or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6581  

post #98701 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post


M&C
Uniqlo
S2A
Alyssa Norton

Can  you link me to the pants? Really liking them

post #98702 of 117668
I guess the pants do look a bit blue-ish in that photo, but irl they're just a plain black. They're the slim straight fit, so I'm pretty sure that they're these (don't know if Uniqlo has altered the fit of their jeans at all in the past year).

And as far as the personal style stuff goes, I'm hesitant to suggest I actually have one. I've worn a bunch of disparate items over the course of the past year, and I've yet to really settle on something I really love. I feel great wearing this kind of outfit, but I can't say for sure that "vaguely Western" is a look I'll stick with. Sure I've recently come to like a lot of the LVC and LMC stuff, but there's no way I'm headed to denim-head or cowboy territory. Whenever I look at an outfit and think, "yeah, this looks really f'n great," it always seems like something that happened by chance. For example, I purchased the boots thinking they'd be pretty cool with some faded blue jeans; however, it turns out that they already work pretty well with these black jeans, and then I wound up ordering the shirt (and I've still got a while to go before my Nudies are sufficiently beat up, as a previous fit shows pretty well). For a long time I'd look at individual items and think, "damn, that looks great," and just go for it without considering how it might fit with what I already own.

I know this forum has a tendency to blast practical concerns like versatility, but when you're still building a wardrobe it really helps to be more thoughtful about the bigger picture: can I actually wear this? or am I purchasing something that will just sit in my closet until I buy the *next* thing? (I didn't really ever do the latter, but I did buy some pretty damn incongruous things that I simply wished I'd passed on.) Oh, and not to mention the fact that there are just a ton of different things I like/would like to wear/find inspiring. It's a frustrating balancing act, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see how things have changed over the course of a year.
Edited by thewho13 - 7/27/13 at 5:31pm
post #98703 of 117668
Firstly who, I really love that fit.

Secondly, there is so much in your post above that resonates with me. It's nice to read it laid out like that.

Seeing your before and after and Casey's the other day, I am very impressed.
post #98704 of 117668
RXfU3c8.jpg


Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post

For a long time I'd look at individual items and think, "damn, that looks great," and just go for it without considering how it might fit with what I already own..


Yes, the Tetris Gambit. I know it well. Forever hopeful the next piece will bring satisfaction, unity and fulfillment, the one that drives it home.

.
post #98705 of 117668
@who, i think for me its increasingly a question of comfort. Obviously yohji is very comfortable and great to wear whenever i can like on weekends. But for med school ive found some great brands that make stuff that is very comfortable to wear. Its nice to look good but its better to feel good while doing it.
post #98706 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post

And as far as the personal style stuff goes, I'm hesitant to suggest I actually have one.

But that's kind of my point. I think you look better than you did simply because you started wearing better clothes and got a better haircut. Your style isn't uniquely yours. And when I say that I don't mean that as a knock. It's just that I sometimes see or hear people, when asked to "define their style", pause and reflect and try to come up with a profound answer, when half of the time the real answer is probably "I saw someone else wear it and I thought it looked cool.", but I think that might be something most people don't want to admit. I don't think style has to be as abstract as some people make it out to be. There sometimes seems to be a resistance to the idea that you can just buy style or that style can be copied. There are a lot of people who dress well in this thread, but I don't think there are a lot of completely original people in this thread, but I don't think there needs to be.
post #98707 of 117668
There's no shame in it. If you look at any great artist, the path to originality begins with imitation.
post #98708 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurlwyde View Post

What jacket is this?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post

http://johncoppidge.tumblr.com/a2bomber2011

I assume in black lamb with half placket

Close, it's the A2 in brown lamb. Rubbish picture makes it look black.
post #98709 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Huh? View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
But that's kind of my point. I think you look better than you did simply because you started wearing better clothes and got a better haircut. Your style isn't uniquely yours. And when I say that I don't mean that as a knock. It's just that I sometimes see or hear people, when asked to "define their style", pause and reflect and try to come up with a profound answer, when half of the time the real answer is probably "I saw someone else wear it and I thought it looked cool.", but I think that might be something most people don't want to admit. I don't think style has to be as abstract as some people make it out to be. There sometimes seems to be a resistance to the idea that you can just buy style or that style can be copied. There are a lot of people who dress well in this thread, but I don't think there are a lot of completely original people in this thread, but I don't think there needs to be.

Oh, I know. I meant to acknowledge the fact I was working off of your point, but I must have done so rather clumsily.
post #98710 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesyed View Post

weekend wear smile.gif

i love everything about your fits, man. something about them combined with your forum persona just seems so appropriate and self-assured in an understated way. your clothes seem to suit your character and make a subtle statement that is aesthetically interesting, a bit quirky but totally authentic.
post #98711 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino View Post

I dunno. They're too …loud for my taste, but I'm not big on metal anyways. I would, for example, never wear a watch with a metal band. Or, in fact, play in a metal band. (If the guys from ISIS read this, I totally would play with you!)
Wood buttons would make me wanna drool.gif all over you, dear stitch.
Gut shabbes!

no worries. and gut vuch!
--
thanks for the "thumbs" ya'll!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

wink.gif
Thanks everyone! (Pleasantly) surprised at the positive feedback for such a simple look. I'll try to post more often!

please do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post

I thought this too from photos.  The camera tends to make them look bigger and brighter than they are, IRL they're really subtle and dull.

would agree with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

Covering your mouth makes it easier to get a photo where you don't look like a slack-jawed fuckwit

lolz

fishbones - nice fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Judaism is not forbidding you to have tattoos, you're forbidding yourself to have tattoos due to Judaism.
Source: Jew with ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

well then you're not a very good jew, now are you
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post

The best Jews are the Jews with guilt.
Wait that's all of us.

lol, that was a funny convo, sorry i am late to it.

mark - judaism is definitely forbidding me to get a tattoo. it is a jewish law, and i abide by it. i understand that most people do not abide by all jewish laws, and that is every jews personal business, and i never judge anyone for their decisions. however, that does not change the law from being what it is.


back to clothing,

kg and who - sick fits, my doods.
post #98712 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by raags View Post

i love everything about your fits, man. something about them combined with your forum persona just seems so appropriate and self-assured in an understated way. your clothes seem to suit your character and make a subtle statement that is aesthetically interesting, a bit quirky but totally authentic.


Oh_stop_it_you.png
Aw shucks, thanks man smile.gif
post #98713 of 117668

 

Nike/BLK DNM/Nike

 

Someone suggested cuffing so no stacks, which I'm gonna have to try.

post #98714 of 117668
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho13 View Post

IYFKFO7.png


M&C
Uniqlo
S2A
Alyssa Norton

I like this because it's a bunch of stuff that's pretty cool but not amazing or goes together great but it looks like comfortable clothing and all pretty good and just a person wearing clothes and it's fine. And actually there're aspects of it that are kind of ugly but fuck it. The hair is not so good I don't care. Though I don't like the straight hem of the shir actually if I'm going to pick nits. Whatever

edit plus bonus comment I always want to like benes fit but then it is not as desired I think th shirt is wrong or maybe zippers just gaudy it is not pleasingent maybe needs less zippes more droopy drop blap
post #98715 of 117668

Details (Click to show)



Geller/Qlo/Margiela/Isaora/HMMMM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread