or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Recent purchases - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recent purchases - Part II - Page 2075

post #31111 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronxs View Post

teger/apk, please help to shut benesyed up.

You don't have to read what I post. You can just block me! Not sure why you feel the need to be mean.

And Shah, its on my list - my mom LOVES it. I keep two lists, one is mass movies and one is more thoughtful cerebral films. My problem with the latter is that I can only watch them once. I get impatient because they usually are not very fast paced. I think other than the seventh seal, let the right one in (the original), and few others, I tend to watch "better movies", really enjoy and appreciate them, but dont really want to watch them again.
post #31112 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronxs View Post

teger/apk, please help to shut benesyed up.

Hey now, I'm no mercenary. I'm just a well-intentioned guy who got mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue
post #31113 of 43373
Anyone?
Question re: quality (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post

Discussions about wit in design are one thing, but what does quality even mean? (0)
Are we talking about durability? (lack of) defects? ??? At what point does "quality" override the stylistic value of a garment? All of this grumbling about the quality of a high-end designer's products just rings hollow, to an extent.
The reason that I look for designer pieces on sale, on B&S, or elsewhere, is because I know that I can't find that exact design elsewhere. Knock-off pieces from chain stores hardly do their source of inspiration justice; and there's no doubt that the touch, fit, and consistency of the "real thing" far surpass the knock-offs. I know that I've no experience with much designer clothing—much less experience determining the "quality" of some piece of clothing—but what concrete examples can you guys point to when the integrity of quality is at stake? I'm sincerely interested in better understanding this.
post #31114 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeemon View Post

my fish sweater arrived
they also sent a lookbook of the men's/womens show
fit is on the slim side (i have size 50)
the fabric is not as thick as i expected (which is good)

From this day forward, you will be incessantly answering the questions "why do you have a bib on the back of your shirt and why is there a fish on it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post

Im going to wear it anyways, I'm not insulted. I made a simple point, its been discussed already so I skipped to a simple response. It is no coincidence I am usually the one that triggers these conversations and I respond cause I disagree. My posts are nitpicked as you can see with a one line quote being taken out of proportion
Can't help it its the same people that say the say thing, I will disagree all the time

while your original RP sparked me to say id rather buy H&M MMM than current MMM, berneysed's comment that he likes current season MMM over OG MMM is what got people riled up. Have you ever heard someone say this? I haven't. and it's pretty perplexing.

berneyseyd said the current collections are more wearable which doesnt make any sense because margiela's primary goal was to make clothes that were wearable by everyday people.
of course there were exceptions like the disco ball suit but most things were highly wearable or super innovative and the best were the ones that were both.

I think what berneyseyd meant to say was he didnt like the aesthetics of the OG deconstructed stuff. if you don't that's fine. many people wouldn't wear that stuff. those people wouldn't wear it if he were still making it now. but those people also aren't going to be wearing anything else thats avante garde either.
post #31115 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post

Anyone? Question re: quality (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 
Discussions about wit in design are one thing, but what does quality even mean? (0)
Are we talking about durability? (lack of) defects? ??? At what point does "quality" override the stylistic value of a garment? All of this grumbling about the quality of a high-end designer's products just rings hollow, to an extent.
The reason that I look for designer pieces on sale, on B&S, or elsewhere, is because I know that I can't find that exact design elsewhere. Knock-off pieces from chain stores hardly do their source of inspiration justice; and there's no doubt that the touch, fit, and consistency of the "real thing" far surpass the knock-offs. I know that I've no experience with much designer clothing—much less experience determining the "quality" of some piece of clothing—but what concrete examples can you guys point to when the integrity of quality is at stake? I'm sincerely interested in better understanding this.

It's (obviously) very subjective, hence the disagreements on it. That said, for me and probably many others, it has to do with the feel/texture/details of the fabric. Garment construction (the literal sewing of the pieces of fabric together) doesn't really get much better at more expensive/exclusive levels (though often more complex). Some might include durability but I wouldn't place much importance on it since mall brand garments often have good durability but feel no more special to me. Also, many garments (though more so shoes) are intended to age, and this really puts the whole idea of durability into question. Many of my favorite clothes are my most worn in.
post #31116 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurm View Post


It's (obviously) very subjective, hence the disagreements on it. That said, for me and probably many others, it has to do with the feel/texture/details of the fabric. Garment construction (the literal sewing of the pieces of fabric together) doesn't really get much better at more expensive/exclusive levels (though often more complex). Some might include durability but I wouldn't place much importance on it since mall brand garments often have good durability but feel no more special to me. Also, many garments (though more so shoes) are intended to age, and this really puts the whole idea of durability into question. Many of my favorite clothes are my most worn in.

 

This is a good answer; I asked the same question a long time ago.  Some of the most expensive garments on the planet (Kiton, etc) aren't really made to last all that long.

post #31117 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq4you View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeemon View Post

my fish sweater arrived
they also sent a lookbook of the men's/womens show
fit is on the slim side (i have size 50)
the fabric is not as thick as i expected (which is good)

From this day forward, you will be incessantly answering the questions "why do you have a bib on the back of your shirt and why is there a fish on it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post

Im going to wear it anyways, I'm not insulted. I made a simple point, its been discussed already so I skipped to a simple response. It is no coincidence I am usually the one that triggers these conversations and I respond cause I disagree. My posts are nitpicked as you can see with a one line quote being taken out of proportion
Can't help it its the same people that say the say thing, I will disagree all the time

while your original RP sparked me to say id rather buy H&M MMM than current MMM, berneysed's comment that he likes current season MMM over OG MMM is what got people riled up. Have you ever heard someone say this? I haven't. and it's pretty perplexing.

berneyseyd said the current collections are more wearable which doesnt make any sense because margiela's primary goal was to make clothes that were wearable by everyday people.
of course there were exceptions like the disco ball suit but most things were highly wearable or super innovative and the best were the ones that were both.

