I think you're right, but wasn't completely sure so, and also the leather is a bit more shiny than the hm ones.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAnn Demeulemeestertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandButterotagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandCarminatagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- brandEpaulettagged by JenniferO, 8/6/14
- brandEsemplaretagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemEsemplare jackettagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- categoryGlovestagged by LA Guy, 12/28/14
- itemRick Owens - VEGETAL LIGHT LAMBSKIN LEATHER JACKETtagged by Jbravo, 10/17/13
- brandUndercovertagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- itemUndercover Coattagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13More
- itemUndercover Jackettagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
- brandVisvimtagged by LA Guy, 10/13/13
Related Forum Threads
- Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the Ronald McDonald House. Last post on 1/8/16 at 1:11pm in Classic Menswear
- Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov 7 2015 Last post on 5/3/16 at 5:22pm in Classic Menswear
- eBay Roundup Week of January 11, 2015 Last post on 1/11/15 at 8:29am in Classic Menswear
- The Official Styleforum Vendors NYC Trunk Show Thread - Nov 16 and 17 - No Man Walks Alone, Kent... Last post on 10/22/14 at 3:41pm in Classic Menswear
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.2.2013 Last post on 10/3/13 at 4:08pm in Streetwear and Denim
Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim Head
Last edited: 12/6/15
- Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want with Saphir cream polish?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans & Trousers)Last edited: 12/11/12
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Recent purchases - Part II - Page 2077post #31141 of 5216911/28/12 at 3:20pmpost #31142 of 5216911/28/12 at 3:59pmpost #31143 of 5216911/28/12 at 4:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by thewho13
Discussions about wit in design are one thing, but what does quality even mean? (0)
Are we talking about durability? (lack of) defects? ??? At what point does "quality" override the stylistic value of a garment? All of this grumbling about the quality of a high-end designer's products just rings hollow, to an extent.
1. The design element of "designer" goods is clearly what takes a lot of the value of a garment. That is to be expected. People pay for good architects in the same way they pay for good design.
2. The effort that is expended in the actual production element of the process is where "quality" is defined. That effort is made up of material costs and labour costs. Nice things are generally rarer and more expensive, and good manufacturing takes time and effort.
The only time I will grumble is when I see something that is exhorbitantly expensive, yet has incurred neither any significant design costs (i.e. it's unoriginal), nor does the material and labour cost justify the price. This is when it is being sold for exclusivity and brand cachet.
Fine if that floats your boat, but don't expect me to revere such items.
As per the ongoing regis-margiela affair, I side with jet on this one. I'm the first person to advocate a friendly and welcoming atmosphere here, but if we can't use the words "overpriced", "unoriginal", "underdesigned", "poor quality" or say anything critical at all about particular collections just because they happen to be to someone's taste, then how on earth can we hope to have valuable discussion?post #31144 of 5216911/28/12 at 4:32pmpost #31145 of 5216911/28/12 at 4:40pmWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by jet
^I found that amusing, was going to post the same thing as brad then laughed when I saw the strawman and brad agreeing.
Benes is drawing a conclusion based on limited information and zero first hand experience, basically juding a book by its cover. His tastes have not fully matured and as such is not qualitifed to make a valid judgment in our circle, for him yes that's fine but taste changes over time when someone is exposed to new concepts. I have been coppin margiela since 06, been to both boutiques, barneys and other shops that carry margiela, seen the expansiveness of the collections, tried on a hundred pieces etc so I feel I am qualified among others on this forum to make an informed decision which is vastly different than comparing lookbook photos online. Also I have to correct regis' reference to the new and different to just new (and not in design) as that is basically the only desirable characteristic it seems in his cops. Margiela was innovative and far ahead of its time, now it is a mere shadow of its history, innovation is gone and tackiness has ensued. Design is dead. There is nothing "different" about what the maison puts out today this is just wrong. It is just watered down and un-directional, confused at best. There is nothing wrong for buying something because you like the design but people will opine on the design and ultimately your taste, however subjective the latter may be. I think laceless sneakers look childish and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Be prepared for discussion and I must admit I rather enjoy these types of derailments.
I think this is fair. My two caveats are first that I only was referring to the runway looks and my impression of the styling (which I felt i was being pretty clear about). I think a lot of that is probably due to the ahistorical nature of me getting into fashion so I don't appreciate the ingenuity at the same level. Also yes not handling things probably makes the quality difference ok for me since I dont know what I missed out on.
And second, I never posed my opinion in an authoritative way and admitted my exposure was limited. I think its fair for me to post my impressions esp given the qualified way I do it. In fact I think a lot of good has come to me from getting feedback that I wouldn't have had from just lurking (seeing what other people do right or wrong is not the same as knowing what you didn't do right/could do better).post #31146 of 5216911/28/12 at 5:25pmpost #31147 of 5216911/28/12 at 5:52pmpost #31148 of 5216911/28/12 at 6:57pm
yeah if the petit standard had dh19cm top block that would be killer because the stacks on the 19cm aren't as good as the ps due to the lack of taper so it will stack outwards more and be fatter at the ankle.
apc i think tried to mix the two with the petit new standard but imo that was a failure.
but at the end of the day i guess if you size down 1 on a PS you would get a good result.post #31149 of 5216911/28/12 at 7:00pmpost #31150 of 5216911/28/12 at 7:16pmpost #31151 of 5216911/28/12 at 7:17pmpost #31152 of 5216911/28/12 at 8:05pmpost #31153 of 5216911/28/12 at 8:44pmpost #31154 of 5216911/28/12 at 9:42pmpost #31155 of 5216911/28/12 at 9:58pm
- Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want with Saphir cream polish?
Currently, there are 841 Active Users (134 Members and 707 Guests)
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 2 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 2 minutes ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 2 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 12 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 13 minutes ago
- › No Man Walks Alone MTO and Pre-Orders Thread (Central Thread for... 13 minutes ago
- › Guidi 991 tall lace-up boots in soft black horse leather - tag 44 -... 15 minutes ago
- › Maison Margiela 5 Zip Size 44 (44-46) 18 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding