• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One evening in Prague - what should I see, where should I go?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had a couple of free hours in Prague and had never been before, where would you go? Where would you grab a bite and go for a quick walk?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
as usual for you, I have no answer but I'm sure the GF does. She spent a bunch of time there for some architecture stuff. I'll let you know what the email says.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gome - what would you do without your girl?
wink.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
gome - what would you do without your girl?
wink.gif

I'd be one boring ass person. I still am, but I'm at least slightly more "cultured"

I can try for more detail, but she says:
so check out two squares, Old Town Square (with the clock) and Wenceslas Square. Then cross the Charles bridge (it has a lot of vendors selling stuff on it, some cool jewelry and other stuff). The castle will be on this side, I think tours take awhile, but its worth going up to, you can go around the complex, I think there are little streets up there with lots of stores selling things (i think, could be recalling a different city - if it was in prague, they were really nice)

FWIW, she has always spoken very highly of both Prague and Vienna.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks - will be at night so no tours and probably no shopping either. I'll just go for a bite and a walk, maybe a drink. I saw Cafe Savoy as a recommendation in another Prague thread - any good? any other recs for dinner?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, you have to go to the Old Town Square, and there is plenty to see just walking around that area of town. There are a lot of stalls and vendors and people milling about. Duck into just about anywhere for a drink and it will be entertaining.

You might consider the Jewish Quarter, which is really quiet and spooky at night, very evocative. I purposefully read some Kafka while I was there and it was a heck of an experience.

Wenceslaus Square is easily walkable from that area and is a good area, maybe not so much to do there but you can brush off the gypsy hookers and just take in the scene of the Velvet Revolution. It's a pleasant walk at night, though it might be freezing this time of year.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Cool thanks - will be at night so no tours and probably no shopping either. I'll just go for a bite and a walk, maybe a drink. I saw Cafe Savoy as a recommendation in another Prague thread - any good? any other recs for dinner?

The squares will be nice to see at night, Wenceles is really large, would be cool lit up. The other one isn't more than 5 minutes away and is smaller, has the very famous astronomical clock. I liked walking places at night, it was very pretty to come across these squares lit up.

We had apartments with kitchens so I ate at home while I was there. I don't have any personal recommendations, I'm sure there are good places in those squares, I could try to look some stuff up if you want me to, but I'd be doing the same thing they would be doing.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Really nice city, with only one evening I'd recomend the same as further up above suggestions.

Walk through/past the square, meander over the bridge, and then up up up to the castle for a city view. I'm not sure if the castle grounds "close" at some point, so could do those three in reverse.

Cabs I think are pretty cheap and so is beer. Try picking up some of the real absinthe, not all are created equal. The good stuff is pretty good.

Check wikitravel's page on Prague too for ideas+info

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
The squares will be nice to see at night, Wenceles is really large, would be cool lit up. The other one isn't more than 5 minutes away and is smaller, has the very famous astronomical clock. I liked walking places at night, it was very pretty to come across these squares lit up. We had apartments with kitchens so I ate at home while I was there. I don't have any personal recommendations, I'm sure there are good places in those squares, I could try to look some stuff up if you want me to, but I'd be doing the same thing they would be doing.
This. When I was in Prague at the end of the nineties I had some good nights at the Bunker
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. This may not be your cup o' tea though. I doubt it's still mine. One thing I do recommend, If still available, is to experience a Czech bar, as opposed to a tourist bar. If only to experience the dowdiness. Order a beer. If you're lucky the barman will bring it to the table along with a small white piece of paper with one (1) line on it. This is the cheque. And if you're really lucky he will come by again when you are only halfway into your beer, take it from the table and give you a fresh one, along another line on the 'cheque'. Czech hospitality at its finest. Too bad you can't see the blue coveralled workers at 9 in the morning drinking the same as you. Keep in mind my last exposure to Prague was 10 years ago. The bars as described probably moved further from the centre. Damn Glasnost and especially Perestroika.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the city is pretty walkable. As others indicated start around the Old Town Square. You can walk down Karlova (I think), a long windy street full of little shops and it will end up at Karlovy Most (Charles Bridge). Walk across it and you can get to the Castle. Very nice city - I enjoyed it a lot when I was there in October.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - pretty much in line with what I have in mind. Old Town, walk around, grab a bite, Charles bridge, grab a Pilsner Urquell, call it a night.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
grab a Pilsner Urquell

but surely there are other local varieties that you cannot find here at the states to try.

Then again, the only beer we drank in Italy was Peroni. And it's the only beer we saw anybody else drink. Now we get our Peroni fix from Duane-Reade.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draft unpasteurized Pilsner Urquell is not something I'd find here, and I'm sure a very different taste altogether. When in Rome...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
ok, safe, I was assuming the bottles. They have it on tap at MSG, but I'm not sure if it's unpasteurized. And it's $9.50 a glass.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have a Budweiser (Budvar). Better than PU.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads