or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Plan my weekend in Manhattan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Plan my weekend in Manhattan - Page 4

post #46 of 183
Thread Starter 
One more thing on the music clubs, I'm 48, she's...well...younger but in the same general demographic, so 20-something bump and grind places won't really work.
post #47 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
One more thing on the music clubs, I'm 48, she's...well...younger but in the same general demographic, so 20-something bump and grind places won't really work.

God, 48 sounds so old.


- B
post #48 of 183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
God, 48 sounds so old.


- B

It's ancient. Do you have some point grampa?
post #49 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
A "romantic" thing to do is go to something at Lincoln Center (opera, symphony, ballet, whatever) and then to Cafe Des Arists after. It is not a foodie temple by any means, but it is open very late and chicks dig it. Short walk, lovely setting. Then walk down CPW and CPS and 7th Ave (NOT 8th!) on the way back to your hotel.
Cafe Des Artistes closed last fall, FYI
post #50 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Had a very good meal at Il Buco last night. Average NY prices and a great atmosphere. For after your drink at PDT.

lefty

I am a big fan of Il Buco. Also Blue Hill.

For drinks - the cocktail thing was dying down a bit, but go early and have a bartender's choice at Little Branch. August also has great brunches.

Damn it, now I miss New York - I really need to move back.
post #51 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Cafe Des Artistes closed last fall, FYI

This is why I suggest Chanterelle.


- B
post #52 of 183
Plano is in Texas and thus Kobe club bitches
post #53 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
It's ancient. Do you have some point grampa?

How out-of-towner is your date? If she is not as jaded as someone of your advanced age, I think that West Side Story and South Pacific are both good date shows.

Have you ever walked around Brooklyn Heights? That can be fun and interesting, and you could do brunch or lunch at the River Café.


- B
post #54 of 183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
How out-of-towner is your date? If she is not as jaded as someone of your advanced age, I think that West Side Story and South Pacific are both good date shows.

Have you ever walked around Brooklyn Heights? That can be fun and interesting, and you could do brunch or lunch at the River Café.


- B

She's much hipper than I am (not a difficult standard to meet, really) and I have a Rogers and Hammerstein allergy for which there is no effective medication. West Side Story is a possibility (Sondheim is cool).

The website for the River Cafe looks amazing, but I'm wondering whether as a tourist I'm permitted to leave Manhattan. Do I need a special permit for that?
post #55 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
She's much hipper than I am (not a difficult standard to meet, really) and I have a Rogers and Hammerstein allergy for which there is no effective medication. West Side Story is a possibility (Sondheim is cool).

The website for the River Cafe looks amazing, but I'm wondering whether as a tourist I'm permitted to leave Manhattan. Do I need a special permit for that?

The River Café is tourist-approved. Women especially love it. If you haven't been, you should go. The two best NYC restaurant views are from there and from Asiate at the Mandarin.

The City ballet just had a great all Robbins show, which including a suite of the West Side Story numbers. Unfortunately, you'll miss it...you might have won cool points with your date.


- B
post #56 of 183
If not already suggested, consider late night drinks at Birdland on Friday or Saturday night. I have a few years on Plano and the room is fun, the drinks good, and the music can be wonderful.
post #57 of 183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc237 View Post
If not already suggested, consider late night drinks at Birdland on Friday or Saturday night. I have a few years on Plano and the room is fun, the drinks good, and the music can be wonderful.

This looks interesting too, and only about 3-4 blocks from the hotel.
post #58 of 183
An under-rated, IMHO, place for lunch would be David Burke's Townhouse. If you walked around the West Village and lower Chelsea, you could do lunch at Toqueville, another under-rated place. Both would be very pricey for dinner, but relative bargains for lunch.

Certainly walking around the EV is fun, the little shops all along the side streets from 11th to 6th between Avenue A and 2nd Ave are inteesting and women certainly seem to enjoy them. You could have dinner at a nice Argentinian-style steak house called Buenos Aires (on 6th between A & B) and finish by listening to Jazz at Bistrouge on 13th near Avenue A (check ahead for hours and line up).
post #59 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
The City ballet just had a great all Robbins show, which including a suite of the West Side Story numbers. Unfortunately, you'll miss it...you might have won cool points with your date.


- B

The all Robbin program ends tomorrow, actually the opening piece Dances at a Gathering is more satisfying than the WSS.
post #60 of 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano View Post
She's much hipper than I am . . . West Side Story is a possibility (Sondheim is cool).

Again, Marie's will fit the bill.

The place is a bona-fide dump. The bar is stocked like a low-class Bar Mitzvah. Now the CBGB's is closed, the bathrooms at Maries Crisis' are the WORST in the city. The liquor is watered down and I wouldn't drink from one of those glasses without rubbing purell on the rim.
But then the brilliant piano players begin and the crowd starts to get giddy and then some chubby tragic girl attempts a song from Sunset Blvd. and we all clap wildly even though we know we're only prolonging her agony. The next thing you know it's two AM and you are touched by the old-timers and inspired by the young kids and amazed at the skills of the pianist....and it's just great.

lefty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Plan my weekend in Manhattan