Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 6/22/16 at 6:47pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5415post #81211 of 11766612/5/12 at 1:23pmpost #81212 of 11766612/5/12 at 1:25pmpost #81213 of 11766612/5/12 at 1:35pmQuote:
All good this is the discussion thread everyone has the right to their own opinion, I like how it fits and if it looks wierd and tight in a picture oh well, fuck it, I'll still wear it.post #81214 of 11766612/5/12 at 2:56pmpost #81215 of 11766612/5/12 at 2:57pmpost #81216 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:00pmsipang did you ever watch Evangelion? What you think about it? I think I have watched all EP till the very end when they are fighting those white winged beasts. Thought I seen it all till then...need to rewatch this now.post #81217 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:03pm
Ummm... this is a really dumb conversation but just to clear things up a bit.
Big guys (as in muscular) can look "fat" with certain clothes on. I can't speak for that guy above, but very lean and very strong powerlifters can look "fat", due to big abs, glutes, thighs and chest. There's absolutely a possibility that the mvpberto is that lean, but his build just wouldn't show it.
Just because you're thin and has a decent drop does not make you lean. People who are not into lifting tend to think that thin=in good shape=very lean. Not necessarily true.
Most people I know that run a lot, look slim and seem to be in good shape are probably somewhere around 13-16% with no real muscle.post #81218 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:03pmpost #81219 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:05pmFunny you should bring that upQuote:Originally Posted by synthese
Yes and no. Don't watch it for the robot fights, because there aren't many. I actually found the hype about the mindfuck and related confusion itself to be overrated, especially if you have a taste for psychoanalysis and religious imagery - because that basically sums up the show. But, there are some great moments (and a couple of real WTF ones). It's more that the ending is boring and confused rather than a total blow-your-mind thing, and most of the criticism about it losing its direction and feeling rushed over the second half of the show is fairly accurate. It reminds me of Lost, actually - a lot to decode, but you sort of wonder if it's actually legible enough to be decodable, and whether the decoding is at all worth it; as by the end of the show they're basically just foisting as much symbolism on you as they possibly can. I found it fairly comprehensible despite all that, although I actually have a background in psychoanalysis, critical theory, and all the other "intellectual" tidbits that shows like this enjoy throwing at you. I honestly have no idea how much of that gets through to your average viewer of mecha-anime, but I have read some seriously ridiculous "reviews" or "explanations." That said, a lot of it is so in-your-face it's impossible to miss (cross imagery features excruciatingly heavily, and there is actually an episode titles "The Oral Stage"), but that doesn't necessarily mean it's fun.
My main criticism is that it doesn't really give you chills the way TTGL or Escaflowne do; the big reveals don't really have the fanfare they could - which is both good and bad, because on the one hand it lets the viewer figure things out, but on the other hand if you enjoy predicting and analyzing, as I do, you occasionally wish for a bit more recognition of your effort. Which is a sentiment that mirrors, somewhat ironically, the basic plot trajectory of the show.
I would say that it is not a show about robots that happens to heavily feature teenage angst - it's a show about teenage angst that uses the occasional giant robot as a metaphor. The action sequences, while righteously disturbing, are more incidental rather than necessary - for the most part. Like I said however, there are some great moments - usually the disturbing, WTF ones - and it definitely widens your eyes when you figure out what's happening.
All in all, enjoyable, but the obfuscation is occasionally laid on so purposefully thick that it actually removes the "readerly" (vis. Barthes) aspect and sort of changes the feel of it to high school-level symbolism - there isn't necessarily a purpose to any of it. That being said, it certainly engages your brain, which I definitely DO enjoy, and I found the ending both satisfying and totally irrelevant (the last two episodes are basically a stand-alone film experiment). Worth watching, but not particularly accessible, and I have no fucking idea how it would be watchable if you weren't burning straight through the whole thing like a fucking madman (hi!).post #81220 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:12pmQuote:
I think they took a lot of liberties with the facts and the oversimplification leaves at lot to be desired. Still entertaining though, did you know that Hideaki Anno has a main belt asteroid to his name ?post #81221 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:13pmSeeing if you are talking about NGE I watched the flick ep by ep every Sunday night (?) when I was like 10-11 on PBS when they use to run anime programming for viewers. Definitely gave me a lot of 'wtf' moments. I then got back to the toward Jr/Sr year of HS and the last few ep were pretty much "why isn't anything happening?"
Then I discovered 99 Red Balloons and that was the end of it.
^i did not.post #81222 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:18pmpost #81223 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:24pmpost #81224 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:25pmpost #81225 of 11766612/5/12 at 3:31pm
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 4 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Motorcycles 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 9 minutes ago
- › Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it? 9 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding