or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 6115  

post #91711 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_r View Post

oh god thats not how it works, is it?!
Also, isn't alot of MC actually mid to late 20's? I seem to remember someone conducting an age survey at some point that put the median age surprisingly lower than I thought it was.

i am resisting pretty hard, but i think we are all doomed. even brad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar3 View Post

Quote:Dat Marinella tie.  Do want.

thanks! but its actually by battisti napoli. one of the many italian unknowns. i had never heard of it before i got it from ehaberdasher. imo, their ties consistently hold a nicer knot than any other tie maker. fantastic stuff.
post #91712 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm not trying to start anything but, well, you haven't been here very long. While there's usually an SWD "look" that's in favor, it has been pretty variable over the years. Heck, even I remember the workwear heyday, and I'm by no means an old-timer. Raf, Jil and Hedi were the forum darlings for a long time, and it's only pretty recently that
the golf ninja and blazer/tee looks have become more prevalent. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Rick looks used to get dismissed pretty handily, to say nothing of Damir's early stuff.

If you take a look at what's being posted these days, it really runs the gamut from updated "workwear" to a nouveau grunge to tech-ninja to the SZ-look,however you want to describe it, to the sort of generic slim-casual Euro stuff that's been inspiring new posters recently. Where the beginner's outfit used to be CP's, Dior, BoO and Sterlingwear, now we've got people yelling about side zips, blazers and leather.
We're edging closer to golf ninja at the moment, too, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
although I suppose we'll see how long that lasts.

What's notable is that it's a lot of the same posters (we've lost plenty, of course) who have been here the whole time, and who appreciate all the diverse styles of SWD without bitching about change or whatever. Frankly, I think the best posters on the forum are those who have an interest in "both sides of the wall. As Dlester pointed out in the suits and blazers thread, what's interesting about SWD is that there isn't a hard and fast set of rules to follow, and things are judged on whether or not they 'look good' vs 'looking like an idiot.'

I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of new posters tend to lament the narrow-minded ness of SWD when really, they just don't look very good. Again, not a personal slight at all, but something I've noticed generally. SWD is a whole lot more accepting than people make it out to be.

first off, please tell me more about this golf ninja. is it hard to golf in a kimono? what is his favorite club? does he hide inside his golf bag? do other players even know he is there?

but for serious, thanks for replying to that, i wanted to, but didnt have enough SWD back-knowledge to do so. i agree with this. i know i am a relative new comer to this thread, but imo, fits that look good consistently get praise. regardless of specific style, or how long the poster has been here. fits that do not look good, not so much. i would certainly say SWD is an accepting place.
post #91713 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i am resisting pretty hard, but i think we are all doomed. even brad.
thanks! but its actually by battisti napoli. one of the many italian unknowns. i had never heard of it before i got it from ehaberdasher. imo, their ties consistently hold a nicer knot than any other tie maker. fantastic stuff.

I'm older and grumpier than the average MC poaster. I'm also not a fucking moron with the taste of Liberace's interior decorator if he was a conservative accountant.

With that said, while the CM forum is mostly populated with tacky James Bond lifestyle wannabe Patrick Bateman losers, these hordes of morons can't keep the quality down for too long as CM is truly the heart of styleforum, there's bound to be an excellent thread by someone with the passion to go the distance with his 5 pages study of mid-century English cufflinks. Look at the recent threads on Japanese bespoke makers, the dude basically translated a bunch of men's ex articles, posted a full makers list, explained where they were trained and met some of the makers to take pictures. A+++
post #91714 of 117677
Speaking of Liberace, Behind the Candelabra looks amazing
post #91715 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthese View Post



I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of new posters tend to lament the narrow-minded ness of SWD when really, they just don't look very good. Again, not a personal slight at all, but something I've noticed generally. SWD is a whole lot more accepting than people make it out to be.

 

 

You cut out my last sentence, which addresses this...

 

You could pretty much wear whatever and people here are going to accept it. Designers like Ann, Damir, Rick, Devoa, etc. can pretty much do whatever and people are going to accept it. Others who are less known/accepted on this forum have much less leeway for variation away from accepted standards or types of fits and are expected to fit into a current kind of "standard fit".

 

There is definitely a group-think-consensus about what works that is more or less maleable depending on who is presenting the content. What "looks good" depends on who is presenting it... to a large degree. People have posted fits here that get 50 thumbs that I think look like shit or are just average at best. And no, I won't give examples. smile.gif

 

Anyway, just my own humble opinion and observations...

post #91716 of 117677
I feel like I'm my college professor that had one good idea and then won't stop talking about it but SW&D is about consuming user-generated content and thumbs are more about the ability to create content that people like than any objective determination of how "good" the fit is. Sure there's a "group think" aspect to it but it's a lot more the quality of the contribution of individual posters than the collective taste consensus.

Find my post a few pages back for the detailed treatise i wrote on the subject. I feel bad constantly linking it.
post #91717 of 117677

GN, I read it. Good points for sure.

post #91718 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorje View Post


You cut out my last sentence, which addresses this...

You could pretty much wear whatever and people here are going to accept it. Designers like Ann, Damir, Rick, Devoa, etc. can pretty much do whatever and people are going to accept it. Others who are less known/accepted on this forum have much less leeway for variation away from accepted standards or types of fits and are expected to fit into a current kind of "standard fit".

There is definitely a group-think-consensus about what works that is more or less maleable depending on who is presenting the content. What "looks good" depends on who is presenting it... to a large degree. People have posted fits here that get 50 thumbs that I think look like shit or are just average at best. And no, I won't give examples. smile.gif

Anyway, just my own humble opinion and observations...

Ann has caught a lot of criticism over the past few seasons for straying, perhaps unsuccessfully, from her look. The most recent season (f/w 13?) was sort of a return to form for her. Damir's past few seasons have been pretty negatively received here. Not many people care for Rick's runway shows, they just like the leathers. I don't pay any attention to Devoa so I can't comment there.

Anyway here's a fit, it's nice and breezy/warm today.



Brooklyn Tailors / Acne / Nike

Now please give me 50+ thumbs for this decidedly average fit.
post #91719 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist View Post


Now please give me 50+ thumbs for this decidedly average fit.

 

 

IDK, orange shoelaces? wink.gif

 

 

 

I also want to point out I'm NOT saying there is no objective basis for what looks good, I think there is, and opinions here do reflect that as well.

 

I am also under no illusion that any fits I've posted are objectively good, maybe to some varying degrees, but not nearly as good as many people posting fits here.

post #91720 of 117677
lol, great post, fuuma. here is this hoarded morons fit.

post #91721 of 117677
OK, I will say it.

If you post a good MC fit here in SWD, you will get ~5-7x the thumbs that you would get in MC, at least.

Getting to 20 thumbs in MC is damn near impossible, while here it's pretty much par for the course.

And we all post to get thumbs.

So there's that.
post #91722 of 117677

 

I've been taking a lot of fit pics this week. 

post #91723 of 117677
pants riding a bit high, don'tcha think stitch?
post #91724 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by bows1 View Post

Speaking of Liberace, Behind the Candelabra looks amazing

I can't wait to watch this tacky biocrap.
post #91725 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

OK, I will say it.

If you post a good MC fit here in SWD, you will get ~5-7x the thumbs that you would get in MC, at least.

Getting to 20 thumbs in MC is damn near impossible, while here it's pretty much par for the course.

And we all post to get thumbs.

So there's that.

MCers don't know there is a thumb up system, they quote the post right above and say "wonderful outfit, old chap!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread