or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › The Accountability Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Accountability Thread

post #1 of 325
Thread Starter 
I know some of you have been trying to get on a diet and exercise regimen. I know I have (see my failed new years resolution thread)

I personally want to get down to the single digit body fat range. I realize calipers aren't the best method to measure them, but it's all I have access too.

I want to follow the Lyle Mcdonald regimen, which is 180 g protein, 30 g high fiber carbohydrates, ECA (actually ECGreenTeaExtract) stack three times 4 hours apart, 3 g fish oil, 1 g calcium, 1 pill multivitamin daily for 2 weeks.

I basically wake up late for breakfast and get munchies later at night. I also get tired of chicken breast and tuna. I also also really really have a soft spot for bread and pastries.

I'm going to do the above mentioned food intake with 3x a week crossfit warmup regimen. cardio will come from playing basketball and popping sessions.



Basically what I want to do is have people post what they ate that day and whether or not they followed their exercise regimen. I think holding each other accountable will help a lot more.

Tomorrow I will post weight, height, and bf%

Anybody want to join me?
post #2 of 325
I've tried RFL before. It's tough, but it works. You'll have to cut down your workout volume though. I don't remember if he mentions it, but you'll also be very thirsty these 2 weeks. Drink lots of water. Good luck.
post #3 of 325
RFL or UD2.0 is all about enduring pain. If you are willing to suffer, the gains will surely come. I have used UD2.0 to get down well below 10%. But the 3.5 days of low carbs are hard - there's no doubt about that. It gets better after a couple of weeks but it is never pleasant.
post #4 of 325
i'll play.

i ate:

3 muscle milk shakes made with almond milk and half and half

3 chicken breasts over spinach salad with goat cheese

2 6 oz steaks with brocolli

2 fig newtons

6 cups black coffee

2.5 gallons water

training:

2 four minute tabatas and 30 minutes HIIT before work

trained quads, hams, calves, abs and lower back at night
post #5 of 325
i don't think 3.5 lo/no carb days are enough if you are 15% bf or over. i think it is better, IME, to go 4 days 30-50g carbs, 1 heavy carb up day and 2 days of no more than 1g per pound of LBM.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf View Post
RFL or UD2.0 is all about enduring pain. If you are willing to suffer, the gains will surely come. I have used UD2.0 to get down well below 10%. But the 3.5 days of low carbs are hard - there's no doubt about that. It gets better after a couple of weeks but it is never pleasant.
post #6 of 325
UD2 isn't recommended for those over 15%. You're better off just cutting calories until you're closer to 12% or so.

I found the two week protocol much more effective.

lefty
post #7 of 325
3rd work out of the week today. Go back to the gym on Saturday.

2cu whole milk, 1/2cu rolled oats, 1cu coffee in a glass
1cu tomato juice
300+150+50 = 500 cal prework out

work out

1cu whole milk, 1cu rolled oats, handful dried cranberries / walnuts / almonds / sesame seeds
150+300+??300 = 800 cal post work out

3 servings 4% milkfat large curd cottage cheese
120x3=360

1 lb chicken, 2x whole wheat tortillas, 2 T olive oil mayo, squirts sriracha, cu spinach across 2 meals
??480+300+150 = 1050

2cu whole milk, two boiled eggs, 350 calories of beans
300+160+350=810

1cu whole milk
150

~3700 cals?

I like this meal plan because in the future I can simply cut out the milk if I decide to maintain or lose weight. Since we don't "feel" liquid calories, I won't even notice that I am "eating" less. I don't drink so much milk on off days.

Today was a 20 rep squat, overhead press, deadlift, pull ups, and prone bridges. When I started eating this meal plan, my OP went up, but it seems to have stalled again. Realistically, it probably went down today. My bench continues to creep up a bit.

My upper body seems comparatively weak to me. The only thing I am good at is deadlifting. I did 245x5 today which means my DL is officially 80 lbs more than my squat. I only OP 60% and bench 82% of my BW. I'm heavier than I have been in over 10 years at 145.

I have noticed if I stop eating beans, I lose like 2 lbs a day, haha.

I need to take advantage of the form check my gym offers for squats.

I need to make progress on my upper body. I have a history of increasing my OP and then it gets worse and worse until I give up and drop the weight 5 lbs. Don't really know what the fuck.

