or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What kind of crap do you wear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What kind of crap do you wear? - Page 3

post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i dont think so. the non iron shirts i have are from very obscure brand names. from ross, jcpenny , macys, etc.
the combination of the material is always part polyester and part cotton, that is how the clothing is wrinkle free.

that is not a quality material used for mtm i believe.

Oh ok, I thought that Land's End would offer that fabric under a different descriptor for their mtm. Oh well.
post #32 of 81
Since I'm generally casually dressed, I skimp on trousers. I generally buy casual pants and shorts from J.Crew, and I sometimes buy Gap shorts. I just don't think shorts are that important. I do get some from the RL outlet, though.
post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
Do they offer that non-iron material for their MTM program? That's would be good.

skalogre, as you probably know, wearing non-iron shirts makes me akin to a devil-worshipper to many on the fora.

Brooks has the only decent selection of non-iron fabric that I've seen in a MTM program. Lands' End has only white, blue and ecru in cotton/poly blends, and Individualized Shirts has white, several shades of blue, and one blue/taupe stripe. Nordstroms will not use their SmartCare for a MTM shirt.
post #34 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman
skalogre, as you probably know, wearing non-iron shirts makes me akin to a devil-worshipper to many on the fora.

Brooks has the only decent selection of non-iron fabric that I've seen in a MTM program. Lands' End has only white, blue and ecru in cotton/poly blends, and Individualized Shirts has white, several shades of blue, and one blue/taupe stripe. Nordstroms will not use their SmartCare for a MTM shirt.

Oh, I just sent back a cotton/poly LE shirt from their MTM - decided to try getting it even slimmer. Material did not feel too bad. Not luxurious of course but even so.
post #35 of 81
Geoffrey Beene cashmere v-neck, which, while not the softest, has proven remarkably resistant to pilling.

Banana Republic cashmere crewneck sweater vest.

Moth-eaten Cullen cashmere crewneck, which I sleep in on cold nights.

Boss sportshirt, which has a nice fit and a pleasing blue/beige gingham pattern.

Cashmere scarves from China.

A couple pairs of fugly Rockports.

All my socks.

Various ties with meaningless Italian names, found via thrifting and the like.

Belts from Armani, Structure, and unknown cheapo brands.

Random cufflinks inherited from my Dad. Knowing how little he spent on clothing, I'm pretty certain there's nothing too precious there.

A Zeitner watch.

Haha, believe it or not, as I started this post I was thinking that I didn't have much "crap" at all.
post #36 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gza
Geoffrey Beene cashmere v-neck, which, while not the softest, has proven remarkably resistant to pilling.

Banana Republic cashmere crewneck sweater vest.

Moth-eaten Cullen cashmere crewneck, which I sleep in on cold nights.

Boss sportshirt, which has a nice fit and a pleasing blue/beige gingham pattern.

Cashmere scarves from China.

A couple pairs of fugly Rockports.

All my socks.

Various ties with meaningless Italian names, found via thrifting and the like.

Belts from Armani, Structure, and unknown cheapo brands.

Random cufflinks inherited from my Dad. Knowing how little he spent on clothing, I'm pretty certain there's nothing too precious there.

A Zeitner watch.

Haha, believe it or not, as I started this post I was thinking that I didn't have much "crap" at all.

Don't fret about it. I have so much crap that I wear that I cannot even think of it all!
post #37 of 81
I like how a lot of these shameful crap brands are really considered fairly nice in the wider society... Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, etc. I've been wearing the same Hanes undershirts from Kohl's for the past four years or so, they're discolored and disintegrating. Now that's shameful. Ditto on my socks.
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I like how a lot of these shameful crap brands are really considered fairly nice in the wider society... Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, etc. I've been wearing the same Hanes undershirts from Kohl's for the past four years or so, they're discolored and disintegrating. Now that's shameful. Ditto on my socks.

I agree! They do sound good until you start seeing things of ACTUAL quality.
post #39 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I like how a lot of these shameful crap brands are really considered fairly nice in the wider society... Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, etc. I've been wearing the same Hanes undershirts from Kohl's for the past four years or so, they're discolored and disintegrating. Now that's shameful. Ditto on my socks.

I think the point of this thread was to show that even though we like to talk about all the high-end stuff that we have, most of us don't go out every single day wearing Kiton and Edward Greens. A lot of us wear Gap or Banana Republic or whatever, it's just that every now and then, or on particular items of clothing we like to stand apart from the pack.

Also, a lot of time people make a false connection between price and quality. There are plenty of expensive items out there in the malls that re very low quality, and there are deals to be found on high quality items so that they can be had at a lower price. That's the beauty of this forum.
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
I think the point of this thread was to show that even though we like to talk about all the high-end stuff that we have, most of us don't go out every single day wearing Kiton and Edward Greens. A lot of us wear Gap or Banana Republic or whatever, it's just that every now and then, or on particular items of clothing we like to stand apart from the pack.

Also, a lot of time people make a false connection between price and quality. There are plenty of expensive items out there in the malls that re very low quality, and there are deals to be found on high quality items so that they can be had at a lower price. That's the beauty of this forum.

aye
post #41 of 81
Polo shirts from Polo and Banana Republic, dress pants from Banana and reef flip flops (which see a ton of wear in the summer). I also just got a "flashy" suit, a Paul Smith London one, for $129.50, which I see getting a lot of wear in the very near future.
post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
Oh ok, I thought that Land's End would offer that fabric under a different descriptor for their mtm. Oh well.

you should ask them. i dont know anything about lands end.
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
My wee contribution to the sartorial confessional: a Nautica dress shirt. The overall fit leaves something to be desired, the fabric is just a few notches above dreadful, but the check is really wonderful, so it has a semi-permanent place in my rotation.

Right now I'm wearing Nautica 100 percent linen trousers, and actually I love them. The linen is quite nice, the construction is pretty good, and the cut is fabulous for my meaty buttocks and generous thighs. Along with them, by the way, I'm wearing a pale pink Calvin Klein polo in a gorgeous royal oxford cloth. I got each at TJMaxx, the trousers for $40, the shirt for $19.
post #44 of 81
I should also add my Target Merona undershirts, to this list of "crap" items.

Just a couple weeks ago, I purchased some cotton stretch, crewneck tshirts, from the local Gap; this happened to be my first Gap purchase ever.
post #45 of 81
i still have a (gasp!) kenneth cole lace-up in thick (as in 1" high) rubber soles, and velcro straps bought 8yrs ago. also have a hugo boss sport pair of black nylon shoes with straps all around. i have to give them away.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What kind of crap do you wear?