Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 7/16/15 at 4:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...
Last edited: 3/30/15
- What I Learned from Slim DenimLast edited: 12/21/14
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5415post #81211 of 11766812/5/12 at 1:14pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #81212 of 11766812/5/12 at 1:17pmpost #81213 of 11766812/5/12 at 1:23pmpost #81214 of 11766812/5/12 at 1:25pmpost #81215 of 11766812/5/12 at 1:35pmQuote:
All good this is the discussion thread everyone has the right to their own opinion, I like how it fits and if it looks wierd and tight in a picture oh well, fuck it, I'll still wear it.post #81216 of 11766812/5/12 at 2:56pmpost #81217 of 11766812/5/12 at 2:57pmpost #81218 of 11766812/5/12 at 3:00pmsipang did you ever watch Evangelion? What you think about it? I think I have watched all EP till the very end when they are fighting those white winged beasts. Thought I seen it all till then...need to rewatch this now.post #81219 of 11766812/5/12 at 3:03pm
Ummm... this is a really dumb conversation but just to clear things up a bit.
Big guys (as in muscular) can look "fat" with certain clothes on. I can't speak for that guy above, but very lean and very strong powerlifters can look "fat", due to big abs, glutes, thighs and chest. There's absolutely a possibility that the mvpberto is that lean, but his build just wouldn't show it.
Just because you're thin and has a decent drop does not make you lean. People who are not into lifting tend to think that thin=in good shape=very lean. Not necessarily true.
Most people I know that run a lot, look slim and seem to be in good shape are probably somewhere around 13-16% with no real muscle.post #81220 of 11766812/5/12 at 3:03pmpost #81221 of 11766812/5/12 at 3:05pmFunny you should bring that upQuote:Originally Posted by synthese
Yes and no. Don't watch it for the robot fights, because there aren't many. I actually found the hype about the mindfuck and related confusion itself to be overrated, especially if you have a taste for psychoanalysis and religious imagery - because that basically sums up the show. But, there are some great moments (and a couple of real WTF ones). It's more that the ending is boring and confused rather than a total blow-your-mind thing, and most of the criticism about it losing its direction and feeling rushed over the second half of the show is fairly accurate. It reminds me of Lost, actually - a lot to decode, but you sort of wonder if it's actually legible enough to be decodable, and whether the decoding is at all worth it; as by the end of the show they're basically just foisting as much symbolism on you as they possibly can. I found it fairly comprehensible despite all that, although I actually have a background in psychoanalysis, critical theory, and all the other "intellectual" tidbits that shows like this enjoy throwing at you. I honestly have no idea how much of that gets through to your average viewer of mecha-anime, but I have read some seriously ridiculous "reviews" or "explanations." That said, a lot of it is so in-your-face it's impossible to miss (cross imagery features excruciatingly heavily, and there is actually an episode titles "The Oral Stage"), but that doesn't necessarily mean it's fun.
My main criticism is that it doesn't really give you chills the way TTGL or Escaflowne do; the big reveals don't really have the fanfare they could - which is both good and bad, because on the one hand it lets the viewer figure things out, but on the other hand if you enjoy predicting and analyzing, as I do, you occasionally wish for a bit more recognition of your effort. Which is a sentiment that mirrors, somewhat ironically, the basic plot trajectory of the show.
I would say that it is not a show about robots that happens to heavily feature teenage angst - it's a show about teenage angst that uses the occasional giant robot as a metaphor. The action sequences, while righteously disturbing, are more incidental rather than necessary - for the most part. Like I said however, there are some great moments - usually the disturbing, WTF ones - and it definitely widens your eyes when you figure out what's happening.
All in all, enjoyable, but the obfuscation is occasionally laid on so purposefully thick that it actually removes the "readerly" (vis. Barthes) aspect and sort of changes the feel of it to high school-level symbolism - there isn't necessarily a purpose to any of it. That being said, it certainly engages your brain, which I definitely DO enjoy, and I found the ending both satisfying and totally irrelevant (the last two episodes are basically a stand-alone film experiment). Worth watching, but not particularly accessible, and I have no fucking idea how it would be watchable if you weren't burning straight through the whole thing like a fucking madman (hi!).post #81222 of 11766812/5/12 at 3:12pmQuote:
I think they took a lot of liberties with the facts and the oversimplification leaves at lot to be desired. Still entertaining though, did you know that Hideaki Anno has a main belt asteroid to his name ?post #81223 of 11766812/5/12 at 3:13pmSeeing if you are talking about NGE I watched the flick ep by ep every Sunday night (?) when I was like 10-11 on PBS when they use to run anime programming for viewers. Definitely gave me a lot of 'wtf' moments. I then got back to the toward Jr/Sr year of HS and the last few ep were pretty much "why isn't anything happening?"
Then I discovered 99 Red Balloons and that was the end of it.
^i did not.post #81224 of 11766812/5/12 at 3:18pm
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 7 minutes ago
- › The Possibly Official Engineered Garments Trading Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 9 minutes ago
- › What's this lapel thing? 13 minutes ago
- › The Official VINTAGE T SHIRT KNOWLEDGE THREAD. 16 minutes ago
- › Definitive Exotic Hide Identification Thread: Post your Hippo,... 22 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 24 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...