• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I get better at basketball?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any resources I can read up?

I love playing basketball, but I kinda suck at it. Once RFL is over I want to start training to get better.

What do I do?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait really?

You tend to either be good or bad?

If your uncoordinated say goodbye to the sport.

What do you suck at specifically?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
Any resources I can read up? I love playing basketball, but I kinda suck at it. Once RFL is over I want to start training to get better. What do I do?
roflbotqfj0.jpg

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually i think people used to learn karate from teh book.

it's hard to tell you what I don't suck at. My crossovers are pretty decent, but I tend to double crossover because my left hand skills suck. I generally don't do layups. I prefer mid range jumpers. I can get a lot of turnovers, but because I like the feeling of stealing a ball I tend to reach instead of defending properly by sidestepping.

I just want to improve everything. I also would like to learn some plays.

Right now I'm tempted to practice invest in the rockhandle and follow the vertical jump bible in a week or a week and a half.

Any resources, articles, books, media, stuff that I can read and watch?

Too late for this IM season, but next IM season I want to be ready.

msanfilippo

Reaction score
Any resources I can read up? I love playing basketball, but I kinda suck at it. Once RFL is over I want to start training to get better. What do I do?
There's a good vhs series by Pistol Pete that you could take a look at. Get in shape. Basketball is an intuitive game just as most games are, be intuitive.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
so this is what I don't get....and apologies, but my pet hate on the boards - as oft documented - is dudes who start threads as an excuse to not do what they know they have to do, and later post all the reasons why that would "be great advice for someone else, but here's the thing..." and then never do ****. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of two things you need to work at that are, ostensibly, the basics. Left hand dribbling, and layups. So then why would you ask for advice online instead of heading to the park and bouncing a ball up and down a zillion times with your left hand until your arm is sore....then practising your crossovers to rest the arm a bit, and finishing with like 20 minutes of layups on alternating sides. Return next day. Repeat. Seems like that would be considerably better use of practise time than SF, is better exercise than typing, more fun, and takes about as long as 5 well thought out posts (although admittedly it takes about a month for SF to accrue five well thought out posts across the board!). I know jackshit about basketball, hell I know jackshit about most things, but when I was a kid I was in junior state rep teams for indoor cricket, a sport that exists in Australia and pretty much nowhere else. When I was training for the nationals I would go to the nearest highschool which had practice nets (American terms, think batting cages) with an old ball, and just bowl (pitch) to no one for like an hour. Middle of winter too, the off season. People looked at me funny. Marked out a target to aim at, and got better with each hour, and by the end of the week, those seven hours paid more dividends than seven hours of reading time ever would. edit:
What do I do?
ok - here's a super simple one for you.... Basketball is damn hard on your cardio, whenever I get roped into playing with my friends, I sweat like I have raped a kindergarten...so as per Zombieland, Rule 1: Cardio. Run 3 mile three times a week, while bouncing a basketball with your left hand the entire way. Figuring some uneven surfaces along the way will give you some new skills. Somewhere en route find a park. Do 30 layups on either side when you are there. Easy, right? Saved you a bunch on books too
smile.gif
Do that for a month, update this thread with your progress, and I'll concoct something else for you to do after that.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of two things you need to work at that are, ostensibly, the basics. Left hand dribbling, and layups.

+1. You just told us what you need to do. work on your left and layups. Also likely strengthen your quads and calves for lateral movements as opposed to trying to steal. Stay low and wide.

A solid game is a game that doesn't show weakness to the opponent. Otherwise they obviously have something to key on. If you can't go left, they defend right etc, etc.

That said, above all get in better shape. When I went to school myself and some friends would routinely beat kids on the basketball team (DII) in pickup games because we were in far better shape. We weren't exactly playing against Duke here, but still - better endurance and solid fundamentals pretty much win out unless your opponent is DI/NBA caliber.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can get better at shooting, especially helpful if you're white and slow.

also, when going left, shoot with both hands if you have to.

and, try dribbling every day. 300 left, 300 right, 300 crossover.

also, learning to cycle through and move without the ball is key. i play with some ex college guys and a guy who played pro overseas and the better amateur and playground players will not tolerate you not knowing where to be.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I played basketball for four years of high school and a year in college. I'm also black, so doesn't that make me an expert on this subject? ..i keed.

