or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part II - Page 769

post #11521 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

All good but burn the tie
Great shirt tie combo, dont know about the PS
Stitchy, your beard is manly and fragrant
Dbl monks are too casual for that fit
Seems like 50-75 characters could do the trick. But I'm sure it's possible to be hurtful in 50 characters

all good -tie
beard man!
dbl monks blah

15 characters even seems sufficient for thumbs
post #11522 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

Or just have their posts marked as auto-read. This seems like the easiest solution. I'd imagine not bumping the thread in your sub queue is harder, but having it marked read so the thread title won't appear bolded should be an easy fix. (you would still see the characters though... not sure why those few characters would offend though)

That's a good point. It makes sense for ignored posts not to trigger a bump to the top of your reading list.
post #11523 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Agreed. This just became another outlet for snark. Thumbs up should be no more than a way to eliminate all the +1 comments. If you have something to say, why not just reply? And we used the fora for years without the thumbs up, suddenly its a big deal?
This was pretty much our line of thinking. That, plus the fact that we could not actually delete or edit thread comments, cemented our decision. Of course, things can change, but I just don't see it happening in the immediate or short term.
Quote:
Having worked in IT for the last 20 yrs, 4k a week is about right for web based work. The idea you can do it for a few hundred bucks is laughable. When you reach a critical mass of users, you need to invest in professionals. This is not 1998 where interns build your site. Users have experience on the web and expectations.
Thanks for validating this. The $4K/week number is not pulled from thin air. That's the price of a decent contractor. Right now, we have 1.4MM+ (going on 1.5MM unique visitors a month) with closing on 11MM pageviews. That's a lot of queries. It's actually considerably higher than forum software was ever designed to accomodate. Before our conversion, we were experiencing more and more system shutdowns, and were forced to take away more and more functionality. I'm not sure how many of you remember that.
Quote:
One mod I would like to suggest is to have quoted comments for people you ignore also blocked out. In addition, when you click on 'my posts' and see the run down of your threads, if the last person that posted is on ignore, you still see the first x characters of their reply. I'd like to see that blocked as well.
A very good idea, and one we find reasonable and have considered many times, but the development resources are just not there to make this a top priority. Sometime in the future, however, we'd love to see this happen.
post #11524 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

all good -tie
beard man!
dbl monks blah
15 characters even seems sufficient for thumbs

Or

Such an idiot
Pathetic loser
Stupid fool
Learn to spell

Those are about 15 too.
post #11525 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Or
Such an idiot
Pathetic loser
Stupid fool
Learn to spell
Those are about 15 too.

And? I thought the idea behind removing thumbs was to prevent conversation happening in the shadows, not prevent people from being assholes? Because only one of those is possible while people are still allowed to post.
post #11526 of 14341
I'm in the camp that doesn't understand why this is such a big deal. If you want to say something, type it out in a response in line with the rest of the discussion. If it was "so important" it can only add to the discussion, right?
post #11527 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLSI View Post

And? I thought the idea behind removing thumbs was to prevent conversation happening in the shadows, not prevent people from being assholes? Because only one of those is possible while people are still allowed to post.

You missed the part where the Mr. LA Guy said that the reason for getting rid of the thumb commentary was that it... could not be moderated. If you're an asshole while typing out a regular forum reply, it can be edited/deleted/etc. Thumb comments could not be edited/deleted/etc.
post #11528 of 14341
note, i did not complain that about them to the mods, and i didnt personally receive any nasty thumbs that really bothered me. but i did see them, all over the forum. as i said before. I LIKED the thumb comments. but they were misused. i have yet to see an actual solution offered that wouldnt be a huge PIA/expense to the people that would have to moderate it.

what i have heard is, but there was a lot of good useful commentary in the comments, and it cut down on "unneeded posts" (whatever that means, cuz 8 pages of hamburgers and 90s obscure gangta rap is apparently not "uneeded"[which i found hugely entertaining personally, but be consistent in what you call "unneeded," people]). and all that is good and well, and true. but it doesnt negate the misuse.

find a real solution to the misuse, and im sure we can have our beloved thumb comments back.
post #11529 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

A very good idea, and one we find reasonable and have considered many times, but the development resources are just not there to make this a top priority. Sometime in the future, however, we'd love to see this happen.

I second the call to improve the block/ignore function. It can't even be considered ignore when you can still see all their posts that are quoted. I also don't think it is necessary to have their posts show up as spoilers.

People say the drawback is that it creates disconnects because people will be quoting the ignored member and that causes confusion. I disagree. I have seen forums run perfectly fine wherein ignore is truly ignore, and everything the ignoree types is completely invisible to the member who blocked that person.
post #11530 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

re: the ignore issue. are you fucking kidding me. if you have someone on ignore are you going to die or something if you see a quoted post of theirs, or even few characters of their posts inadvertently? yeesh.

Special flowers.

It's not like people are posting CP and you might accidentally click on it. Oh no, you don't like someone and are made aware that they posted something. Seems like a damn low priority.
post #11531 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post

Special flowers.
It's not like people are posting CP and you might accidentally click on it. Oh no, you don't like someone and are made aware that they posted something. Seems like a damn low priority.

I think it's a high priority. If there's one thing that would truly make SF an easier place to have a civil discourse, it would be the ability to truly block and ignore the trolls.
post #11532 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

I think it's a high priority. If there's one thing that would truly make SF an easier place to have a civil discourse, it would be the ability to truly block and ignore the trolls.

that i can understand.
post #11533 of 14341
See who thought this was helpful. (Click to show)
Or, some of you pantywaists could grow a thicker skin.
post #11534 of 14341
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORE View Post

See who thought this was helpful. (Click to show)
Or, some of you pantywaists could grow a thicker skin.

Lol. I can hear that when it comes to people that you just don't like. Or find annoying. But I also can understand why some of the trolling can get to the point where people just don't want to read it at all anymore.
post #11535 of 14341
Man I wish I could have made the thumb button work for that post.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part II