there is nothing about it that hasn't been done better a million times already.
I do like me some tweed. And even though turned up collars are often derided, I sometimes like them. But it's a risky touch that usually only works in the hands of a master.post #8592 of 130219/30/11 at 10:40ampost #8593 of 130219/30/11 at 10:45ampost #8594 of 130219/30/11 at 11:19ampost #8595 of 130219/30/11 at 11:26am
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks
Styleforum Top Picks
- 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 34 seconds ago
- › Friday Fit Challenge 7/8 "The Black and white Challenge" 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 3 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 5 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 6 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 6 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 7 minutes ago
- › Shoe Porn: Norvegese, Bentivegna, Goyser, BIG Stitch & BIG Welts ONLY! 9 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...