Originally Posted by indesertum
actually i think people used to learn karate from teh book.
it's hard to tell you what I don't suck at. My crossovers are pretty decent, but I tend to double crossover because my left hand skills suck. I generally don't do layups. I prefer mid range jumpers. I can get a lot of turnovers, but because I like the feeling of stealing a ball I tend to reach instead of defending properly by sidestepping.
I just want to improve everything. I also would like to learn some plays.
Right now I'm tempted to practice invest in the rockhandle and follow the vertical jump bible in a week or a week and a half.
Any resources, articles, books, media, stuff that I can read and watch?
Too late for this IM season, but next IM season I want to be ready.
I played starting point for my varsity team, so I'll to give some advice.
- Get fitter. Do polymetrics. After 1 year of polymetrics my defense improved a lot and I'm commonly used to mark the opponent's best perimeter scorer. Basically stamina + polymetrics = better quickness and endurance to stay on your man. Don't go for the steal always, look to hassle and harass the ball and when off the ball, keep your eyes on the ball but use peripheral vision to take note of your man (e.g is he cutting, is a potential screen coming up)
For help side defence when your teammate is beaten by his man...there's no hard and fast rule, i guess experience counts in this case.
- I improved my dribble constantly by dribbling while watching TV etc. I also improved my weak hand dribble by forcing myself to use my weak hand during pick up game. Took me around 6 months but I'm now ambidextrous.
- As for vertical, doing polymetrics and eating right and keeping lean will be the best bet. I managed to shed weight, lose body fat, got more explosive the more i trained. Currently, Im around 5'10 and I can grab a regulation rim with both hand from a standing position.
- To get quicker, either do suicides, or this one drill i was taught where you touch one end of the FT line, shuffle to the other end, touch the other end and back again.
- Pls don't buy a vertical jump program. Its all hype.
- Lastly, play more and enjoy the game!