It would be much appreciated if someone could answer my question about shoe leather texture (post 5221, above). It may be a really stupid question, but I'd still like to know the answer!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge: Most Exciting Shoes - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 4/12/11 at 11:08am in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion Last post on 3/25/12 at 12:38am in Streetwear and Denim
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 11/29/15 at 2:54pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?Last edited: 2/4/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II - Page 350post #5236 of 1347710/29/11 at 6:19pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5237 of 1347710/29/11 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
I have a question for the shoe experts here. I've been looking for a pair of vintage but good condition classic black wingtips or Oxfords and came across these 'new old stock' items recently. I was left wondering about the leather. The knobbly texture reminds me of the boots I had when I was a military cadet, which we were forced to use a hot spoon to press out. My question is - what is this texture and is it a good or a bad sign?
Can you add brand name and sole photos?post #5238 of 1347710/29/11 at 7:07pmpost #5239 of 1347710/29/11 at 7:12pmQuote:
It's called pebble grain (or scotch grain), an effect made by embossing the texture onto the leather. It doesn't really tell you about the quality of the leather since it can be applied to any type.post #5240 of 1347710/29/11 at 7:13pmpost #5241 of 1347710/29/11 at 9:35pmpost #5242 of 1347710/29/11 at 10:16pmpost #5243 of 1347710/30/11 at 12:52am
They were made more than 40 years ago by a now-defunct US shoe manufacturer, and a forgotten designer, for an also long-gone US department store. I am not going to reveal names because I would rather not publicise the sale location to the world and thereby have some sniper come in and grab them if they do turn out to be worth getting! Here's the soles anyway...post #5244 of 1347710/30/11 at 12:54ampost #5245 of 1347710/30/11 at 3:02amQuote:Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Saphir creams, a gazillion different colors, $5.92 per jar, worldwide shipping. DONT WAIT!
I went to pick my order up on Friday. Unsurprisingly the seller says it's going out the door as fast as he can get it from Saphir in France. I just wanted to let members know he's got more Saphir items in the store - I picked up a big jar (250ml) of neutral Renovateur for £11.95 / ~$20, and I've asked for some Reptile cream in the next order.post #5246 of 1347710/30/11 at 3:08ampost #5247 of 1347710/30/11 at 4:08amQuote:Originally Posted by SimonC
I went to pick my order up on Friday. Unsurprisingly the seller says it's going out the door as fast as he can get it from Saphir in France. I just wanted to let members know he's got more Saphir items in the store - I picked up a big jar (250ml) of neutral Renovateur for £11.95 / ~$20, and I've asked for some Reptile cream in the next order.
Oooh. Reptile cream - keep me posted on that.
I got one of my two orders yesterday, could not be happier. That stuff smells so goodpost #5248 of 1347710/30/11 at 4:38ampost #5249 of 1347710/30/11 at 11:21am
- Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › things that are making you happy 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 3 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 3 minutes ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) -... 5 minutes ago
- › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion 6 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 8 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...