or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II - Page 730

post #10936 of 13729

Vass boots, goyser welted currently at $300.

post #10937 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Maybe I've been lucky because, on the couple of occasions I've visited, the staff have been very nice and helpful.

I did go one other time when it was crowded and I loitered around without being served, but the other two times the staff were very gracious and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Ginza branch?

Yes, the Ginza branch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Could be they hate Queenslanders?

I'm from Brisbane and they didn't seem to mind me, so probably not!

I'll (hopefully) be back in Tokyo/Japan for 3-4 weeks in June-July this year, so I might go back and see how I get treated this time!
post #10938 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

I would be surprised if they use hand welting, the website is hard to decipher, but if it is hand welting then it is even better value.

D C Lewis affiliate thread

Jalan shoes are hand lasted, hand welted, but the soles are machine stitched. They call it 'Handwelted Goodyear' construction. Strange name

They are made by Fortuna shoes in Indonesia as mentioned above, and I believe the brand was originally a joint venture with GMT (possibly GMT supplying design). Fortuna also OEMs for Italian brands.

They are sold in Japan and now Korea, and I dont think they are available in hometown Indonesia.

There is a big article on Jalan Sriwijaya shoes on the Spring 2012 LAST magazine.
Edited by nutcracker - 3/31/13 at 2:26am
post #10939 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

The Tradingpost in Ginza is staffed by assholes, and considering they are within walking distance of Washington and a couple of other high end shoe stores I don't know how they do any business.

I have no idea about the quality of their own brand of shoes, I won't go into the joint again.

Never bought from them, but I have chatted with their staffs for a few occasions.
Yes, kinda sad but definitely not surprised how foreigners or perceived foreigners are treated with sub-par service in Japanese shoe stores. Maybe cuz they don't speak English?
Trading Post is known to have one of the highest customer retention rate (50%) in the industry btw biggrin.gif

Their own branded shoes are made by Central Shoes. Soffice & Solid branded shoes are made by Union Imperial.

If you're looking for Carmina, Allen Edmonds, Saint Crispins, Riccardo Bestetti in Japan, Trading Post is the best bet.
post #10940 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Never bought from them, but I have chatted with their staffs for a few occasions.
Yes, kinda sad but definitely not surprised how foreigners or perceived foreigners are treated with sub-par service in Japanese shoe stores. Maybe cuz they don't speak English?
Trading Post is known to have one of the highest customer retention rate (50%) in the industry btw biggrin.gif

Their own branded shoes are made by Central Shoes. Soffice & Solid branded shoes are made by Union Imperial.

If you're looking for Carmina, Allen Edmonds, Saint Crispins, Riccardo Bestetti in Japan, Trading Post is the best bet.

I rarely get bad service in Japan. Have you been to Washington in Ginza? Now that is a shoe store, and the service is typical old world Japanese service.

Also Lloyd is excellent.
post #10941 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Jalan shoes are hand lasted, hand welted, but the soles are machine stitched. They call it 'Handwelted Goodyear' construction. Strange name

They are made by Fortuna shoes in Indonesia as mentioned above, and I believe the brand was originally a joint venture with GMT (possibly GMT supplying design). Fortuna also OEMs for Italian brands.

They are sold in Japan and now Korea, and I dont think they are available in hometown Indonesia.

There is a big article on Jalan Sriwijaya shoes on the Spring 2012 LAST magazine.

Yes sounds strange, do they use gemming?
post #10942 of 13729
post #10943 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

I rarely get bad service in Japan. Have you been to Washington in Ginza? Now that is a shoe store, and the service is typical old world Japanese service.

Also Lloyd is excellent.

Yes, Washington has been selling shoes for 80 years, good to hear that they manage to upkeep their old school service. I know they have Chinese sales staffs to accommodate shoppers from China smile.gif

100% agree about Lloyd. They're shoes are made in England, but they (the company / brand) is based in Japan. So somehow, they can keep the price quite reasonable. I assume they import the shoes as 'materials?' and package them in Japan?
post #10944 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang66 View Post

Yes sounds strange, do they use gemming?