Seriously, it really would almost be a waste of time and money to buy a book or videos. It's kind of tough to watch a video or read a book while doing what it is that will help you most: PRACTICE! yea, "we talkin' bout practice man.....practice....practice, man."

I GUESS if you wanna get a book, get one that has a few drills that will help you with fundamentals. Dribbling with your left hand, and certainly lay ups are things you should be practice, you're missing out on a whole segment of your game if you can only shoot a jumper. If you're not hitting your shot, and you always will have bad days, you probably won't get the ball if you can't do anything but shoot if you play with guys who have talent.

Secondly, you can garner a lot of respect by committing yourself to defense. There are a lot of good drills you can do to work on your foot speed among other things. Just keep learning more about the game though, if you're smarter than people you can make up for some of the skills you lack. Play, Play, Play!

...oh yea, and don't worry about plays unless your trying out for a team. Outside of a few VERY BASIC plays (pick and roll, give and go, etc.) most people won't know what the hell you're talking about.

sunror

Reaction score
i think shooting is your best bet for improvement. it's surprising how many nonbasketball college athletes can barely hit rim beyond ten feet. you can be productive in a fast paced game if you can shoot and defend.

your own athleticism, height, what you are good at/what you are bad at should guide you. you can work on your dribble and lefty layup all you want but if you're an unathletic five five asian the reality is you won't be blowing by and finishing past any decent athlete.

if you're a true novice it's probably best to try improving several skills and see which ones you plateau at and which ones you keep improving at.

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmhollis
I played basketball for four years of high school and a year in college. I'm also black, so doesn't that make me an expert on this subject? ..i keed.

Seriously, it really would almost be a waste of time and money to buy a book or videos. It's kind of tough to watch a video or read a book while doing what it is that will help you most: PRACTICE! yea, "we talkin' bout practice man.....practice....practice, man."

I GUESS if you wanna get a book, get one that has a few drills that will help you with fundamentals. Dribbling with your left hand, and certainly lay ups are things you should be practice, you're missing out on a whole segment of your game if you can only shoot a jumper. If you're not hitting your shot, and you always will have bad days, you probably won't get the ball if you can't do anything but shoot if you play with guys who have talent.

Secondly, you can garner a lot of respect by committing yourself to defense. There are a lot of good drills you can do to work on your foot speed among other things. Just keep learning more about the game though, if you're smarter than people you can make up for some of the skills you lack. Play, Play, Play!

...oh yea, and don't worry about plays unless your trying out for a team. Outside of a few VERY BASIC plays (pick and roll, give and go, etc.) most people won't know what the hell you're talking about.

"This ain't the game man... we talkin' bout practice. How am I going to make my teammates better in practice?"

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Matt.

Thank you for the gentle spanking, but from experience there are always more systematic ways to improve whatever you want to improve rather than just doing whatever the hell you feel like you should be doing.

Sure people think they know what they have to do to lose weight, but a lot of times it turns out that their time is wasted and would have been better spent if they had done some research before the started doing whatever they started doing. I remember watching a documentary on a dude who weight 400 some pounds and he basically just stopped eating. He's a lot thinner now, but now he has a ton a flabby skin that he needs surgery for. Or when you see a ton of people at the gym who turn vegetarian and run on a treadmill for a few days, quit then run again, feel guilty about the whole process and is not that much better off.

Doing research on the best process is huge a time and effort saver in the long run.

I personally think that it's a less of waste of time to see what other people have thought about on the subject before starting out. I'm sure there are many sports nutritionists and trainers that have already thought about this in the several decades of basketball playing and I think it's a good idea to see what that is.

I'm sorry if I offended you so much by posting this thread, but I'm that kind of du who reads the manual before he starts a game.

You're on styleforum. What do you think all the noobs are doing in MC if not researching what and how to buy for their first interview suit?

Thank you to everybody who gave good advice. I think I'm going to use the better basketball thingy and see how it goes.

-_-; Hope we win tonight

Skip87

Reaction score
Do the opposite of Allen Iverson as seen here:

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Meet LeBron James
2. ******** with LeBron James
3. Wait 18 years
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads