• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First watch $500 budget

boxdiver

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing my first watch....and would like to keep the budget at around $500.

I would be wearing the watch mainly for nights out and possibly to work. I really don't know what kind of band...so I guess I would say any kind.

Basically my wrist is naked...I'd like to get a good-looking watch...and I'd like to spend around $500.

Thanks.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money. Anything between $10-1000 is pointless when it comes to watches.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7cw8bn.jpg
Less than $500 shipped. Great CS. Link You have lots of options. Tissot, Seiko, etc. Check Watchuseek and Timezone used FS forums for some fine watches around $500. Others will have great ideas. Have fun and enjoy.

thinksimple

Reaction score
I'm (sort of) in the same boat. I'm hoping to get into something for $600, and I've been looking at a used Breitling Colt. Unfortunately, Breitlings at $600 are few and far between, but I'm in no rush. I'm also looking at the Tissot PRC200, and the C4 from Christopher Ward. My only issue with CW is that I can't checkout to find out how much the total will be after shipping and duties (their website isn't playing nice with me).

Wrigglez

Reaction score
seiko spirit?

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
7cw8bn.jpg
Less than $500 shipped. Great CS. Link You have lots of options. Tissot, Seiko, etc. Check Watchuseek and Timezone FS forums for some fine watches around $500. Other will have great ideas. Have fun and enjoy.

Also try Poor Man's Watch Forum. Seiya Japan has good stuff for less than $500 -- might need to spend another $40 on a new band on some of them. You might want a diver, given your proclivities, and depending on how formal work is. If so, Seiko makes good ones for well under $500 (and also more).

ed1066

Reaction score
I think my FIRST watch, which I bought in high school, cost me about $30. Man, things have changed...

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Check out the Pilots at Steinhart

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Don't waste your money. Anything between $10-1000 is pointless when it comes to watches.

I do not agree with this sentiment.

I own a Tissot Le Locle, paid $320 US for it on Ebay. It's an extremely well made watch for the price point. Obviously it's no comparison to my IWC, but that would be like comparing apples with oranges.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Archimede.

Nice watch, but not sure how well it does with suits. 44 mm. OP mentioned for work/evenings.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
H70555533.jpg

42mm Hamilton, a bit bigger than the normal khaki, cost is right under $500

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Also try Poor Man's Watch Forum. Seiya Japan has good stuff for less than $500 -- might need to spend another $40 on a new band on some of them. You might want a diver, given your proclivities, and depending on how formal work is. If so, Seiko makes good ones for well under $500 (and also more).

Timezone has it for $200, mint http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...&start=0&rid=0

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads