Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
- High-quality white shirt on short notice (in New York?) Last post on 12/15/12 at 5:06am in Classic Menswear
What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5415
Styleforum Top Picks
All good this is the discussion thread everyone has the right to their own opinion, I like how it fits and if it looks wierd and tight in a picture oh well, fuck it, I'll still wear it.
Ummm... this is a really dumb conversation but just to clear things up a bit.
Big guys (as in muscular) can look "fat" with certain clothes on. I can't speak for that guy above, but very lean and very strong powerlifters can look "fat", due to big abs, glutes, thighs and chest. There's absolutely a possibility that the mvpberto is that lean, but his build just wouldn't show it.
Just because you're thin and has a decent drop does not make you lean. People who are not into lifting tend to think that thin=in good shape=very lean. Not necessarily true.
Most people I know that run a lot, look slim and seem to be in good shape are probably somewhere around 13-16% with no real muscle.
Yes and no. Don't watch it for the robot fights, because there aren't many. I actually found the hype about the mindfuck and related confusion itself to be overrated, especially if you have a taste for psychoanalysis and religious imagery - because that basically sums up the show. But, there are some great moments (and a couple of real WTF ones). It's more that the ending is boring and confused rather than a total blow-your-mind thing, and most of the criticism about it losing its direction and feeling rushed over the second half of the show is fairly accurate. It reminds me of Lost, actually - a lot to decode, but you sort of wonder if it's actually legible enough to be decodable, and whether the decoding is at all worth it; as by the end of the show they're basically just foisting as much symbolism on you as they possibly can. I found it fairly comprehensible despite all that, although I actually have a background in psychoanalysis, critical theory, and all the other "intellectual" tidbits that shows like this enjoy throwing at you. I honestly have no idea how much of that gets through to your average viewer of mecha-anime, but I have read some seriously ridiculous "reviews" or "explanations." That said, a lot of it is so in-your-face it's impossible to miss (cross imagery features excruciatingly heavily, and there is actually an episode titles "The Oral Stage"), but that doesn't necessarily mean it's fun.
My main criticism is that it doesn't really give you chills the way TTGL or Escaflowne do; the big reveals don't really have the fanfare they could - which is both good and bad, because on the one hand it lets the viewer figure things out, but on the other hand if you enjoy predicting and analyzing, as I do, you occasionally wish for a bit more recognition of your effort. Which is a sentiment that mirrors, somewhat ironically, the basic plot trajectory of the show.
I would say that it is not a show about robots that happens to heavily feature teenage angst - it's a show about teenage angst that uses the occasional giant robot as a metaphor. The action sequences, while righteously disturbing, are more incidental rather than necessary - for the most part. Like I said however, there are some great moments - usually the disturbing, WTF ones - and it definitely widens your eyes when you figure out what's happening.
All in all, enjoyable, but the obfuscation is occasionally laid on so purposefully thick that it actually removes the "readerly" (vis. Barthes) aspect and sort of changes the feel of it to high school-level symbolism - there isn't necessarily a purpose to any of it. That being said, it certainly engages your brain, which I definitely DO enjoy, and I found the ending both satisfying and totally irrelevant (the last two episodes are basically a stand-alone film experiment). Worth watching, but not particularly accessible, and I have no fucking idea how it would be watchable if you weren't burning straight through the whole thing like a fucking madman (hi!).
I think they took a lot of liberties with the facts and the oversimplification leaves at lot to be desired. Still entertaining though, did you know that Hideaki Anno has a main belt asteroid to his name ?
Then I discovered 99 Red Balloons and that was the end of it.
^i did not.
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- › ***Official Franco Ercoles Bespoke Thread (Brooklyn/Manhattan)*** 1 minute ago
- › WTT AE MacNeil Black Caf Size 10.5 D 5 minutes ago
- › NWT Size 36” Thick grey flannel trousers by Incotex for K&C 6 minutes ago
- › Peir Wu 7 minutes ago
- › Hair style help!!! Need pics!!! 7 minutes ago
- › The perfect woman 11 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 15 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** 16 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 16 minutes ago
- › Alexander Mcqueen New Skull T Shirt size L (fits a suit size 46-50) 19 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...