or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › official 2010 world cup thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

official 2010 world cup thread - Page 109

post #1621 of 4057
I think things other than WC don't catch on in the US is lack of star power and storylines. I think it's too much to ask for US sports fans to get really into club leagues in england, italy, spain and germany. I mean, people over there don't follow US sports that much. Even in spain where they have a lot of NBA players, they generally don't know much more than the players from spain and then a few of the top stars just like most US sports fans at least know ronaldo, ronaldinho, messi, and rooney are good. I think the only way it could gain steam is if it starts to get more ESPN and sportscenter coverage other than just crazy highlights for top 10. Maybe have a once a week world soccer segment or something. Highlight the US players playing overseas, and if the MLS can become a respectable league and get national recognition and international players (not an over the hill beckham who never plays) then maybe. If the champions league concept was expanded to include MLS and top central/south american team then that would help too. USA is just too much on the outside of the soccer world for fans to really care
post #1622 of 4057
unfuckingbelievable. i had a meeting in my office at 12 today...i had to kick them out because i couldn't concentrate on anything but the last 8 mins of the game. i think the country stood still for a few minutes today. for perhaps the first time ever on account of soccer whew
post #1623 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
I think things other than WC don't catch on in the US is lack of star power and storylines. I think it's too much to ask for US sports fans to get really into club leagues in england, italy, spain and germany. I mean, people over there don't follow US sports that much. Even in spain where they have a lot of NBA players, they generally don't know much more than the players from spain and then a few of the top stars just like most US sports fans at least know ronaldo, ronaldinho, messi, and rooney are good.

I think the only way it could gain steam is if it starts to get more ESPN and sportscenter coverage other than just crazy highlights for top 10. Maybe have a once a week world soccer segment or something. Highlight the US players playing overseas, and if the MLS can become a respectable league and get national recognition and international players (not an over the hill beckham who never plays) then maybe. If the champions league concept was expanded to include MLS and top central/south american team then that would help too. USA is just too much on the outside of the soccer world for fans to really care

Completely agree.
post #1624 of 4057
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
I think things other than WC don't catch on in the US is lack of star power and storylines. I think it's too much to ask for US sports fans to get really into club leagues in england, italy, spain and germany. I mean, people over there don't follow US sports that much. Even in spain where they have a lot of NBA players, they generally don't know much more than the players from spain and then a few of the top stars just like most US sports fans at least know ronaldo, ronaldinho, messi, and rooney are good.

I think the only way it could gain steam is if it starts to get more ESPN and sportscenter coverage other than just crazy highlights for top 10. Maybe have a once a week world soccer segment or something. Highlight the US players playing overseas, and if the MLS can become a respectable league and get national recognition and international players (not an over the hill beckham who never plays) then maybe. If the champions league concept was expanded to include MLS and top central/south american team then that would help too. USA is just too much on the outside of the soccer world for fans to really care

whatever man. if you're not into it, you don't have to post in this thread. we've had a billion "why americans don't like soccer" threads already.
post #1625 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak View Post
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck dempsey, i hope i never see him start again. he is beyond bad
Donovan needs to see more of the ball, Bradley is an amazing player; very smart and confident

