Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/26/15 at 3:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
What I Learned from Slim Denim
Last edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6482
Styleforum Top Pickspost #97217 of 1176686/30/13 at 3:10ampost #97218 of 1176686/30/13 at 3:30ampost #97219 of 1176686/30/13 at 4:27ampost #97220 of 1176686/30/13 at 6:57ampost #97221 of 1176686/30/13 at 7:39ampost #97222 of 1176686/30/13 at 8:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
Come at me, bro. I'll slice off your testes and wear them like a bolo tie. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
hendrix - that looks really cool.
MoK - love the vest.post #97223 of 1176686/30/13 at 8:44ampost #97224 of 1176686/30/13 at 9:48amQuote:
I personally love mixing less expensive and more expensive stuff. Eg. a uniqlo tee (below 20 bucks) and MMM sneakers (above 500 bucks). It's fun like this. Making a rule of wearing everything expensive at the same time is kinda meh and boring.post #97225 of 1176686/30/13 at 9:55ampost #97226 of 1176686/30/13 at 10:51amQuote:
Sounds like peasant talk.
In all seriousness, cheap beater clothes are always going to be a lot more more "meh" than anything expensive [that you bothered to spend money on], so your statement does not make a lot of sense unless you mean "boring" as in "everything on my body is designer cashmere so no I won't go paintballing with you right now."
Wearing some cheaper items is unavoidable because wearing all Lanvin all the time is impossible for anyone without unlimited discretionary spending. That doesn't mean you have to justify it by saying wearing nice clothes exclusively would be somehow undesirable. That's silly.post #97227 of 1176686/30/13 at 11:23am
I've seen rich peasants (of both sexes) and rich low-life bums, the ones with a lot of money but no class - wear everything super expensive. And they look god awful in that expensive outfit because they have no taste. They have no clue on how to combine one item with another (regardless of the price of these items). In your post you so sounded a bit like one of these people. Hopefully you aren't. Knowing how to combine less expensive clothes with more expensive clothes is a gift. Not everyone possesses this gift but the ones who do (and I've seen such people, some people on this forum included, myself excluded) look terrific.post #97228 of 1176686/30/13 at 11:35ampost #97229 of 1176686/30/13 at 11:39ampost #97230 of 1176686/30/13 at 11:43amQuote:Originally Posted by Jbravo
I've seen rich peasants (of both sexes) and rich low-life bums, the ones with a lot of money but no class - wear everything super expensive. And they look god awful in that expensive outfit because they have no taste. They have no clue on how to combine one item with another (regardless of the price of these items). In your post you so sounded a bit like one of these people. Hopefully you aren't. Knowing how to combine less expensive clothes with more expensive clothes is a gift. Not everyone possesses this gift but the ones who do (and I've seen such people, some people on this forum included, myself excluded) look terrific.
This is nonsense. Why do you think expensive equals gaudy? I could assemble a $7000 outfit by Kiton and a $70 outfit by Uniqlo, and from low-resolution photos you might not be able to tell them apart. You can't make stupid generalizations about what expensive clothes are and what cheap clothes are. (Or about whether "rich people" know how to coordinate clothing.)
Hence the idiocy I already pointed out of idealizing a "mix of high- and low-end" clothing the way you did, which is becoming a trend among people who don't seem to understand what they are in fact saying (usually people who say things like "I'm so[ooo] into fashion"). Either your outfit looks good or it doesn't; the fact that it the items might represent a variety of price points does not make them any better than if they were all expensive. If anything, they'll be of poorer materials/quality, but sometimes thriftiness trumps opulence. And there are lots of people who look awful in affordable clothing, plain or not.
You half acknowledge the difference between ability to dress well and ability to afford nice clothes when you say some rich people have no taste, but having less money or buying cheaper clothes doesn't magically make outfits any more tasteful. Criticizing the idea of wearing only expensive clothing is just stupid unless you are specifically referring to some gaudy idiot or someone who can't afford their purchases.
Edited by GoldenTribe - 6/30/13 at 11:55am
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 39 seconds ago
- › The Ikire Jones Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 4 minutes ago
- › *** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit *** 4 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 5 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 5 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 9 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...