or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Site Topics - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Site Topics - Part II - Page 923

post #13831 of 14919
I don't think I will ever fully retire. But if I did it surely won't be at 49, or whatever. Maybe 89.
post #13832 of 14919
that is sad. one of my greatest fears in life is having to work past 60.
post #13833 of 14919
When trying to see who has thumbed a post, I get redirected to a page "insufficient permissions, You do not have permissions to view user reputation".
post #13834 of 14919
had the same issue. logged out and then back in, and that fixed it for me.
post #13835 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

that is sad. one of my greatest fears in life is having to work past 60.

Not all of us are breeding a herd to support us when we get older. I'm with Booth; I'm never going to fully retire and will work full time until I'm 64.
post #13836 of 14919
laugh.gif

while that would be cool, its not the reason for my having a "herd" of kids.
post #13837 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Actually, I spend most of my time on SWD, and it was my baby from the beginning.  There have always been stupidity on SWD (and really, all over the forum, and in any gathering more than one person).  To go back to the bar analogy, there is always some guy you can't stand.  I'm not kicking people out just because you can't stand them (incidentally, this is something I told Manton for years.)  You can easily put him on ignore.  If enough people ignore a guy, he will either back off, or he'll escalate things to a point where he is banned.  

And let that be the end of that.

Cheers,

Fok,

Honestly, this. Sometimes I feel that tolerance is in short supply in today's society and that people need to become more comfortable with being annoyed by others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I've never put anyone on ignore (and I know I would just click the damn thing any time they responded to a thread I was participating in)...but that sounds like a personal problem

I hate to put on my old-man hat, mainly because I'm not really that old, just much older than your average poster in SWD. In my wizened state, however, it would appear to me that a fair number of poster in that forum lack the discipline ignore the contributions of posters they find to be obnoxious. Just use the ignore function and have the discipline to not click on the spoilered posts. I'll admit that it's tempting at first, but you actually get used to it very quickly. And if it turns out that laschenko isn't an ass and other people who haven't ignored him start to show some sort of encouragement towards his activity, I'll go back and unblock him. It's happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again.
post #13838 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post


Fuck off
post #13839 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

I hate to put on my old-man hat, mainly because I'm not really that old, just much older than your average poster in SWD. In my wizened state, however, it would appear to me that a fair number of poster in that forum lack the discipline ignore the contributions of posters they find to be obnoxious. Just use the ignore function and have the discipline to not click on the spoilered posts. I'll admit that it's tempting at first, but you actually get used to it very quickly. And if it turns out that laschenko isn't an ass and other people who haven't ignored him start to show some sort of encouragement towards his activity, I'll go back and unblock him. It's happened before and I'm sure it'll happen again.

I simply have the discipline to not care about the posts I don't like...If I had them on ignore, I would always click on them...instead I can simply choose to skim them or choose to ignore them completely with a twist of the mousewheel.
post #13840 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

Fuck off

Apt reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I simply have the discipline to not care about the posts I don't like...If I had them on ignore, I would always click on them...instead I can simply choose to skim them or choose to ignore them completely with a twist of the mousewheel.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
post #13841 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

Honestly, this. Sometimes I feel that tolerance is in short supply in today's society and that people need to become more comfortable with being annoyed by others.
this. to extend the commonly used barroom metaphor, some people wish their neighborhood bar was more like their living room.
post #13842 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggskip View Post

And if it turns out that laschenko isn't an ass

 

This is not a possibility. He criticized someone's gloves because they had synthetic fibers in them :plain: Advocacy of organic anything should be grounds for banning (2).

post #13843 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMartNJ View Post

This is not a possibility. He criticized someone's gloves because they had synthetic fibers in them plain.gif  Advocacy of organic anything should be grounds for banning (2).

I get your point, but I will continue to eat organic meat.
post #13844 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't think I will ever fully retire. But if I did it surely won't be at 49, or whatever. Maybe 89.

I don't have plans to retire but realistically we're all going to have sexy robot bodies and live forever in about 30 years anyway.
post #13845 of 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I don't think I will ever fully retire. But if I did it surely won't be at 49, or whatever. Maybe 89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

that is sad. one of my greatest fears in life is having to work past 60.

I honestly can't wait to retire. I'll probably still have some sort of small business but the day that I can do that on my own terms at my own pace and fit it around my life will be a great day. I still don't think it will be before 60, but as long as we have a nice house in the country somewhere with a river full of trout close by, then I'll be content.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Site Topics - Part II