It would be much appreciated if someone could answer my question about shoe leather texture (post 5221, above). It may be a really stupid question, but I'd still like to know the answer!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- How does this grey suit brown shoe combo look? Last post on 4/22/12 at 10:47pm in Classic Menswear
- Friday WAYWRN Challenge: Most Exciting Shoes - Who did it best? VOTE!!! Last post on 4/12/11 at 11:08am in Classic Menswear
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion Last post on 3/25/12 at 12:38am in Streetwear and Denim
- Recent non-Sartorialist Looks Last post on 6/28/15 at 4:25pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
Last edited: 5/7/15
- 6 Hats for Spring and SummerLast edited: 5/10/15
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II - Page 350post #5236 of 1325010/29/11 at 6:19pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #5237 of 1325010/29/11 at 6:59pmQuote:Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey
I have a question for the shoe experts here. I've been looking for a pair of vintage but good condition classic black wingtips or Oxfords and came across these 'new old stock' items recently. I was left wondering about the leather. The knobbly texture reminds me of the boots I had when I was a military cadet, which we were forced to use a hot spoon to press out. My question is - what is this texture and is it a good or a bad sign?
Can you add brand name and sole photos?post #5238 of 1325010/29/11 at 7:07pmpost #5239 of 1325010/29/11 at 7:12pmQuote:
It's called pebble grain (or scotch grain), an effect made by embossing the texture onto the leather. It doesn't really tell you about the quality of the leather since it can be applied to any type.post #5240 of 1325010/29/11 at 7:13pmpost #5241 of 1325010/29/11 at 9:35pmpost #5242 of 1325010/29/11 at 10:16pmpost #5243 of 1325010/30/11 at 12:52am
They were made more than 40 years ago by a now-defunct US shoe manufacturer, and a forgotten designer, for an also long-gone US department store. I am not going to reveal names because I would rather not publicise the sale location to the world and thereby have some sniper come in and grab them if they do turn out to be worth getting! Here's the soles anyway...post #5244 of 1325010/30/11 at 12:54ampost #5245 of 1325010/30/11 at 3:02amQuote:Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Saphir creams, a gazillion different colors, $5.92 per jar, worldwide shipping. DONT WAIT!
I went to pick my order up on Friday. Unsurprisingly the seller says it's going out the door as fast as he can get it from Saphir in France. I just wanted to let members know he's got more Saphir items in the store - I picked up a big jar (250ml) of neutral Renovateur for £11.95 / ~$20, and I've asked for some Reptile cream in the next order.post #5246 of 1325010/30/11 at 3:08ampost #5247 of 1325010/30/11 at 4:08amQuote:Originally Posted by SimonC
I went to pick my order up on Friday. Unsurprisingly the seller says it's going out the door as fast as he can get it from Saphir in France. I just wanted to let members know he's got more Saphir items in the store - I picked up a big jar (250ml) of neutral Renovateur for £11.95 / ~$20, and I've asked for some Reptile cream in the next order.
Oooh. Reptile cream - keep me posted on that.
I got one of my two orders yesterday, could not be happier. That stuff smells so goodpost #5248 of 1325010/30/11 at 4:38ampost #5249 of 1325010/30/11 at 11:21am
- Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Rome / Naples Advice 12 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Vanson x Epaulet 'Rocket' Cowhide Leather Moto Cafe Racer Black 38R... 3 minutes ago
- › Your SW&D Essentials? (CM's Free For All Help Thread) 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...