Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
- High-quality white shirt on short notice (in New York?) Last post on 12/15/12 at 5:06am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6464
Styleforum Top Picks
Went to a wedding in Orange County yesterday, black tie optional. There was a girl wearing a beige/tan dress with inside-out darts and exposed zippers. I told my wife, "looks like Margiela, but it can't be. what are the chances? must just be something similar." All the persian women from the bride's side were giving the girl dirty looks all night long, like wtf is your dress on inside out or something. Later on, my wife asked the girl what the dress was, and it was Margiela! I don't know who was more excited, her for having someone recognize it for what it was, or me for having recognized it (or at least guessing correctly). Yeah, I'm a huge nerd.
I think you have hit the nail right on the head and yet completely dented it in the process instead of hammering it into place.
The art of designing classic menswear today is to capture the essence of classic looks while keeping them contemporary and relevant. That is to say, without making it look like a copy of the classic Bogart look from Casablanca, or the Cary Grant look from North by Northwest, or whatever your favourite classic film is--which, of course, would make it period costume like you correctly point out.
This is so easy to say, and yet so hard to do. I think some designers have some masters working on this and are quite successful. Ralph Lauren's Purple Label, Oxxford, and few others immediately pop to mind. The trick, I think, is to keep some elements that distinguish the classic look and make it instantly recognisable, while updating a carefully chosen set of other elements...eg. length, looseless, shoulder shape, etc.
It is walking a tightrope to be sure. American designers are also more successful at this than Italian designers--who prefer to remain faithful to making the human body beautiful in clothing, rather than aspiring to a classic look which has proven itself, and hence, is approved in fashion society. It's the zeroth order difference between the Italian designers and the English/American designers of classic menswear.
It is also an art that only a master can be successful at. Any idiot can take a garbage bag, wrap it around you with an asymmetrical opening, rolled up pants and extra long sleeves and call it "fashion". Other idiots at Barneys will also agree to hawk it for you It has neither aesthetics, nor time-proven tradition and hence recognition and status. On a few rare occasions, this radicalism is also artistically successful, and more often in womenswear than menswear. But the overwhelming majority of it is garbage.
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Swansea City vs Burnley Live stream 17 seconds ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 26 seconds ago
- › (*Watch-TV*)Chelsea vs Leicester City Live Stream 39 seconds ago
- › desperate for help! 49 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › ((FOX TV2PC))~Chelsea vs Leicester Live stream 1 minute ago
- › ((FOX TV2PC))~Crystal Palace vs West Ham Live 1 minute ago
- › Leicester City vs Everton Live Streaming England 2 minutes ago
- › ((FOX TV2PC))~Southampton vs West Brom Live 2 minutes ago
- › FRee!!!!HDTV!!!Blackburn vs Bournemouth Live Streaming 2014 soccer... 2 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)