I love advice and smart suggestions if anyone has any tips to share.
post #8 of 325
Thread Starter 
Wow you guys are really intense and have so much discipline. I have a lot of respect for you and Kunk. Holy crap Kunk 6 cups coffee? How do you go to sleep at night? and db_ggmm what's with all the whole milk? Isn't that a lot of saturated fat? I realized I don't have a scale, but two days ago I was 155lb, I'm 5' 9.75", and body fat is 12.9% (but from what I understand calipers are give or take 3, 4%). I can see the the top 6 pack, but the bottom pack is harder to see. Also most of my fat is concentrated on thighs and glutes (-_-; TMI?) I did my "crossfit" regimen (pullups 8x3, gluteham situps 15x3, supermans 15x3, pushups 20,25,22,22,40. i substituted some stuff because no access to proper gym). I'll start timing this next time. I did the ECG stack once today (woke up late yet again), multivitamin, calcium, but no fish oil So far I had 2 X 2 cans of Tuna (60g x2 = 120 gprotein), lemon juice, cholupa, worchestshire, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, with leftover fennel salad (1 cup x 2 cups of fennel = 2 x 6 = 12g carbohydrates) twice today. Have yet to eat dinner, but will probably be brisket, korean style. Also drank a cup of FTGFOP 2nd flush organic darjeeling. Delicious. SOooooo good. Had a tiny bite of the birthday carrot cake my brother bought me. I'm so proud of myself. I think is the first time I actually stuck all the way through the diet (except for the carrot cake part). Usually by now I would've snacked on something. Dinner and sleep is the next hump. Going to try and go to sleep before 12 tonight. Going to play IM basketball later tonight. Hopefully we will win (-_-; we've won one single game the past 3 years and that was when the other team forfeit/didn't show up). Alriiiight!! Let's see if we can get this rolling
post #9 of 325
I forgot coffee, mostly. On average, I drink maybe 30 ounces a day. Less on off-work days, more on my 3 12hr night shifts a week.

I'm not afraid of saturated fat. I suppose if my labs go bad, I'll think about it. Saturated fat contains cholesterol and cholesterol is a precursor (or building block, whatever) of testosterone. It is also a calorie source. I need those 900 cals I get from milk on my work out days, apparently. I want protein, fat, and sugar in my milk, not just protein and sugar. I'd drink lactose free organic milk if it were feasible.
post #10 of 325
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
I forgot coffee, mostly. On average, I drink maybe 30 ounces a day. Less on off-work days, more on my 3 12hr night shifts a week. I'm not afraid of saturated fat. I suppose if my labs go bad, I'll think about it. Saturated fat contains cholesterol and cholesterol is a precursor (or building block, whatever) of testosterone. It is also a calorie source. I need those 900 cals I get from milk on my work out days, apparently. I want protein, fat, and sugar in my milk, not just protein and sugar. I'd drink lactose free organic milk if it were feasible.
Alright from my meager education as a bio major, I know acetyl coA can be converted to squalene which is the precursor for cholesterol, which is a precursor for a lot of hormones. I also know of that one famous study where rats were fed a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol which raised their HDL and lowered their LDL, but I thought there was a lot of evidence for increased insulin resistance that is associated with a diet high in saturated fats. I dunno. Nutrition isn't my area of expertise. -_-; the spliceosome is somewhat. Anyways to finish off the day I had maybe 8 oz of chuck as bulgogi and a bit of onions. Unfortunately I had a slice of birthday cake that my friends made for me as a "surprise" birthday party. But I'd rather go off diet than be a douche. 12:22 right now. I'm going to go sleep around 1. Also. -_- we lost our basketball game 38-19.... and the other team only 4 guys.... -_- just terrible
post #11 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
I thought there was a lot of evidence for increased insulin resistance that is associated with a diet high in saturated fats.

Maybe 'why' will chime in, but I am under the impression that obesity and carb heavy diets are most closely associated with insulin resistance.
post #12 of 325
is okay. my son's team lost 28-12 the other night; my son scored all 12 which is not good either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
Alright from my meager education as a bio major, I know acetyl coA can be converted to squalene which is the precursor for cholesterol, which is a precursor for a lot of hormones. I also know of that one famous study where rats were fed a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol which raised their HDL and lowered their LDL, but I thought there was a lot of evidence for increased insulin resistance that is associated with a diet high in saturated fats.

I dunno. Nutrition isn't my area of expertise. -_-; the spliceosome is somewhat.


Anyways to finish off the day I had maybe 8 oz of chuck as bulgogi and a bit of onions.