No gemming (glued ribs), they are handsewn welted

I suppose 'Goodyear Welted' is still perceived as a sign of good quality shoes
post #10945 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Yes, Washington has been selling shoes for 80 years, good to hear that they manage to upkeep their old school service. I know they have Chinese sales staffs to accommodate shoppers from China smile.gif

100% agree about Lloyd. They're shoes are made in England, but they (the company / brand) is based in Japan. So somehow, they can keep the price quite reasonable. I assume they import the shoes as 'materials?' and package them in Japan?


I may well be wrong, but I thought that Lloyd was a German company.

They are a popular shoe in upmarket department stores in Australia. Unfortunately, however, Lloyd make a few different lines and it's the cheaply-made, poor quality line that is sold in Australia, albeit at the sort of prices that would get you C&J benchgrade in most other parts of the world - cemented soles made of rubber with a leather piece stuck to the bottom, fabric lining that wears through quickly and so on.
post #10946 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

I may well be wrong, but I thought that Lloyd was a German company.

They are a popular shoe in upmarket department stores in Australia. Unfortunately, however, Lloyd make a few different lines and it's the cheaply-made, poor quality line that is sold in Australia, albeit at the sort of prices that would get you C&J benchgrade in most other parts of the world - cemented soles made of rubber with a leather piece stuck to the bottom, fabric lining that wears through quickly and so on.

confusing but they are completely different company. Lloyd Footwear (in Japan) sells English shoes. Some say that the Japanese owner was a fan of Lloyd Jennings shoes, and named the store after him.
post #10947 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post


Never bought from them, but I have chatted with their staffs for a few occasions.
Yes, kinda sad but definitely not surprised how foreigners or perceived foreigners are treated with sub-par service in Japanese shoe stores. Maybe cuz they don't speak English?
Trading Post is known to have one of the highest customer retention rate (50%) in the industry btw biggrin.gif

Their own branded shoes are made by Central Shoes. Soffice & Solid branded shoes are made by Union Imperial.

If you're looking for Carmina, Allen Edmonds, Saint Crispins, Riccardo Bestetti in Japan, Trading Post is the best bet.

I find that Japanese stores will be reluctant to talk to me at first because they perceive that I do not speak Japanese (from being a foreigner. In Norway that would be like speaking to any black person in English. I would be deemed a racist instantly). When I speak to them in Japanese they are more helpful than I could possibly expect. I personally think it´s just a matter of language. Now, when it comes to Japanese perceiving foreigners unable to speak Japanese, I think that relates to simple stupidity, rather than intentional prejudice. I think many just don´t know any better. 

 

Brought my girlfriend and my mum to Trading Post in Tenjin yesterday. They were more than helpful to help us. My mum didn´t find any shoes that fit (only mens), and my girlfriend wasn´t tried on 10 different pairs of Carminas. We left after an hour without buying anything, but I´m sure they´ll treat me with the same respect they always do. The only other place in Fukuoka I´ve found good shoes so far is Iwataya, and they´re a lot less friendly there. (apart from the MTO/bespoke suit store maybe). If any of you know a good place in Fukuoka for shoes, I´d love to get some tips! Specially if they have my size!

post #10948 of 13729
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo and would like to hit some of these stores you gents are talking about; also the Meermin store there. But last time I was there, the shoe store I visited only had sizes up to about EU 42/US 9. Any idea whether these shops carry larger sizes, up to EU 44/45?
post #10949 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo and would like to hit some of these stores you gents are talking about; also the Meermin store there. But last time I was there, the shoe store I visited only had sizes up to about EU 42/US 9. Any idea whether these shops carry larger sizes, up to EU 44/45?

I´m a 44.5. Wear a 10.5 E in AE, 10.5 E UK in C&J, They don´t have my size at Trading Post in Fukuoka.  They have my size in Alden (10D) at big department stores. Not sure if that helps!


That being said,TP has up to 10 in AE, and should have the equivalent in other brands. They do tell me that they can order bigger sizes for me, and I´m guessing those would be from the stores in Osaka/Tokyo/Nagoya, so you might be in luck

post #10950 of 13729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo and would like to hit some of these stores you gents are talking about; also the Meermin store there. But last time I was there, the shoe store I visited only had sizes up to about EU 42/US 9. Any idea whether these shops carry larger sizes, up to EU 44/45?

Usually 43 is the largest you will find with some 44s, 45s are rare in nicer shoes. Isetan Men's in Shinjuku, and Washington in Ginza tend to have more 44s than the boutiques.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II