Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Minimal Closet: What are your must haves? Last post on 11/8/13 at 9:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Does it exist? a jeans or denim line that is really high-end and exclusive that could be... Last post on 6/23/14 at 10:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Rick Owens Boots + Leather, Number (N)ine Jeans and Hoodie, Doir 21cm Jeans Last post on 5/13/11 at 1:42am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
- *** The official and awesome DIY thread *** Last post on 7/26/15 at 10:58am in Streetwear and Denim
- FS: Yuketen Angler Surfer Moc 8 13 Jeans sz 29-33 PRPS Triple Works N&F Raleigh Levi Last post on 3/2/11 at 1:47am in FS: Streetwear & Denim (Archive)
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Recent non-Sartorialist Looks - Page 792post #11866 of 1302110/9/12 at 8:56pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #11867 of 1302110/9/12 at 9:01pmpost #11868 of 1302110/10/12 at 2:51ampost #11869 of 1302110/10/12 at 2:53ampost #11870 of 1302110/10/12 at 2:53ampost #11871 of 1302110/10/12 at 2:54ampost #11872 of 1302110/10/12 at 2:55ampost #11873 of 1302110/10/12 at 7:31ampost #11874 of 1302110/10/12 at 7:56ampost #11875 of 1302110/10/12 at 9:31amQuote:Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Mate go for gold if you think you could pull it off.
But for all intents and purposes it's un-wearable in 99.9% of situations in the real world. And I realise this is not the point, it certainly garnered them a lot of attention of the forums/tumblr so has probably worked well for the publicity side of things.
Much of what people wear here, most ordinary people would consider 'unwearable in the real world', yet we do it anyway. These are beautiful suits, well-cut in colours that are just a little removed from the average but not outrageous, and not anything like the Joker's outfits (which BTW are based partly on zoot suits, which is a whole topic in itself...). And yes, if I could afford them, I would most certainly wear them. There's no reason why I couldn't. I do have one suit that is equally as outrageous and beautiful.
Ich_Dien's answer is the most sensible one so far. There's a long, long conformity that ironically started with rebellion and in many ways male tailoring remains 'Brummelian'. Yet other currents continue to circulate and occasionally influence that mainstream a little. Think of British country suits. Think of Tommy Nutter in the late 60s and 70s in Britain. Or Ozwald Boateng in the 90s. Or indeed, this, which is actually far more restrained than any of those.
I'm always surprised that some men interested in style don't even seem to appreciate the varied currents within men's tailoring. It doesn't mean you have to wear these suits, and the particular combination of accessories in the publicity material is hardly compulsory, but I would expect people here at least to understand what they are trying to do, and appreciate the quality of the results.post #11876 of 1302110/10/12 at 9:52ampost #11877 of 1302110/10/12 at 10:01ampost #11878 of 1302110/10/12 at 10:21ampost #11879 of 1302110/10/12 at 10:22ampost #11880 of 1302110/10/12 at 10:55am
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks
Styleforum Top Picks
- 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Friday Fit Challenge 7/8 "The Black and white Challenge" 17 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 25 seconds ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 29 seconds ago
- › Eidos Napoli 53 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 2 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 3 minutes ago
- › Cigars 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...