Hah well since you ask so nicely:
1. I needed them resoled anyway
2. Will get a pair of dressy derby-creepers for christmas
3. The "dressy" fits that I have previously worn with side-zips will instead be worn with derbys, while all SW&D fits are worn with B&N hi-tops
4. I don't think side-zips would really get much wear since they are something inbetween SW&D and "dressy" imo
5. So I figured I'd just take them further into SW&D-territory, so I'll now have three distinctly different pairs of shoes instead of "two and a half"
Maybe seems like a lot of thinking for just a pair of boots, but I think that's just what happens when you have a really limited budget
they did a bad job though - the sole is too small. you need a chunky 360 welt for wedge soles to look good.