that little curiosity rover is a lucky bastard
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAnn Demeulemeestertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandButterotagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandCarminatagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- brandEpaulettagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- brandEsemplaretagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemEsemplare jackettagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryGlovestagged by LA Guy, 12/28/14
- itemRick Owens - VEGETAL LIGHT LAMBSKIN LEATHER JACKETtagged by Jbravo, 10/17/13
- brandUndercovertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemUndercover Coattagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13More
- itemUndercover Jackettagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandVisvimtagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
Related Forum Threads
- eBay Roundup Week of January 11, 2015 Last post on 1/11/15 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- The Official Styleforum Vendors NYC Trunk Show Thread - Nov 16 and 17 - No Man Walks Alone, Kent... Last post on 10/22/14 at 3:41pm in Classic Menswear
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.2.2013 Last post on 10/3/13 at 4:08pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Carmina, Epaulet, and Styleforum Fall '12 Shortwing Boot Project Last post on 12/7/12 at 8:53am in Classic Menswear
- Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread Last post on Today at 11:29 am in Streetwear and Denim
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans & Trousers)Last edited: 12/11/12
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)Last edited: 12/11/12
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)Last edited: 12/11/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Recent purchases - Part II - Page 2227
Styleforum Top Pickspost #33392 of 498412/16/13 at 1:40pmpost #33393 of 498412/16/13 at 1:40pmpost #33394 of 498412/16/13 at 1:42pmpost #33395 of 498412/16/13 at 1:49pmMaybe quaint was a bad choice of words on my part. What I meant was that the same set of technologies that enables e-readers to exist is also the same set of technologies that we use to have this conversation. People have lodged similar criticisms towards internet communications.
There are some real advantages that physical books have that e-readers simply can't match but I don't think nostalgia is one of them. also I typed this with my voice
Maybe there should be an SWD reading topic?post #33396 of 498412/16/13 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by SuperBobo
books is definitly what I buy the most. Have a heap right on my living room table. Topics like reinforcement learning, cognitive evolution, decision theory, game theory, evolutionary game theory, behavioral economics... Still so much to learn!
Anyone got recommendations for good fantasy btw? Read the "game of thrones" series, which was enjoyable, anything else new worth reading?
Brandon Sanderson: dude makes some incredible magic systems.
Wheel of Time series (lot tamer than GoT though)
Tolkien if you haven't read them yet.
EDIT: Anathem by Neal Stephenson is pretty interesting, not sure I'd call it straight sci fi or alternate history or fantasy, it's kind of a mix of all 3.
EDIT2: Richard Morgan's got some grittier sci fi stuff too.
I'd definitely enjoy a reading thread.post #33397 of 498412/16/13 at 2:16pmpost #33398 of 498412/16/13 at 2:19pmpost #33399 of 498412/16/13 at 2:21pmpost #33400 of 498412/16/13 at 2:25pmpost #33401 of 498412/16/13 at 2:45pmpost #33402 of 498412/16/13 at 3:08pmNeal Stephenson is great! Have loved everything I have read by him.
Great recs so far. I would also like to add The Book of the New Sun quartet by Gene Wolfe. Amazing, amazing series, one of my most read sets of science-fantasy (it's my Lord of the Rings I guess) along with Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber and Lord of Light. Also, Jack Vance's set of stories "The Dying Earth". I think there was a Fantasy Masterworks release that collected all of them into one book so that is definitely the one to track down.
Surprised no one has mentioned Iain M. Banks so far wrt space opera. Use of Weapons, Player of Games, Consider Phlebas are all damn amazing sci-fi.
I would also throw in Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mieville.post #33403 of 498412/16/13 at 3:16pmpost #33404 of 498412/16/13 at 3:26pm
- Recent purchases - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 2 minutes ago
- › Our Legacy Bomber Jacket II. Black Shimmer. Medium. NWT. 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 4 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 5 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 5 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015