• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the day off today and admittedly watched a lot of TV. It seems that as of this week, Canada-wide in particular, the anticipation has legitimately changed to excitement.

I have pretty high hopes for the opening ceremonies. Being indoors really limits the overall "feel" in my opinion, but I think the jaw-dropping Chinese display a few years ago has sort of set a precedent that the Vancouver organizers can't ignore. But will it be Gretzky to light the flame? I'll definitely be watching to find out.

Many of the high-schools and universities (particularly out west) have the week of the 14th-21st (if not more) off of school. I sort of hope that a lot of the kids, like me, spend their break watching a lot of the events on TV.

I sort of feel like a kid I'm so excited. Am I the only one?

Vancouverites, how has the transportation situation been over these last few days?

Oh, and the other 2010 Olympics thread went to crap in a hurry. Let's try to let this one live for the next few weeks.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be noted, that the time off school is not a result of the Olympics, but regular "spring break"/readiong week.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some BC schools are on break for the games; AB and SK schools are off for the aforementioned week as per usual in February.

Anyway...

Which countries are going to be 1,2 in the medal race?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the games.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am ready to party! Hitting up the Holland Heineken House this weekend!

svelten

Reaction score
Ozone was nuts last night as the torch passed. 40k people all crowding and rushing to transit right after. Didn't care at all but it has been contagious and now I am stoked to go to everything. Even took a week off work
laugh.gif
Ironic thing is I only have a peripheral interest in any of the sports, but much more excitement for the nightlife events and exhibitions. Couldn't care less for the medal count as long as we rightfully take Olympic gold in hockey.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be sure to drink a Fosters or whatever Canuck brew you guys send down here.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I'll be sure to drink a Fosters or whatever Canuck brew you guys send down here.

I don't really think skiing, snowboarding, etc. is a Texan type of event. Shouldn't you be watching a rodeo or perhaps cars driving around in circles instead?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
^^Am I missing the joke? A Fosters?

laugh.gif
yep. It wouldn't have been nearly as funny though, if I'd named a Belgian beer, like Molson, or Labatt.

Originally Posted by BDC2823
I don't really think skiing, snowboarding, etc. is a Texan type of event. Shouldn't you be watching a rodeo or perhaps cars driving around in circles instead?

Oh HELL no I don't snoreboard but I'll watch it if I can drink beer.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently SI picked Canada to finish second in medal count? Is this actually true or was I ill informed?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Apparently SI picked Canada to finish second in medal count? Is this actually true or was I ill informed?

I have no idea but I'm sure you guys will fare better than the Ethiopian team.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Oh HELL no I don't snoreboard but I'll watch it if I can drink beer.

Any reason to drink beer is a good reason. You may also need to ask Ms. Thomas if you snoreboard or not.

BTW, don't discount the Ethiopian teams just yet. If the Jamaican bobsled team can do it, you just never know.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Now they just need some snow.

True, but they've already planned for that. When Vancouver was awarded the bid for this year's Olympics, it was expected that they would not have any snow on the ground.

Vancouver is one of, if not the, warmest city in Canada.

All this hype about global warming and the weather in Vancouver is overblown. Most events are indoors, and many outdoor events requiring snow are going to be up at Whistler, where they are having record snowfall levels going on. Only a few events in the bowl are affected by a lack of snow right now, and that's where they're already dumping the pre-planned contingency snow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads