Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- *** The official and awesome DIY thread *** Last post on 7/2/16 at 7:57am in Streetwear and Denim
- FS: Yuketen Angler Surfer Moc 8 13 Jeans sz 29-33 PRPS Triple Works N&F Raleigh Levi Last post on 3/2/11 at 1:47am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOsLast edited: 5/24/16
- Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash themLast edited: 5/19/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Recent non-Sartorialist Looks - Page 573post #8581 of 130729/29/11 at 11:26pmpost #8582 of 130729/30/11 at 12:17ampost #8583 of 130729/30/11 at 7:47ampost #8584 of 130729/30/11 at 7:53amThread Starterpost #8585 of 130729/30/11 at 8:17am
I agree with you. The problem with retro is that if you don't pay attention to details, it looks like playing dress-up. Because of his hair, he looks like he's not really committed to this look and unfortunately, that undermines what are actually some pretty damn cool threads.post #8586 of 130729/30/11 at 8:22ampost #8587 of 130729/30/11 at 8:27ampost #8588 of 130729/30/11 at 8:27ampost #8589 of 130729/30/11 at 8:30ampost #8590 of 130729/30/11 at 8:35amQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
I agree with you. The problem with retro is that if you don't pay attention to details, it looks like playing dress-up. Because of his hair, he looks like he's not really committed to this look and unfortunately, that undermines what are actually some pretty damn cool threads.
Perhaps. Conversely, if you simply recreate a retro look down to the last detail, would that not be more 'costume' than anything else?
However, I do agree that this look is not quite gelling, and even that he doesn't look quite convinced himself that the look is 'all that'. For me, I think it's mostly the tie.
I do wish we could see the rest of the look. I'm wondering what it look like if it was completed with straight cut pants but with some fairly high heeled 70's ish shoooooz. Sort of a 70's inspired take on today's slim pants/big shoes look.
The good thing about mr. james is that you can be certain there will be another interesting look to follow - and each seems to offer an intriquing mix of brilliance and absurdity!
Edited by Gdot - 9/30/11 at 8:54ampost #8591 of 130729/30/11 at 8:41amQuote:
Agreed - the jacket simply isn't working here. It's just the wrong cut.
Unfortunately for this look if you take away the jacket there is nothing about it that hasn't been done better a million times already.
I do like me some tweed. And even though turned up collars are often derided, I sometimes like them. But it's a risky touch that usually only works in the hands of a master.post #8592 of 130729/30/11 at 10:40ampost #8593 of 130729/30/11 at 10:45ampost #8594 of 130729/30/11 at 11:19ampost #8595 of 130729/30/11 at 11:26am
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 9 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 21 seconds ago
- › E.G. Cappelli Store now LIVE! 56 seconds ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 2 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 3 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding