You must obey
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 3/13/15 at 2:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5656
Styleforum Top Pickspost #84827 of 1176681/23/13 at 11:49amQuote:Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Any notable instances of this (no snark, genuinely curious)
I think the closest example I can remember is that 17 year old kid whose first fit was a towel scarf and then got mad love for rocking all RO. Which speaks to dude's point. But doesn't rationalize his fit progression.
My memory of that was everyone calling him a pretentious bellend and telling him to spend his money on drugs instead.post #84828 of 1176681/23/13 at 11:49amQuote:Originally Posted by APK
Benes, the problem with pursuing the Yohji aesthetic is that it is not an inexpensive buy-in. Your posts in this thread and Recent Purchases indicate that you're trying to push back against that truism. There are good Y! Japan deals to be had, but in browsing the Yohji thread, I'd say you either need to luck out or pony up for a lot of the good stuff. Your recent purchases feel like a hodgepodge of Yohji undesirables and alternate brand stuff that you (wrongly) think fits with the Yohji look.
Ask yourself whether or not you really wanna dive down the Yohji rabbit hole. Unlike a lot of other aesthetics you see around here, it's not one you can kinda, sorta go in on and expect good results. If you decide the Yohji look is what you want, then at least take a break from making so many purchases that seem to be based on either great deals or because the item might gel with Yohji in a vague sort of way.
I think the other thing people might not realize about older Yohji is that some of it is really really kitschy and unapologetically tacky. Dudes like me and Bene who are budget constrained have to pick pieces from these older offerings, and without a really focused idea of what will work you're going to end up with a lot of misses. I've totally fallen victim to this too, however I'm a lot less likely to post photos of my missteps than Benes (<- and I mean this as a sort of back-handed compliment).
IMO a lot of the poster boys I/we look to for Yohji fits have some combination of these traits:
1. extremely good taste (important when dealing with older yohji)
2. the ability to pull off almost anything (important when wearing dresses/hakamas/jelly fish pants)
3. have been buying yohji for a long time and really 'get' his themes
4. they are buying stuff from the newer seasons, which are not as dark and anti-fit
*obviously not all of these are specific to Yohji (ie. 1 & 2)post #84829 of 1176681/23/13 at 11:53ampost #84830 of 1176681/23/13 at 11:59amhendrix, I know you're melting down there in the Shire but come on, man. Find a plain loose white tank and you would have been in business.Quote:
This. I don't recall anyone particularly liking his RO fits.post #84831 of 1176681/23/13 at 12:03pmQuote:Originally Posted by RegisDB9
Love this...need bigger size thoughpost #84832 of 1176681/23/13 at 12:55pmpost #84833 of 1176681/23/13 at 12:59pmFound an old pair of corduroy pants hanging out in the bottom of one of my dresser drawers, so I did this:
Oh, and here's the new sweater plus converse instead of boots (Click to show)
Gonna have to think about how to wear this sweater a bit harder—I didn't realize it would be cropped so short. I have a pair of navy trousers that would probably look far better here, but they need to be let out about a quarter inch in length. Time to get creative I guess?post #84834 of 1176681/23/13 at 1:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by thewho13
Gonna have to think about how to wear this sweater a bit harder—I didn't realize it would be cropped so short. I have a pair of navy trousers that would probably look far better here, but they need to be let out about a quarter inch in length. Time to get creative I guess?
As you know, it's actually a sweatshirt. Sneakers and faded jeans or cutoff shorts should work fine.post #84835 of 1176681/23/13 at 1:15pmpost #84836 of 1176681/23/13 at 1:34pm
could have been worse, oh wait. no it couldnt, there were no tv shows before that. i keed i keed.Quote:
to me, a sweater generally has texture to it, and can be a variety of materials, while a sweatshirt is flat, and cotton, poly or cotton/poly blend.
hard to tell from your pics, but i would call it a sweater, especially due to the cuffs and hem.
sweatshirtpost #84837 of 1176681/23/13 at 1:49pmpost #84838 of 1176681/23/13 at 1:53pmwell, for me, a cardigan has to have buttons. so the SNS is guess is a cardigan. but i would call anything else without buttons, in my aforementioned definition of sweaters, a sweater.
please dont kill me.post #84839 of 1176681/23/13 at 1:54pm
let's get pedantic because it's better than whatever was going on before.
sweater is knit, sweatshirt is woven maybe, since you can have knit cotton sweaters?
UK crew - where does jumper fall into this? is that just a sweater or sweatshirt that is a pullover of some kind?
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 16 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 29 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › New suit designs, critique please 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 2 minutes ago
- › Kenneth Cole Slim-Fit Stretch Hacking Suit Jacket 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan