or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Plan my weekend in Manhattan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Plan my weekend in Manhattan - Page 5

post #61 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Rothbart View Post
The all Robbin program ends tomorrow, actually the opening piece Dances at a Gathering is more satisfying than the WSS.

Both were lovely, although it involves admitting liking Chopin.

Which I do.


- B
post #62 of 183
It is impossible to dislike Chopin. That said, I realize that some people claim to, but only because they think it makes them appear sophisticated. They are wrong about that.
post #63 of 183
Why don't you list out what you want to eat (beyond breakfast) and people can give you suggestions. Or did you already do that? And whoever listed out Alice's Tea Cup is straight up weird. Really.
post #64 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
It is impossible to dislike Chopin. That said, I realize that some people claim to, but only because they think it makes them appear sophisticated. They are wrong about that.

No, it is quite possible to dislike Chopin, but this is like hating puppies or a good hot dog.


- B
post #65 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by haganah View Post
Why don't you list out what you want to eat (beyond breakfast) and people can give you suggestions. Or did you already do that?

And whoever listed out Alice's Tea Cup is straight up weird. Really.

I've been waiting for the Carnegie Deli recommendation. Maybe you should do it.


- B
post #66 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
No, it is quite possible to dislike Chopin, but this is like hating puppies or a good hot dog.


- B

I've got to agree. Besides, there are always the Pogorelich recordings for a less traditional version.
post #67 of 183
Quote:

"Coming to NYC in March for a weekend with my new "interest". Our second date was in NY back in November (we just happened to both be in the city on business the same week). That night we went to the Oak Bar for cocktails, then Park Avenue Autumn for dinner followed by a long walk through the park and down Broadway and finished up in the Hotel bar watching the Yankees win the World Series. It was pretty great."

It will be hard to beat the above weekend but you can do it Mark. Have a great time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
God, 48 sounds so old.


- B

Watch it B, or the Goon Squad will be on your ass.

To Mark, here is a real longshot.

It's been a long time for me and I don't know current Manhattan well.

But, as you might know, I was born and raised there. AAMOF, I was born in Beth Israel Hospital on 17th St. and then I was taken home to a walk up apartment at 40 Clinton St. ( Basically Clinton at Stanton ). I lived there till I was 4! The LES was decidedly unfashionable then, and was basically a 1st generation Jewish immigrants neighborhood. Dopey and Mack have told me that the neighborhood has become somewhat fashionable ( GDL knows the area too, I believe ).

You say that you like to explore different neighborhoods for your walking experiences. Someone mentioned Katz's on Houston for a Pastrami sandwich. If you do go there you could walk the LES. Go South from Katz's to Delancey and stop by my birthplace of 40 Clinton St on the way. When conne gets to Washington, I have him working on making 40 Clinton a National Historic Monument

Go wherever you want in the city and have a great time. If you do go to the LES and pay homage to 40 Clinton St. the Pastrami sandwiches are on me. And if you get a chance, take pictures of wherever your walking "new neighborhood" choice is.
post #68 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
I've got to agree. Besides, there are always the Pogorelich recordings for a less traditional version.

My favorite is Moravec. Now, I'll...



Chopin is also a great way to enjoy playing piano if you're not good yourself. So many of us think of music as a spectator event or something produced to us by strangers, but there is cave magic to more personal or familiar expressions of it, particularly music at home.


- B
post #69 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
My favorite is Moravec. Now, I'll...



Chopin is also a great way to enjoy playing piano if you're not good yourself. So many of us think of music as a spectator event or something produced to us by strangers, but there is cave magic to more personal or familiar expressions of it, particularly music at home.


- B

This is the voxiest post of all time. I don't think it can be outdone, but I am also certain that I will be proved wrong. Don't ask me how it is possible to hold both of this opinions simultaneously.
post #70 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Don't ask me how it is possible to hold both of this opinions simultaneously.

I think that you can do it because you are very talented.

Am I warm?


- B
post #71 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Am I warm?

No.
post #72 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
No.



Mattypoo should have taken you on his piggie expedition...you could have broken out the Shun.

Do you play piano? If you don't, I think that the project of learning it would be very satisfying.

You could blog about it.

- B
post #73 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Both were lovely, although it involves admitting liking Chopin.

Which I do.


- B

The same can be said about Bernstein and I love Bernstein. It just that Robbins' omission of several key scores, and amongst other things, that made his NYCB staging seems like chopped up pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
It is impossible to dislike Chopin. That said, I realize that some people claim to, but only because they think it makes them appear sophisticated. They are wrong about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
No, it is quite possible to dislike Chopin, but this is like hating puppies or a good hot dog.


- B

The score for Les Sylphides is dreamingly beautiful, both the piano and orchestrated versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
I've been waiting for the Carnegie Deli recommendation. Maybe you should do it.


- B

Can someone repost 's pastrami & chopped liver sandwich from Catz, I am too lazy to dig it up.
post #74 of 183
11:00AM - Wake 11:15AM - Coffee 11:30AM - This Old House 12:00PM - Baking With Julie 01:00PM - Everybody Loves Raymond 01:30PM - M*A*S*H 02:00PM - M*A*S*H 02:30PM - M*A*S*H 03:00PM - Everybody Hates Chris 04:00PM - M*A*S*H 05:00PM - Gilmore Girls 06:00PM - 8 Simple Rules 07:00PM - Extreme Makeover - Home Edition 08:00PM - Ghost Whisperer 08:30PM - Bed
post #75 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post


Mattypoo should have taken you on his piggie expedition...you could have broken out the Shun.

Do you play piano? If you don't, I think that the project of learning it would be very satisfying.

You could blog about it.

- B

Yes, I do play. Therefore I know from experience that your implicit assertion that Chopin is somehow "easy" is absurd. I realize that it was just another vox Annie-Oakley-style "I Can Do Anything" boast, but come on.

Very excellent string of insults, though. Worthy of Horace. There must be something in that Boston water.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Plan my weekend in Manhattan