or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Site Topics - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Site Topics - Part II - Page 847

post #12691 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

shadow community


 

 

I would also like to point out that my repost here in this thread got 9 thumbs, and the original post has received 64 thumbs so far, so clearly this is a request that has popular support.

 

Anyone who, in the future, abuses thumb comments can simply be timed out or banned for doing so, so the argument that we shouldn't have them because they are "impossible to moderate" really doesn't hold water.

 

At the very least, I think this is an issue worth revisiting and discussing and is certainly more relevant to this thread than which MC poster wants a new "title" or whatever.

post #12692 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

I would also like to point out that my repost here in this thread got 9 thumbs, and the original post has received 64 thumbs so far, so clearly this is a request that has popular support.
Anyone who, in the future, abuses thumb comments can simply be timed out or banned for doing so, so the argument that we shouldn't have them because they are "impossible to moderate" really doesn't hold water.
At the very least, I think this is an issue worth revisiting and discussing and is certainly more relevant to this thread than which MC poster wants a new "title" or whatever.

SVB Custom Title - Thumb Comment Freedom Fighter
post #12693 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

FTFY.

Jr, final warning: please address elite members by their full names.

It isn't my fault your mom gave me brain and she didn't give you one.
post #12694 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

I would also like to point out that my repost here in this thread got 9 thumbs, and the original post has received 64 thumbs so far, so clearly this is a request that has popular support.

Anyone who, in the future, abuses thumb comments can simply be timed out or banned for doing so, so the argument that we shouldn't have them because they are "impossible to moderate" really doesn't hold water.

At the very least, I think this is an issue worth revisiting and discussing and is certainly more relevant to this thread than which MC poster wants a new "title" or whatever.

Stanley, just my perspective here but I don't believe that thumb comments are directly reportable, editable, or deletable. at least I've never seen that degree of accountability in thumb comments. and I say that as someone who liked them.
post #12695 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

It isn't my fault your mom gave me brain and she didn't give you one.

Gave me brain. Gave you brain too! Brain for all. Arrrrgh...

post #12696 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Stanley, just my perspective here but I don't believe that thumb comments are directly reportable, editable, or deletable. at least I've never seen that degree of accountability in thumb comments. and I say that as someone who liked them.

not that i am big "thumb comment freedom fighter" myself, but i assume that the idea would be kind of self policing. if someone were to notice objectionable or OTT thumb comments, they could PM a mod or something with a link to the post, and the mod could take it from there.
post #12697 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Stanley, just my perspective here but I don't believe that thumb comments are directly reportable, editable, or deletable. at least I've never seen that degree of accountability in thumb comments. and I say that as someone who liked them.

 

No, I understand that. I'm saying it doesn't matter because if in fact a problem should arise, users are still free to PM any of the several moderators who have plenty of options available to deal with the offending user in such a case.

 

I get that this may not be as "clean" as flagging a post directly, I just don't think that's sufficient justification for removing a feature that was useful and overwhelmingly popular.

post #12698 of 14742

On a related matter, there seems to still be a glitch in the thumbs (whether they include comments or not) where only the most recent ones appear. Whereas if I recall correctly, it used to be possible to scroll through all of them, even when posts had 60 or more thumbs. This is less of an issue when we don't have comments but it's a glitch nonetheless.

post #12699 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

On a related matter, there seems to still be a glitch in the thumbs (whether they include comments or not) where only the most recent ones appear. Whereas if I recall correctly, it used to be possible to scroll through all of them, even when posts had 60 or more thumbs. This is less of an issue when we don't have comments but it's a glitch nonetheless.

i have always noticed that. it seems that field has a max capacity for how much data it holds before it starts pushing out older data.
post #12700 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post

No, I understand that. I'm saying it doesn't matter because if in fact a problem should arise, users are still free to PM any of the several moderators who have plenty of options available to deal with the offending user in such a case.

I get that this may not be as "clean" as flagging a post directly, I just don't think that's sufficient justification for removing a feature that was useful and overwhelmingly popular.

We do listen to member requests, but we may disagree with them. We got rid of comments in thumbs, and we do not plan to bring them back, for several reasons.

1) Comments in thumbs are not editable or deletable, which makes moderation impossible. Even if an offending party is timed out or banned, we can't clean up the garbage, which is a big problem. If comments were editable and deletable, this might be up for some debate, but as is, this is a closed issue.
2) Thumbs are meant to be a simple approval of the post, to decrease the number of "+1" posts, and increase If there is anything more to say about the post, another post is warranted.
3) Since threads are now "nested" (though I never use that function myself), if someone has a reply to a specific post, they can do so, which takes away the need for thumb comments anyway.
post #12701 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i have always noticed that. it seems that field has a max capacity for how much data it holds before it starts pushing out older data.

Wierd. I'll check this out.

Cheers,

Fok.
post #12702 of 14742
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

3) Since threads are now "nested" (though I never use that function myself), if someone has a reply to a specific post, they can do so, which takes away the need for thumb comments anyway.

 


wait, what?

 

how does this work?

post #12703 of 14742
I'm curious about that, too. Let's test it. This post is a reply to your post.
post #12704 of 14742
i too wondered what that meant. maybe a resident tech nerd can explain it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Wierd. I'll check this out.
Cheers,
Fok.

thanks. smile.gif
post #12705 of 14742
I literally have no idea. I just saw it in an upgrade memo once. If I can find it, I'll post instructions.

I personally don't even use subscriptions. My browsing and reading is purely random walk. Actually, I wasn't even aware that there were subscriptions on VB until I read the feature list. True story.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Site Topics - Part II