Are you serious! Dempsey beyond bad. Are you on drugs?
post #1626 of 4057
Gooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #1627 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta View Post
whatever man. if you're not into it, you don't have to post in this thread. we've had a billion "why americans don't like soccer" threads already.
The fuck are you talking about? If you're done being an illiterate dick, maybe you should read the post. Never once did i say i didn't like soccer. The thought was posed because of how much attention the US is getting and how social networking sites make it seem that people all over are super into the WC and people are wondering why soccer can't catch on here. The discussion actually has legs now unlike soccer snobs blaming it on short attention spans or lack of scoring like in the past. People have been really into the WC this year a bit more than last time (non-US games that is). I have always enjoyed club soccer, euro cup, world cup, and champions league. MLS, not as much but more power to people who follow it. Club soccer is still a star driven or region loyalty driven thing though. Hard for US sports fans to get into it when they only hear about 4-5 players via sports news and have no ties to the region. Just like i don't blame someone from england not being a huge nba fans other than wanting to know who won (but not watch) the nba finals
post #1628 of 4057
Dempsey is our best striker but he was a mess today. Worse, he had a look of confusion and despair in the waning minutes. EDIT before i get jumped on i know he is not technically a striker but he's our most reliable goal scorer, in very general terms.
post #1629 of 4057
Congrats to the US. I think they have been excellent with the 2nd half against Slovenia being the most entertaining of the tournament.
By winning the group I would say the Semi Final is a distinct possibility.
I know the likes of Dempsey (who I personally rate as the US' best player), Donovan, Gooch, Altidore etc... but some of the guys I have never seen before have really impressed me particularly Bradley.
I just wish we has got another goal to top the group but after how bad we were against Algeria just getting through is a blessing.
post #1630 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Calavera View Post
Sincerely hope the Parade of Mediocrity that is "the best US national team ever" ends today. The ESPN coverage has this strange Fox News(ish) selective reality-thing going on and if I don't have to hear Lawlas or the Hispanic-American dudebro whinge or hype Random American Player X as "one of the best in the world" again, for the remainder of the WC, I'll be very satisfied.

1) "Parade of Mediocrity": Without corrupt/blind refs, the U.S. results would have been: 0-0 Draw vs. England; 3-2 W against Slovenia; 2-0 W against Algeria. They're far from mediocre -- they've scored 6 legitimate goals, which is more than any team except Argentina and Portugal. They completely dominated Algeria today, in everything but the final score. It easily could've been 4-0 if they finished better.

2) Your "Hispanic-American dudebro": You're referring to Roberto Martinez. He's Spanish, not American -- little bit of a difference there. Also, he's manager of Wigan Athletic. I don't really care for the guy, but he knows what he's talking about.

3) ESPN's biased coverage: All of the non-American broadcasters have been in complete 100% agreement that the Slovenia mystery-call was total bullshit, and probably likewise, that today's disallowed goal should have counted. How you think Martin Tyler, Ruud Gullit, Jurgen Klinsmann, or Martinez are "pro-America" in Fox-News fashion is beyond me.

4) "Hyping Random American Player X as 'one of the best in the world'": Perhaps you're exaggerating on this one. I haven't heard anyone say we've got one of the best players in the world. I've only heard several say that Tim Howard is widely recognized as one of the 3 or 4 best goalies in the Premiership. This also happens to be true.

In short, you know nothing about soccer. Quit hating and GTFO.
post #1631 of 4057
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
The fuck are you talking about? If you're done being an illiterate dick, maybe you should read the post. Never once did i say i didn't like soccer. The thought was posed because of how much attention the US is getting and how social networking sites make it seem that people all over are super into the WC and people are wondering why soccer can't catch on here. The discussion actually has legs now unlike soccer snobs blaming it on short attention spans or lack of scoring like in the past. People have been really into the WC this year a bit more than last time (non-US games that is). I have always enjoyed club soccer, euro cup, world cup, and champions league. MLS, not as much but more power to people who follow it. Club soccer is still a star driven or region loyalty driven thing though. Hard for US sports fans to get into it when they only hear about 4-5 players via sports news and have no ties to the region. Just like i don't blame someone from england not being a huge nba fans other than wanting to know who won (but not watch) the nba finals

my bad. i thought you were going to start one of those 'soccer sucks' rants. futbol will grow here when american teams, with american players, are good enough to win the club world cup on a regular basis. that will change everything, and eventually the champions league will be global. that could take another 50 or 500 years though.
post #1632 of 4057
post #1633 of 4057
Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa! Usa!
post #1634 of 4057
Congratulations, USA ! =)
post #1635 of 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › official 2010 world cup thread