I think what berneyseyd meant to say was he didnt like the aesthetics of the OG deconstructed stuff. if you don't that's fine. many people wouldn't wear that stuff. those people wouldn't wear it if he were still making it now. but those people also aren't going to be wearing anything else thats avante garde either.

Berne is trying to find his niche and I won't fault him for that, he may very well like the new over the old. I like a very small part of old Margiela fact is I was too young to experience or appreciate any of it. I have held and touched old pieces, I can appreciate them, but buying them would only be to satisfy my nostalgia and not to wear it. I want new, I want diffrent, I don't want the old. Despite your list, which has many errors in my opinion I don't buy Margiela for quality, I buy it for the fit and design. Just to make it clear I haven't had any piece of mine fall apart or rip and I wear these in the hot Fl sun all day where salt is in the air etc. I find Margiela high tops very childish looking and prefer Lanvin hightops, I don't buy everyhthing Margiela blindly, I have to make sure of the fabrics weight and how it holds up in my enviorment.

And yeah man you don't have to take a jab at me and say you prefer H&M

Here is a recent purchase I've been looking for a while to wear with my slim wool pants or evening wear to carry just a cc and drivers license. It was hiding in plain sight on Por Vocacao.

post #31118 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post

Eh brad I don't think that's a fair representation of regis' response.

brad's a pretty big fan of strawman arguments haha



and the animosity towards regis can sort of be traced back to when he first started posting, he got in a lot of cat fights with prominent members and was pretty cocky in general. Nowadays, he posts great fits and mostly defends a brand that he loves.

I have no problem with him, but a few posters here still do
post #31119 of 43373
what's the debate here? fashion and movies are subjective. who are to say that a movie like the king's speech is 'better' than spiderman? what does 'better' mean? same with clothing brands - dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folk as i always say.
post #31120 of 43373
I honestly wasn't trying to present a strawman. If I actually misunderstood what Regis meant, my fault.
post #31121 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

I honestly wasn't trying to present a strawman. If I actually misunderstood what Regis meant, my fault.

You didn't.

Regis wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisDB9 View Post

Disagree with that, but great, don't buy it...what a simple concept no?

Nobody was actually talking about contemplating an MMM purchase (the conversation rooted from H&MxMMM). What he was saying clearly suggests that people shouldn't talk about it if they don't buy it - that they should keep their thoughts to themselves.
post #31122 of 43373
^I found that amusing, was going to post the same thing as brad then laughed when I saw the strawman and brad agreeing.

Benes is drawing a conclusion based on limited information and zero first hand experience, basically juding a book by its cover. His tastes have not fully matured and as such is not qualitifed to make a valid judgment in our circle, for him yes that's fine but taste changes over time when someone is exposed to new concepts. I have been coppin margiela since 06, been to both boutiques, barneys and other shops that carry margiela, seen the expansiveness of the collections, tried on a hundred pieces etc so I feel I am qualified among others on this forum to make an informed decision which is vastly different than comparing lookbook photos online. Also I have to correct regis' reference to the new and different to just new (and not in design) as that is basically the only desirable characteristic it seems in his cops. Margiela was innovative and far ahead of its time, now it is a mere shadow of its history, innovation is gone and tackiness has ensued. Design is dead. There is nothing "different" about what the maison puts out today this is just wrong. It is just watered down and un-directional, confused at best. There is nothing wrong for buying something because you like the design but people will opine on the design and ultimately your taste, however subjective the latter may be. I think laceless sneakers look childish and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Be prepared for discussion and I must admit I rather enjoy these types of derailments.
post #31123 of 43373
nice triple post
post #31124 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

^I found that amusing, was going to post the same thing as brad then laughed when I saw the strawman and brad agreeing.
Benes is drawing a conclusion based on limited information and zero first hand experience, basically juding a book by its cover. His tastes have not fully matured and as such is not qualitifed to make a valid judgment in our circle, for him yes that's fine but taste changes over time when someone is exposed to new concepts. I have been coppin margiela since 06, been to both boutiques, barneys and other shops that carry margiela, seen the expansiveness of the collections, tried on a hundred pieces etc so I feel I am qualified among others on this forum to make an informed decision which is vastly different than comparing lookbook photos online. Also I have to correct regis' reference to the new and different to just new (and not in design) as that is basically the only desirable characteristic it seems in his cops. Margiela was innovative and far ahead of its time, now it is a mere shadow of its history, innovation is gone and tackiness has ensued. Design is dead. There is nothing "different" about what the maison puts out today this is just wrong. It is just watered down and un-directional, confused at best. There is nothing wrong for buying something because you like the design but people will opine on the design and ultimately your taste, however subjective the latter may be. I think laceless sneakers look childish and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Be prepared for discussion and I must admit I rather enjoy these types of derailments.

I hope you're keeping the real jet well fed and hydrated while you have him tied to a chair in the basement.
post #31125 of 43373
Quote:
Originally Posted by APK View Post

I hope you're keeping the real jet well fed and hydrated while you have him tied to a chair in the basement.

jet's 'serious' posts are so on point and well written that I'm convinced 90% of his other posts are complete meta-humour ala conceptual 4est
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Recent purchases - Part II