@derk how cropped is the leather for you?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 1/12/17 at 11:10pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6464post #96946 of 1176666/23/13 at 8:33ampost #96947 of 1176666/23/13 at 11:47ampost #96948 of 1176666/23/13 at 12:16pmpost #96949 of 1176666/23/13 at 12:52pm
Went to a wedding in Orange County yesterday, black tie optional. There was a girl wearing a beige/tan dress with inside-out darts and exposed zippers. I told my wife, "looks like Margiela, but it can't be. what are the chances? must just be something similar." All the persian women from the bride's side were giving the girl dirty looks all night long, like wtf is your dress on inside out or something. Later on, my wife asked the girl what the dress was, and it was Margiela! I don't know who was more excited, her for having someone recognize it for what it was, or me for having recognized it (or at least guessing correctly). Yeah, I'm a huge nerd.post #96950 of 1176666/23/13 at 12:57pmpost #96951 of 1176666/23/13 at 1:54pmpost #96952 of 1176666/23/13 at 2:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by skypingwally2
I think you have hit the nail right on the head and yet completely dented it in the process instead of hammering it into place.
The art of designing classic menswear today is to capture the essence of classic looks while keeping them contemporary and relevant. That is to say, without making it look like a copy of the classic Bogart look from Casablanca, or the Cary Grant look from North by Northwest, or whatever your favourite classic film is--which, of course, would make it period costume like you correctly point out.
This is so easy to say, and yet so hard to do. I think some designers have some masters working on this and are quite successful. Ralph Lauren's Purple Label, Oxxford, and few others immediately pop to mind. The trick, I think, is to keep some elements that distinguish the classic look and make it instantly recognisable, while updating a carefully chosen set of other elements...eg. length, looseless, shoulder shape, etc.
It is walking a tightrope to be sure. American designers are also more successful at this than Italian designers--who prefer to remain faithful to making the human body beautiful in clothing, rather than aspiring to a classic look which has proven itself, and hence, is approved in fashion society. It's the zeroth order difference between the Italian designers and the English/American designers of classic menswear.
It is also an art that only a master can be successful at. Any idiot can take a garbage bag, wrap it around you with an asymmetrical opening, rolled up pants and extra long sleeves and call it "fashion". Other idiots at Barneys will also agree to hawk it for you It has neither aesthetics, nor time-proven tradition and hence recognition and status. On a few rare occasions, this radicalism is also artistically successful, and more often in womenswear than menswear. But the overwhelming majority of it is garbage.post #96953 of 1176666/23/13 at 2:12pmpost #96954 of 1176666/23/13 at 2:31pmpost #96955 of 1176666/23/13 at 2:43pmpost #96956 of 1176666/23/13 at 3:23pmpost #96957 of 1176666/23/13 at 4:00pmpost #96958 of 1176666/23/13 at 5:59pmpost #96959 of 1176666/23/13 at 6:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by spacepope
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Really like these Isaora trackpants, though I can see what you guys mean by the quality not being so hot.
whatchoo mean? do the pants just seem really rip-able?post #96960 of 1176666/23/13 at 6:08pm
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 12 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 12 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 13 minutes ago
- › Japan Blue JB0601 High tapered Denim size 33 13 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 14 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 15 minutes ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 17 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...