i will assume i am on the right side of that statement.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 3/13/15 at 2:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/10/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6464post #96946 of 1176686/23/13 at 8:14am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #96947 of 1176686/23/13 at 8:16ampost #96948 of 1176686/23/13 at 8:33ampost #96949 of 1176686/23/13 at 11:47ampost #96950 of 1176686/23/13 at 12:16pmpost #96951 of 1176686/23/13 at 12:52pm
Went to a wedding in Orange County yesterday, black tie optional. There was a girl wearing a beige/tan dress with inside-out darts and exposed zippers. I told my wife, "looks like Margiela, but it can't be. what are the chances? must just be something similar." All the persian women from the bride's side were giving the girl dirty looks all night long, like wtf is your dress on inside out or something. Later on, my wife asked the girl what the dress was, and it was Margiela! I don't know who was more excited, her for having someone recognize it for what it was, or me for having recognized it (or at least guessing correctly). Yeah, I'm a huge nerd.post #96952 of 1176686/23/13 at 12:57pmpost #96953 of 1176686/23/13 at 1:54pmpost #96954 of 1176686/23/13 at 2:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by skypingwally2
I think you have hit the nail right on the head and yet completely dented it in the process instead of hammering it into place.
The art of designing classic menswear today is to capture the essence of classic looks while keeping them contemporary and relevant. That is to say, without making it look like a copy of the classic Bogart look from Casablanca, or the Cary Grant look from North by Northwest, or whatever your favourite classic film is--which, of course, would make it period costume like you correctly point out.
This is so easy to say, and yet so hard to do. I think some designers have some masters working on this and are quite successful. Ralph Lauren's Purple Label, Oxxford, and few others immediately pop to mind. The trick, I think, is to keep some elements that distinguish the classic look and make it instantly recognisable, while updating a carefully chosen set of other elements...eg. length, looseless, shoulder shape, etc.
It is walking a tightrope to be sure. American designers are also more successful at this than Italian designers--who prefer to remain faithful to making the human body beautiful in clothing, rather than aspiring to a classic look which has proven itself, and hence, is approved in fashion society. It's the zeroth order difference between the Italian designers and the English/American designers of classic menswear.
It is also an art that only a master can be successful at. Any idiot can take a garbage bag, wrap it around you with an asymmetrical opening, rolled up pants and extra long sleeves and call it "fashion". Other idiots at Barneys will also agree to hawk it for you It has neither aesthetics, nor time-proven tradition and hence recognition and status. On a few rare occasions, this radicalism is also artistically successful, and more often in womenswear than menswear. But the overwhelming majority of it is garbage.post #96955 of 1176686/23/13 at 2:12pmpost #96956 of 1176686/23/13 at 2:31pmpost #96957 of 1176686/23/13 at 2:43pmpost #96958 of 1176686/23/13 at 3:23pmpost #96959 of 1176686/23/13 at 4:00pmpost #96960 of 1176686/23/13 at 5:59pm
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 )) GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran in... 24 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 minute ago
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 )) GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran... 1 minute ago
- › ***4th Annual SF 2014-2015 YAHOO! FANTASY B-BALL FANTASY LEAGUES... 3 minutes ago
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran in uk 3 minutes ago
- › The Suits of Spectre (2015), the latest Bond film 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 4 minutes ago
- › LOVe proBLEm +919799138999 GEt yoUR lovE BaCK BY vashikaran in dubai 4 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 4 minutes ago
- › Rogue Territory: Handmade Denim Goods 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...