or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5802  

post #87016 of 117670

I hate to use lookbook as an example, but; http://lookbook.nu/user/9935-Stay-C/looks

 

This guy's style/fit is what I am trying to get to for weekends. Right or wrong to you guys, in my eyes this looks good.

 

http://lookbook.nu/look/4592107-February-16-2-13

 

And this for workday's as my business attire is still very casual.

 

http://lookbook.nu/look/4550525-February-5-2-13

 

Compared to what I did yesterday, some of the issues are clear, but I am still not sure why it seems to be so far off the mark still. 

 

Clearly he is a skinny tall bugger and I am shorter, stockier and not as slim. 

post #87017 of 117670
That guy has much slimmer build than you. Can you find something closer to your body type? Do you have the same body type as that guy but wider clothing and worse camera skills?

also that jacket is pretty short.
post #87018 of 117670

Worse camera skills, yes. 

Shorter height, yes.

Much larger build, yes.

 

I'm an L/40-42 up top and 33/32 waist. About 5'8 tall (or short).

post #87019 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I hate to use lookbook as an example, but; http://lookbook.nu/user/9935-Stay-C/looks

This guy's style/fit is what I am trying to get to for weekends. Right or wrong to you guys, in my eyes this looks good.

http://lookbook.nu/look/4592107-February-16-2-13

And this for workday's as my business attire is still very casual.

http://lookbook.nu/look/4550525-February-5-2-13

Compared to what I did yesterday, some of the issues are clear, but I am still not sure why it seems to be so far off the mark still. 

Clearly he is a skinny tall bugger and I am shorter, stockier and not as slim. 

The sportcoat in the second link is comically short.
post #87020 of 117670
That guy looks like another GQ clone. He has no "style". If you look through all his outfits, he does the same thing over and over, keeping it safe. When he tries to branch out and try different colours, his outfits look bad.

It's literally the same outfit 30 times over, with the same jeans, sport coat, and shoes, but with a different shirt and/or sweater. No one here really goes for that look, because it's too "easy", and it lacks personality, because it emulates little to no thought and fashion sense.
I feel like a lot of people come here because they want to take things to the next level. GQ is seen as the pinnacle of style advice and dressing well, but once you look past the fact that the magazine just pushes whatever look the companies and sponsors who are paying the bills want, you realize that there's a whole other world out there.

But if you want to look like some J.Crew dad on your days off, then I don't know if you're going to find that sort of direction here.
post #87021 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post

I do, but I'm just not seeing what you guys are seeing and am obviously having trouble understanding.

Just come to terms with the fact that it may take you a little while to get things right. The advice you get on the internet is unlikely to help with that, so you're better off just wearing your clothes and figuring it out yourself.

Don't worry about posting a fit until you're confident that they actually look different from all the other ones you've posted. I'm sure you're at least subconsciously aware that things are not quite there. You're not far off and you don't look terrible, so don't worry about it. You'll get there.
post #87022 of 117670
In the mean time I think you would benefit from broadening your horizons a touch. Try exposing yourself to more interesting design and ambitious fits.

It won't necessarily change your taste in clothes, but it will give you a better perspective and understanding of your clothes and how to wear them.
post #87023 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicmez View Post

That guy looks like another GQ clone. He has no "style". If you look through all his outfits, he does the same thing over and over, keeping it safe. When he tries to branch out and try different colours, his outfits look bad.

It's literally the same outfit 30 times over, with the same jeans, sport coat, and shoes, but with a different shirt and/or sweater. No one here really goes for that look, because it's too "easy", and it lacks personality, because it emulates little to no thought and fashion sense.
I feel like a lot of people come here because they want to take things to the next level. GQ is seen as the pinnacle of style advice and dressing well, but once you look past the fact that the magazine just pushes whatever look the companies and sponsors who are paying the bills want, you realize that there's a whole other world out there.

But if you want to look like some J.Crew dad on your days off, then I don't know if you're going to find that sort of direction here.

 

This is what I am struggling to comprehend in this thread. What is wrong with safe? Why is that so boring to you guys? If the guy is comfortable in that particular style/aesthetic, of which I do not consider myself to be achieving yet but admire, then of course his wardrobe is going to be filled with similar items. Colours will change of course, but he will have a wardrobe full of denim, chino's, shirts and blazers of similar cut and shape. Why is there anything wrong with that? Why does he need to be pushing the boundaries? 

 

I have zero idea what brands he's wearing in any of those fits, and while not every single one appeals to me, generally I think his outfits look smart, tidy and the overall tones work great. There are plenty of guys in this thread who dress very similar to that and get praise, so I cannot believe that it's so dramatically wrong. I certainly don't think it lacks personality - it's just a hell of a lot more common than some of the more unique looks which are seen in this thread.

