or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dry-cleaners in Adams Morgan
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dry-cleaners in Adams Morgan

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone. I just moved into to the corner of Biltmore and Columbia Streets in Adams Morgan/Dupont. There are a couple of cleaners on the block, but I don't know which is good. (I already know one is shit.) I want the best cleaners around, people. Any recommendations for cleaners who can handle awesome, delicate, expensive clothing?

Let me know! Thanks!
post #2 of 18
IMO. the best cleaners in the DC area is Parkway. While they do cost more and are located in Chevy Chase, they pick up and deliver. I have been using them for my bespoke shirts and they haven't ruined on yet in nearly two years!
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Can you please give me a rough estimate of their prices?
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialism View Post
Hey everyone. I just moved into to the corner of Biltmore and Columbia Streets in Adams Morgan/Dupont. There are a couple of cleaners on the block, but I don't know which is good. (I already know one is shit.) I want the best cleaners around, people. Any recommendations for cleaners who can handle awesome, delicate, expensive clothing?

Let me know! Thanks!
When I lived there several years ago I always went to the dry cleaners right by the Woodley Park-Zoo Metro stop. It's a 15 minute walk from you (right on the walk home if you take the Metro). I brought them all my work suits & shirts and never had a problem. Several times I needed to drop off that morning & pick up THAT evening (nothing like waiting until the last minute) -- and they always did it. My info is a little dated, but they were a long-time establishment that did the work on the premises, so they should still be there. Sorry, I cannot recall the name (but it was NOT Debonair). By the way -- I used to live at 1951 Biltmore. Man I miss that neighborhood.
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialism View Post
There are a couple of cleaners on the block, but I don't know which is good. (I already know one is shit.)
Which one - on Columbia Road I presume - did you have a bad experience with? The one price cleaner next to BofA or the one that advertises environmentally friendly?

Here is a pricelist I picked up from Parkway. It is at 1-2 years old, but will give you an idea of the prices.
LL
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post
When I lived there several years ago I always went to the dry cleaners right by the Woodley Park-Zoo Metro stop. It's a 15 minute walk from you (right on the walk home if you take the Metro). I brought them all my work suits & shirts and never had a problem. Several times I needed to drop off that morning & pick up THAT evening (nothing like waiting until the last minute) -- and they always did it. My info is a little dated, but they were a long-time establishment that did the work on the premises, so they should still be there. Sorry, I cannot recall the name (but it was NOT Debonair). By the way -- I used to live at 1951 Biltmore. Man I miss that neighborhood.

Sounds good, but it's not that close. A nice ten minute walk. And I use the Dupont Circle Metro (42 bus right outside my door takes me straight there).

About the neighborhood: I'm new here, so do you mind recommending some cool things to do? Good bars? Any places with live music? Best coffee shops?

Thanks!
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbers View Post
Which one - on Columbia Road I presume - did you have a bad experience with? The one price cleaner next to BofA or the one that advertises environmentally friendly?

Here is a pricelist I picked up from Parkway. It is at 1-2 years old, but will give you an idea of the prices.

Those prices are WAY too high for me. I'm a student.... I think it's the one to the right of BofA... (There's one on the other side that's pretty decent but not perfect...)

Do you live here?
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialism View Post
Do you live here?

Yeah I live nearby. I usually take my basic stuff to the one to the left of BofA and my better stuff to Parkway.
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialism View Post
Hey everyone. I just moved into to the corner of Biltmore and Columbia Streets in Adams Morgan/Dupont. There are a couple of cleaners on the block, but I don't know which is good. (I already know one is shit.) I want the best cleaners around, people. Any recommendations for cleaners who can handle awesome, delicate, expensive clothing?

Let me know! Thanks!
I live across the street from you. I very rarely dry clean (suits when I spill something on them and at the end of the season), and I use the "organic" cleaner that is closest to you. No problems, but I can't guarantee their work on delicate clothing, however. I'm pretty sure that the cleaner next to Grill from Ipanema shrank something of mine many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorialism View Post
About the neighborhood: I'm new here, so do you mind recommending some cool things to do? Good bars? Any places with live music? Best coffee shops?
Adams Morgan is much nicer during the week, when it has a neighborhoody feel and is not invaded by the bridge-and-tunnel crowd. Madam's Organ is great for live music. I've heard good things about Bossa next door. Tryst is one of the best coffee shops in DC. As far as bars go, I like Bedrock Billiards, The Reef, and Bourbon, all of which cater to a slightly older crowd (late 20s-30s).
post #10 of 18
Thread Starter 
DO you mean Custom Cleaners, accross the street from Debonair and the Metro?
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE88 View Post
When I lived there several years ago I always went to the dry cleaners right by the Woodley Park-Zoo Metro stop. It's a 15 minute walk from you (right on the walk home if you take the Metro). I brought them all my work suits & shirts and never had a problem. Several times I needed to drop off that morning & pick up THAT evening (nothing like waiting until the last minute) -- and they always did it. My info is a little dated, but they were a long-time establishment that did the work on the premises, so they should still be there. Sorry, I cannot recall the name (but it was NOT Debonair). By the way -- I used to live at 1951 Biltmore. Man I miss that neighborhood.

DO you mean Custom Cleaners, accross the street from Debonair and the Metro?
post #12 of 18
Ha, I used to live in the Melwood above the Blockbuster.

I've used all three dry cleaners near that corner. Cant remember any names, but maybe this helps:

I've had positive experiences with the two that are located on the same side of the street as Fleet Feet. I favor the one that comes second, if you are walking down Columbia, coming from Biltmore.

The one across the street from those two is crappy. I would take shirts there (they get the stains out) but nothing else. I took a pair of APCs there for hemming (like an idiot) and they massacred them. They generally bad at following requests.
post #13 of 18
Hell, anygood drycleaners in North Potomac/ Rockville,
post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 
Been a while, but I can't just take and not give back. You shared great recommendations. In the end, I'm sticking (for the time being, at least) with M&A on Calvert. (Atop the shoe repair and at the bus turnaround with the presidential mural.) I like the work they do and it's a stone's throw from my apartment. Have any of you used it? What are your opinions of the place?
post #15 of 18
Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know of a good dry-cleaners around the Hill?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Dry-cleaners in Adams Morgan