Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 8/12/15 at 1:37pm in Classic Menswear
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- *** The official and awesome DIY thread *** Last post on 1/30/16 at 12:08pm in Streetwear and Denim
- FS: Yuketen Angler Surfer Moc 8 13 Jeans sz 29-33 PRPS Triple Works N&F Raleigh Levi Last post on 3/2/11 at 1:47am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn Style
Last edited: 10/14/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: May 2015Last edited: 5/7/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: Yesterday
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Recent non-Sartorialist Looks - Page 795
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11912 of 1306310/18/12 at 12:00pmpost #11913 of 1306310/18/12 at 12:02pmpost #11914 of 1306310/18/12 at 12:17pmpost #11915 of 1306310/18/12 at 1:27pmFlying Monkey, where would you wear something like the bright purple or bright green suits? Unless you work as a magical choclatier, I feel like the opportunities are very, very limited.
Sugarbutch, I don't think I'm allowed to thumbs up your post even though I think it's funny. So I won't.post #11916 of 1306310/18/12 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
The green tie and the green hat do tend to push it over the edge... and the red gingham shirt is also a bad choice with the green. I like the suit itself, but green really isn't my colour.
Agreed on the suit, and on how awful the shirt/tie/hat are with it.
Butler showed us a cool green 3pc (I think it was 3pc) tweed suit look a little while ago. His green was a nicer shade though. But still, green tweed suits have a knowing/ironic country squire vibe to them that's kind of funny, in a good way.post #11917 of 1306310/18/12 at 2:40pmpost #11918 of 1306310/18/12 at 2:50pmpost #11919 of 1306310/19/12 at 3:59ampost #11920 of 1306310/19/12 at 5:25ampost #11921 of 1306310/19/12 at 8:07ampost #11922 of 1306310/19/12 at 8:46amQuote:
I am a professor (in the social sciences), I lecture in a university and I do international comparative research. In my university, and in most academic settings, I can wear whatever I want. I would wear suits like this at conferences, meetings, to lecture in, whatever. And I would enjoy it. I would be happy wearing them, and other people would enjoy it too - for whatever reasons, I don't mind. I already do wear things that no-one else wears in my job and I get nothing but good feedback - it even helps my teaching ratings from students, not that this is the reason I do it. I wouldn't wear these when I am off doing the research I do - interviewing senior government officials, or corporate executives or police, for example - in those situations I would wear something that draws no particular attention to itself at all, but would still fit and be of good quality - in most cases, a grey 2-piece suit, or a simple wool or linen jacket and tie (or even no tie, or simply shirt and trousers, depending on the cultural norms of whichever country and city I was in). And of course I dress far differently still when wandering the streets of cities in Japan, or working in poor communities, like the favelas in Brazil, where I have also done research. Given my work, I'm probably more conscious than many people of the diversity of what is 'appropriate' in clothing - I have to be.
What I am arguing against is the kind of broad generalizations that certain people seem to feel they have to make when confronted with examples of something that's been part of a long tradition in male style, but that are outside their own particular comfort zone and the mainstream of SF MC: 'no-one can wear that' - or references to 'the real world' or 'real people' as if suddenly, instead of a rather small interest group of elitist obsessives (which we are), we have become a broad constituency of ordinary Joe Six-Packs confronted with something even stranger and more elitist. The same mechanism goes on in reactions to these things as people confronted by anything we don't understand. We get defensive and suspicisous. The honest response would simply be to say, 'I couldn't wear this', or 'I don't feel that I would be comfortable in this'. Certainly we all make our own aesthetic judgements, but the all-out dismissal and exaggeration says more about our own limitations, if we were being honest with ourselves. Funnily enough, I found myself doing exactly the same thing when confronted by a particular forum character recently, and I've been thinking about my own reaction in this case in the same way.
Apologies for the long and serious response, but I hope this makes sense.post #11923 of 1306310/19/12 at 10:07ampost #11924 of 1306310/19/12 at 11:03am
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 second ago
- › Cigars 2 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 7 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 11 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 12 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...