that little curiosity rover is a lucky bastard
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAnn Demeulemeestertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandButterotagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandCarminatagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- brandEpaulettagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- brandEsemplaretagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemEsemplare jackettagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryGlovestagged by LA Guy, 12/28/14
- itemRick Owens - VEGETAL LIGHT LAMBSKIN LEATHER JACKETtagged by Jbravo, 10/17/13
- brandUndercovertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemUndercover Coattagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13More
- itemUndercover Jackettagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandVisvimtagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
Related Forum Threads
- eBay Roundup Week of January 11, 2015 Last post on 1/11/15 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- The Official Styleforum Vendors NYC Trunk Show Thread - Nov 16 and 17 - No Man Walks Alone, Kent... Last post on 10/22/14 at 3:41pm in Classic Menswear
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.2.2013 Last post on 10/3/13 at 4:08pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Carmina, Epaulet, and Styleforum Fall '12 Shortwing Boot Project Last post on 12/7/12 at 8:53am in Classic Menswear
- Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread Last post on Today at 9:31 am in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans & Trousers)
Last edited: 12/11/12
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)Last edited: 12/11/12
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Footwear)Last edited: 12/11/12
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Outerwear)Last edited: 1/9/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.9.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Recent purchases - Part II - Page 2227
Styleforum Top Pickspost #33392 of 487492/16/13 at 1:40pmpost #33393 of 487492/16/13 at 1:40pmpost #33394 of 487492/16/13 at 1:42pmpost #33395 of 487492/16/13 at 1:49pmMaybe quaint was a bad choice of words on my part. What I meant was that the same set of technologies that enables e-readers to exist is also the same set of technologies that we use to have this conversation. People have lodged similar criticisms towards internet communications.
There are some real advantages that physical books have that e-readers simply can't match but I don't think nostalgia is one of them. also I typed this with my voice
Maybe there should be an SWD reading topic?post #33396 of 487492/16/13 at 2:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by SuperBobo
books is definitly what I buy the most. Have a heap right on my living room table. Topics like reinforcement learning, cognitive evolution, decision theory, game theory, evolutionary game theory, behavioral economics... Still so much to learn!
Anyone got recommendations for good fantasy btw? Read the "game of thrones" series, which was enjoyable, anything else new worth reading?
Brandon Sanderson: dude makes some incredible magic systems.
Wheel of Time series (lot tamer than GoT though)
Tolkien if you haven't read them yet.
EDIT: Anathem by Neal Stephenson is pretty interesting, not sure I'd call it straight sci fi or alternate history or fantasy, it's kind of a mix of all 3.
EDIT2: Richard Morgan's got some grittier sci fi stuff too.
I'd definitely enjoy a reading thread.post #33397 of 487492/16/13 at 2:16pmpost #33398 of 487492/16/13 at 2:19pmpost #33399 of 487492/16/13 at 2:21pmpost #33400 of 487492/16/13 at 2:25pmpost #33401 of 487492/16/13 at 2:45pmpost #33402 of 487492/16/13 at 3:08pmNeal Stephenson is great! Have loved everything I have read by him.
Great recs so far. I would also like to add The Book of the New Sun quartet by Gene Wolfe. Amazing, amazing series, one of my most read sets of science-fantasy (it's my Lord of the Rings I guess) along with Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber and Lord of Light. Also, Jack Vance's set of stories "The Dying Earth". I think there was a Fantasy Masterworks release that collected all of them into one book so that is definitely the one to track down.
Surprised no one has mentioned Iain M. Banks so far wrt space opera. Use of Weapons, Player of Games, Consider Phlebas are all damn amazing sci-fi.
I would also throw in Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Mieville.post #33403 of 487492/16/13 at 3:16pmpost #33404 of 487492/16/13 at 3:26pm
- Recent purchases - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 31 seconds ago
- › NFL 2014-15 Thread 48 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF... 2 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 2 minutes ago
- › Any One for a Scotch? 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan
- › Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the Blue
- › Clothing for Hard Work
- › Sakura Season
- › A Brief History of Indigo
- › The (Red) Thread Connecting Italy and Japan
- › Two Japanese Words Every Clothing Dork Should...