Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/5/16 at 9:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5810post #87136 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:06pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #87137 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:08pmpost #87138 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:13pmpost #87139 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:14pmpost #87140 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:18pmIn order to salvage them, go to a tailor and say you want a hem and taper.
Usually the hemming part is easy as they pin the bottom for you to see and if you find agreeable, they will mark it as so. I like to leave a little bit of fabric for +/- error, so afterwards, ask them to measure what the new inseam would be. If it matches up with what you typically like, say 33" (you seem tall) then say 33.5" (or just reference that you want it no more than 33" inseam, or less). Competent tailor should get the picture.
My experience with tapering is that if the tailor is good, they will tell you whether or not 18cm, 19cm; etc. is good. FWIW I think 18cm for most folks here is good starting point. You can either go up to 19cm, which is your standard 7.5" taper, or down to 17cm (around 6.75"). One thing I like to think about is if I go with 19cm, I may like the hem to have not as much break because the tapering IMO is not as gradual and will end up like what you currently have. 18cm on the other hand you can leave the inseam a bit longer as it will stack better. I think here it will depend on the wearer and experience with the tailor as finding a sweet spot in terms of the hem and taper balance will give off the best "stacked" look.
I usually like my inseams to be about 33 or 32.5 with 18cm, or 7.25". Every now and then 19cm is cool too.
Regarding sizing down, I personally like the top block / seat area to have a little bit more room. So, sizing down in your case, if you find it comfortable is not necessary. The point is, a hem and taper will do wonders to the fit.
Another note is that you may realize that one side of your hip sits higher up rendering once part of your leg to have a shorter inseam. This will be apparent if you ever got some dress trousers hemmed. You should let the tailor know this or at the very least check if both inseams are balanced, and to make the respective corrections when hemming the pants if not.post #87141 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:25pmQuote:
I think you'd rock them well. They're so nice, but you have to be the right kind of skinny, apparently. Here's me contemplating the buttoned-up look.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
EDIT: Probably more helpful untucked. I'm 5'9
Edited by noob in 89 - 2/18/13 at 9:37pmpost #87142 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:35pmMy Ervell sweatshirt definitely has a weird fit to it. I'm about 6' and ~165-170 lbs. and I've never before had a problem with tops being too short. I had to size up on it though since the medium I tried on was so incredibly short—both in the body and in the sleeves. The large fits me alright, though I'd be happier if it were still even longer in the body. Fits a bit looser throughout the midsection, but since it's a sweatshirt I don't really mind a "relaxed" look. I'd like to check out some of his other stuff (in particular the outerwear), but now that I've seen how it fits I'm worried about whether or not it's made for my tall lanky ass.post #87143 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:42pm
Thanks for the info noob. Will have to hunt down some stockists before June. Anyone know if he keeps length ~relatively the same regardless of size? I always end up with cropped shirts and sweaters because my height is so disproportionate from my weight.post #87144 of 1176662/18/13 at 9:55pmQuote:
This is key for all the newbies to note. It doesn't matter how loose the top block is, as long is it tapers nicely it will look good. There is no sense in sizing down for obscene thigh huggage.post #87145 of 1176662/18/13 at 11:10pmQuote:
Big thanks man, and I'd say to check out the measurements and some people's testimonies on the pieces you want.
Ervell's stuff is definitely very versatile.post #87146 of 1176662/19/13 at 12:12ampost #87147 of 1176662/19/13 at 12:43ampost #87148 of 1176662/19/13 at 12:46ampost #87149 of 1176662/19/13 at 1:28am
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 52 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 1 minute ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 8 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 12 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 12 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 16 15 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?