Unfortunately I had a slice of birthday cake that my friends made for me as a "surprise" birthday party. But I'd rather go off diet than be a douche. 12:22 right now. I'm going to go sleep around 1.

Also. -_- we lost our basketball game 38-19.... and the other team only 4 guys.... -_- just terrible
post #13 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post
Alright from my meager education as a bio major, I know acetyl coA can be converted to squalene which is the precursor for cholesterol, which is a precursor for a lot of hormones. I also know of that one famous study where rats were fed a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol which raised their HDL and lowered their LDL, but I thought there was a lot of evidence for increased insulin resistance that is associated with a diet high in saturated fats.

None that I've seen in any well-made study. Some studies will test obese subjects that live on chocolate and cookies and then blame the saturated fat in their food. Most studies will show diabetics and pre-diabetics do better on low-carb diets for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
I'm not afraid of saturated fat. I suppose if my labs go bad, I'll think about it. Saturated fat contains cholesterol and cholesterol is a precursor (or building block, whatever) of testosterone. It is also a calorie source. I need those 900 cals I get from milk on my work out days, apparently. I want protein, fat, and sugar in my milk, not just protein and sugar. I'd drink lactose free organic milk if it were feasible.

Saturated fat doesn't always have cholesterol. Diets high in saturated fat tend to raise total cholesterol levels, but this is dependent on the person (including their diet) and their initial cholesterol. The body regulates cholesterol through the HMG-CoA pathway, so it has feedback loops to increase or decrease cholesterol as it needs. Increasing saturated fat intake as a percentage of total intake won't lead to more hormones (these are regulated through other feedback loops).

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Maybe 'why' will chime in, but I am under the impression that obesity and carb heavy diets are most closely associated with insulin resistance.

For the most part, yes. And by 'carb-heavy' I'm not speaking as a percentage of total intake, I'm talking about absolute values (e.g. a person that eats 700g [2800kcal] of carbs/day and sits on their ass).
post #14 of 325
As far as Lyle's diet goes: I think it works for low calorie dieting, but it didn't really produce any better results for me or some others I know than normal dieting with exercise. After 3 days or so of low carbs the skin becomes more taut, and the carbs increasing the size of the underlying musculature on the carb-up days produces a nice aesthetic effect, but the diet doesn't work for anyone who has their own training schedule and I personally think Lyle's training regimens are ineffective.

And the 'eat more protein during high caloric deficits to offset muscle loss' is kinda :wtf:. Most people just piss out more protein and they retain muscle mass better because of the insulin increasing during gluconeogenesis (in other words, their liver is making more carbs and raising insulin levels as a result).
post #15 of 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by db_ggmm View Post
3rd work out of the week today. Go back to the gym on Saturday.

2cu whole milk, 1/2cu rolled oats, 1cu coffee in a glass
1cu tomato juice
300+150+50 = 500 cal prework out

work out

1cu whole milk, 1cu rolled oats, handful dried cranberries / walnuts / almonds / sesame seeds
150+300+??300 = 800 cal post work out

3 servings 4% milkfat large curd cottage cheese
120x3=360

1 lb chicken, 2x whole wheat tortillas, 2 T olive oil mayo, squirts sriracha, cu spinach across 2 meals
??480+300+150 = 1050

2cu whole milk, two boiled eggs, 350 calories of beans
300+160+350=810

1cu whole milk
150

~3700 cals?

I like this meal plan because in the future I can simply cut out the milk if I decide to maintain or lose weight. Since we don't "feel" liquid calories, I won't even notice that I am "eating" less. I don't drink so much milk on off days.

Today was a 20 rep squat, overhead press, deadlift, pull ups, and prone bridges. When I started eating this meal plan, my OP went up, but it seems to have stalled again. Realistically, it probably went down today. My bench continues to creep up a bit.

My upper body seems comparatively weak to me. The only thing I am good at is deadlifting. I did 245x5 today which means my DL is officially 80 lbs more than my squat. I only OP 60% and bench 82% of my BW. I'm heavier than I have been in over 10 years at 145.

I have noticed if I stop eating beans, I lose like 2 lbs a day, haha.

I need to take advantage of the form check my gym offers for squats.

I need to make progress on my upper body. I have a history of increasing my OP and then it gets worse and worse until I give up and drop the weight 5 lbs. Don't really know what the fuck.

I love advice and smart suggestions if anyone has any tips to share.

3700 calories??? Jeebus. How heavy are you? And what is your physical activity level?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › The Accountability Thread