• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ButtonSwap™ Poast! Need SF Groupthink Advice.

elgreco

Reaction score
I recently kop-diddly-opped a 3-roll-2 blazer from Gilt and though it comes with silver/pewter buttons, I'm still really not a fan of metal buttons on blazers. So, I'm yoinking the idea from whnayyyyy's recent Ruby Nacho's d/b blazer with the light horn buttons and thinking of swapping the current set of buttons on my jacket with some lighter colored ones. Here's where the groupthink comes into play. Please provide guidance, advice, occasional snark, and perhaps some inside jokes regarding these potential button choices. Bear in mind, that this is likely to be used as an all-season blazer, so I would appreciate some guidance as to the seasonality of the buttons and other minor issues that may cause iGent conniptions if not addressed:

1) "Variated grey"
DSCN1300.jpg

2) "Off-white Matte w/ dark line"
DSCN2138.jpg

3) "Corno buffalo - Option D
H3427-201-big.jpg

4) "Natural shell"
DSCN1456.jpg

5) "Foo"
foo.gif

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
Huh? You didn't specify the color of your blazer.
Blazers w/ metal buttons are, by definition, navy in color. And this one happens to be deep navy. Here's the blazer in question anyway:
med.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3C

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light horn,somewhere whnay has it on his DB Rubinacci jacket.

elgreco

Reaction score
What are some decent online button shops? I'm struggling to find a decent light colored button.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would leave them as is or change then to gold or bronze but not plastic. Metal buttons are tradional for a blazer, plastic should be reserved for sportcoats. Besides it will begin to look more like a suit jacket rather then a blazer if you do.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about a more "matted" metal...I just got some buttons from Benson and Clegg for a hopsack blazer being cut...a deep titanium color, but not at all shiny.

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I would leave them as is or change then to gold or bronze but not plastic.
Who said anything about plastic? And also, I'm not a 12 y/o in Catholic school anymore, so the metal buttons have to go. Rob - that sounds interesting. I assume they have a website? EDIT nevermind - I was looking at their website earlier today.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
plastic should be reserved for sportcoats
After two years, I'm still not sure if you're real or not

elgreco

Reaction score
Brushed gunmetal for your consideration per the discussions between NYR and me.
DSC_0079B.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3C

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads