• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plan my weekend in Manhattan

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coming to NYC in March for a weekend with my new "interest". Our second date was in NY back in November (we just happened to both be in the city on business the same week). That night we went to the Oak Bar for cocktails, then Park Avenue Autumn for dinner followed by a long walk through the park and down Broadway and finished up in the Hotel bar watching the Yankees win the World Series. It was pretty great.

This time we're staying at the W near Times Square and will have Friday/Afternoon and evening, all day Saturday and breakfast Sunday morning before heading back to Dallas.

My thoughts are these:

* Lots of walking/exploring with lunches at random places we pass along the way.
* Need ideas for a couple of great dinners (not at La Bernardin level...more midrange and not as formal).
* Is there a great show on Broadway we should be looking to get tickets to?
* Good place for breakfasts?
* Other creative ideas?

I'm here to provide feedback and refine the ideas. Come on guys, plan my weekend.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Triomphe at the Algonquin (or maybe the Iriquois?) Hotel on 44th (they are both on 44th) is near your hotel and a good restaurant. DB Moderne is on the same street. 44th btw 5th and 6th is actually one of the best midtown blocks.

Or you could go to L'Ecole at the FCI (Broadway and Grand), dirt cheap classic French made by students and a fun time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can't help you worth a damn, but congrats on rolling big with new squeeze!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Can't help you worth a damn, but congrats on rolling big with new squeeze!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Yes, Congrats! No suggestions, just congrats.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
As for walking, there is something worth seeing virtually everywhere. It really depends on what you are into.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
As for walking, there is something worth seeing virtually everywhere. It really depends on what you are into.

I've probably been to Manhattan 50 times or more and my favorite thing to do is just pick a neighborhood and walk. I'm not there often enough that I get tired of exploring. It's been a few years since I've been down to the Village area, might try to go there.

The brother of a guy in my office manages BLT Fish so that's on my radar. He used to be the manager at Masa several years ago and on one business trip up there I had an amazing meal at Bar Masa one night.

Anyway...good suggestions so far, keep them coming.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Depending on when in March, try for a table at Babbo. There's also Alto and Marea for Italian. Eleven Madison Park is much more flush, but 4-stars, magnificent setting, and food that (IMO) is worth it.

Spend some time browsing through the Met. Then right next door grab dinner/lunch at Johnny's place.

As Manton said, Triomph (it's at the Iroquois) had a very good breakfast last time I went (but I'll be honest, it was 4-5 years ago). DB Bistro Moderne right next door is also fantastic.

Breakfast: Alice's Tea Cup. Decor is not manly man at all, but the food is really good. Can't get enough of the scone's benedict. Or, coffee/espresso/capuccino and pastries at Stumptown.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There are some great townhouse blocks on the UWS. If you like to walk, just go up there and when you get hungry stop at a diner.

The Gramercy area probably has the best concentration of very good restaurants. I had a lovely meal at Maialino recently. Then there was this Portugese place but I forgot the name. Craft, BLT Prime, Gramercy Tavern, Veritas. If you stretch Gramercy to Union Square the options expand.

ragdoll

Reaction score
If you are going to be at the MOMA, I'd suggest Il Gattopardo which is across the street and the Modern.

Maialino has gotten good reviews. I'm going to check it out this weekend.

If you want upscale for less, try Jean-Georges or Eleven Madison Park for lunch.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By B'way shows are you looking for rep or musicals? 3 subscriptions (
plain.gif
) left me a little gunshy/theatre averse, but I've read tons of good things about A View From the Bridge revival w/ Liv Schreiber...

Walking/exploring is great, but have a backup in mind in case of inclement weather.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if MoMA is on the list, I can exchange you free tickets and access to sold out exhibitions in return for some wine
smile.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a cool new(ish) wine bar in Time Warner Center called Clo which is a lot of fun. I'm also a big fan of the Columbus Circle area in general, tons to do around there.

In terms of a show, I saw Wicked and In the Heights on Broadway not too long ago, I thought they were both great.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A "romantic" thing to do is go to something at Lincoln Center (opera, symphony, ballet, whatever) and then to Cafe Des Arists after. It is not a foodie temple by any means, but it is open very late and chicks dig it. Short walk, lovely setting. Then walk down CPW and CPS and 7th Ave (NOT 8th!) on the way back to your hotel.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Then walk down CPW and CPS and 7th Ave (NOT 8th!) on the way back to your hotel.

laugh.gif
Very true!

bullethead

Reaction score
If you go to the Village take her for a walk on the High Line, weather permitting. A View From the Bridge would be an excellent choice for theatre.

If you hit 5th ave, take her to Takishamaya. It is unlike any other dept store I've seen in the US and women seem to enjoy it.

I second the suggestion for drinks at the Algonquin hotel. you can test her mettle after that by taking her to Jimmy's Corner Bar on 44th. best dive in the area. Place has been open for 38 years. Jimmy was a former cut man so there is tons of boxing photos on the wall plus a great jazz jukebox.

If Jimmy's may be pushing it too much, take her for sunday brunch at Jules on St. Marks place. then you can do a relaxing stroll/pub crawl through the e. village, check out the farmers market at Tomkins sq. park, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads