Just have them resoled.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge: Most Exciting Shoes - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 4/12/11 at 11:08am in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion Last post on 3/25/12 at 12:38am in Streetwear and Denim
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 11/29/15 at 2:54pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?Last edited: 2/9/16
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II - Page 628post #9406 of 1348311/4/12 at 6:42am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9407 of 1348311/4/12 at 6:56amJohns & Pegg shooting jacket, bespoke 40 R/L
Good price on a William Evans tweed jacket
Lobb for Aston Martin trainers
Longmire dress set
Tanner Krolle glasses case
Chester Barrie suit in an interesting twist on PoW - 41R
NOS Grenfell trench
Good price on a Brioni cashmere coat
Lovey Finnigans case
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-VINTAGE-FINNIGANS-CHOCOLATE-BROWN-SUITCASE-DRESSING-CASE-/121012638236post #9408 of 1348311/4/12 at 7:59ampost #9409 of 1348311/4/12 at 10:29ampost #9410 of 1348311/4/12 at 11:28ampost #9411 of 1348311/4/12 at 11:36ampost #9412 of 1348311/4/12 at 11:59ampost #9413 of 1348311/4/12 at 12:03pmpost #9414 of 1348311/4/12 at 12:27pmpost #9415 of 1348311/4/12 at 12:40pmpost #9416 of 1348311/4/12 at 12:44pmQuote:
Leather heels with rubber corners were unknown until the late 50s. Until then it was either all rubber heels (for cheap shoes) or all leather heels (for luxury shoes and bespoke). Unfortunately the corner of an all-leather heel wears down in next to no time, hence the need to protect the heel with strategically placed nails (a row all around the heel and a second row in the outside corner was a quite frequently used configuration).
The seller states the shoes were made in the early 90s (and the presence of three Royal Warrants confirms that they cannot have been produced before the 70s). At this time the heavily nailed heel would have been replaced by the “1/4 rubber” heel. don’t know why Lobb reverted with these shoes to a more ancient method of heel construction. Maybe the customer asked for it.
I agree, the placing of the nails wasn't to the highest standards in this particular case.
As an aside, Edward Green produced the early RLPL shoes (late 90s) with all leather heels and 110 or so nails (presumably at RL’s request), but they didn't come like that for very long. For all I know, punters might have fallen on their backside and complained, so the specification was changed.post #9417 of 1348311/4/12 at 1:17pmpost #9418 of 1348311/4/12 at 1:40pmpost #9419 of 1348311/4/12 at 1:45pmpost #9420 of 1348311/4/12 at 2:38pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mr_Incognito
Nice Sulka Tie
I kopped it! Thanks for the heads up!
- Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
Currently, there are 1512 Active Users (324 Members and 1188 Guests)
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 46 seconds ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 1 minute ago
- › Pure Blue Japan 31 (pics inside) 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 6 minutes ago
- › Friday Challenge for February 12th; Checks! 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?