 

I guess i'm a J.Crew dad then - without children. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post


Just come to terms with the fact that it may take you a little while to get things right. The advice you get on the internet is unlikely to help with that, so you're better off just wearing your clothes and figuring it out yourself.

Don't worry about posting a fit until you're confident that they actually look different from all the other ones you've posted. I'm sure you're at least subconsciously aware that things are not quite there. You're not far off and you don't look terrible, so don't worry about it. You'll get there.

 

Thanks Hendrix. Appreciate your comments/feedback. 

post #87024 of 117670
You don't have to have children to be a J. Crew dad. That's why it's so fabulous.
post #87025 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post

This is what I am struggling to comprehend in this thread. What is wrong with safe? Why is that so boring to you guys? If the guy is comfortable in that particular style/aesthetic, of which I do not consider myself to be achieving yet but admire, then of course his wardrobe is going to be filled with similar items. Colours will change of course, but he will have a wardrobe full of denim, chino's, shirts and blazers of similar cut and shape. Why is there anything wrong with that? Why does he need to be pushing the boundaries? 

I have zero idea what brands he's wearing in any of those fits, and while not every single one appeals to me, generally I think his outfits look smart, tidy and the overall tones work great. There are plenty of guys in this thread who dress very similar to that and get praise, so I cannot believe that it's so dramatically wrong. I certainly don't think it lacks personality - it's just a hell of a lot more common than some of the more unique looks which are seen in this thread.

I guess i'm a J.Crew dad then - without children. 


Thanks Hendrix. Appreciate your comments/feedback. 

There is nothing *wrong* with it per say, but why the hell are you on a fashion/style forum if you want to just play it safe and wear the same shit every day. Just like your outfits aren't *bad* but they aren't interesting, they don't vary, and you post a lot so you get flack for it.
post #87026 of 117670
There's nothing wrong with safe, but people generally don't post safe. People post here pushing next level/ their own flavor (Barims etc.) or looking for pointers on their way to figuring out what they're after. You seem to know what you're after - safe. I pretty much dress Ervell/Epaulet/WvG with Aldens/Carmina/MC shoes M-F, but I don't really think there's anything worth posting from those days.
post #87027 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post

This is what I am struggling to comprehend in this thread. What is wrong with safe? Why is that so boring to you guys? If the guy is comfortable in that particular style/aesthetic, of which I do not consider myself to be achieving yet but admire, then of course his wardrobe is going to be filled with similar items. Colours will change of course, but he will have a wardrobe full of denim, chino's, shirts and blazers of similar cut and shape. Why is there anything wrong with that? Why does he need to be pushing the boundaries? 

I guess i'm a J.Crew dad then - without children. 

Jcrew dads do not look good in person. You don't have to buy crazy conceptual clothing or anything like that, but if you don't at least expose yourself to more interesting stuff you will have no context on which to base your fits.

Take a look at Shoreman. He dresses pretty conservatively and generally sticks to pretty simple colour palettes, but he does it well because he understands what he's doing in the context of other clothing that he is aware of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

This is the same guy who very much introduced the forum to White Mountaineering and countless other designers from a wide range of aesthetics.
post #87028 of 117670

In response to bows;

 

Where does it say on the front door to this forum, or this thread for that matter, that your fits must be cutting edge, pushing boundaries etc.

 

Is the lookbook guy's fit not it's based around a particular aesthetic? One that a hell of a lot more people might follow than yours? 

 

You're fits are awesome - I think you rock it. However as much as I admire them, I would never want/try to pull them off as I do not feel that it's 'me'.

 

I honestly do understand that by focusing my fit's better through tailoring, better fitment etc, my boring style would be more acceptable - but it takes time.

 

I've been more selective with what I post, trying to avoid the obvious mistakes, but I can tell that I am still missing the mark. 

 

Hendrix/ cyc wid it: These responses are helping me to understand better. Thanks. Still do not quite understand why this thread cannot include all fits. Safe or boundary pushing.

post #87029 of 117670
elisix is convinced that the reason nobody from SW&D likes his fits is that they're not black/slouchy/edgy enough, not because they suck. so talking to him about it is useless.

meanwhile mok racks up the thumbs
post #87030 of 117670
I usually play it relatively/very safe, but even that requires a good eye for proportions and putting stuff together. The GQ guy looked allright, if thats what you want to do, buy gant rugger + j crew and mix in some more interesting stuff like engineered garments and you´ll be set. Key is not to make it too "clean", like worn denim, messy oxford shirts, worn boots/shoes...

Right now you look a bit "plasticy". sorry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread