or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5396  

post #80926 of 117677
No-intellectual-fap December.
post #80927 of 117677
post #80928 of 117677
I think the types of aesthetic considerations that prevail in any different "space" (I prefer "space" to "community")-be it SF, SZ, reddit's MFA, tumblr #menswear etc--is also highly influenced by the structure of those spaces itself.

#menswear culture of reblogs is highly influenced by a small group of tastemakers who have a high degree of control over the aesthetic particularities of the space, which I suspect is a rather brilliant move by the more "traditional" tastemakers (GQ, Esquire, etc.) to shore up their influence in a more democratic age. After all, you can throw shit into the tumblrsphere but if it doesn't meet the criteria of the tastemakers then you're not going to get much reach.

I'd imagine SZ works in a similar way, with admins such as Faust wielding authority of aesthetic judgement, but I haven't spent much time there.

In contrast, reddit's MFA has a highly permeable membrane, so it reduces its aesthetic considerations to the lowest possible denominator for that demographic (young, affluent but still budget conscious males with bland personalities). Very little is pushed in the way of boundaries, as people there neither demand new and interesting forms nor could they--as a community--come to a consensus and recognize one if it bit them on the ass.

Styleforum and SuFu's structures encourage boundary pushing within the aesthetic space it has defined for itself, but allows for a higher multiplicity of voices. The fact that most of the members here are loyal and check the site multiple times daily creates a demand for content that is "new" and "interesting". However, the strong emphasis on "who is who" means that "tastemakers" still wield influence, but it allows less for a "barrier to entry" effect but rather a way for people to define and refine aesthetic considerations in multiple directions. There is a higher level of respect for others in spaces like these, so experimentation is encouraged and group aesthetics need not be defined as stringently. Hence, we can have dudes like Synthese, Snowman, bows1, the shah who are fairly experimental and avant garde (all in different ways), but still dudes like NYR and Teger, who are less so.
post #80929 of 117677

^ That post prompted me to go check out Reddit's MFA.

one of their "Top of WAYWTs" for November:


Edited by slstr - 12/2/12 at 10:21am
post #80930 of 117677
I'm not sure that example is entirely fair. There is a degree of in-joking and terribleness gets upvotes for some obscure reason.

(In the same way that the moo sock fit is probably one of the most quoted fits on the forum.)
post #80931 of 117677
slstr got trolled hard
post #80932 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesyed View Post

"So in simpler english, you say we have rules here so you should follow them. I reply, your rules are just your rules because you want to insist they are, which doesn't make then any more right because there are more than one of you insisting on its value as true/objective." - That would be the reasoning along which why saying community would not really deal with thewhos objection.
Wordier nietzsche referencing answer below Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nietzsche is read pretty subjectively. I doubt if thewho will find anything in there that will really change his perspective. You could argue that the communal creation of ethical norms is the nature of standard formation and so within that community you are bound to it and it has some sort of proscriptive value. Or that Nietzsche's analysis is actually just descriptive and that while there is no real metaphysical force to the ethical norm the community acts that way. The community, much like anything/one else that calls upon metaphysical justifications, is without any ground to stand on but has its methods to create some sort of illusion of justification (force or some absolute like God)
And this is without speaking to the idea that "community" is a weak philosophical concept. I dont like to reference nozick but he has a point. There is no community monster that holds a collective consensus, just individuals who at time (and not unanimously) agree to certain things

your post is just saying what my post was implying (although I'm replacing god with fashion)
post #80933 of 117677
DUB DUB
Edited by Teger - 12/2/12 at 8:17am
post #80934 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by slstr View Post

^ That post prompted me to go check out Reddit's MFA.

one of ther "Top of WAYWTs" for November:

Yo I made the post. If you looked at the comment that this pic came from, which was linked to in my post, you'd see that people upvoted it because the guy obviously needed advice. That's what WAYWT is for over at MFA.

post #80935 of 117677
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slstr View Post

^ That post prompted me to go check out Reddit's MFA.
one of ther "Top of WAYWTs" for November:

To be fair, WAYWT posts on MFA sometimes get a lot of upvotes because the person is a newb looking for advice, and people will vote it so the guy's pic is more visible. And I think their "top" monthly posts just aggregate all the posts with the most upvotes.

Signed,
An MFA Apologist
post #80936 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by istasi View Post


Arcteryx Veilance
Acne (no vis)
Uniqlo
KVA Inspiration (Click to show)

You look just like a skinnier version of me.
post #80937 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty View Post

In contrast, reddit's MFA has a highly permeable membrane, so it reduces its aesthetic considerations to the lowest possible denominator for that demographic (young, affluent but still budget conscious males with bland personalities). Very little is pushed in the way of boundaries, as people there neither demand new and interesting forms nor could they--as a community--come to a consensus and recognize one if it bit them on the ass.

h3h3h3 (y)

post #80938 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozah View Post

why do people on SF always jump on the first opportunity to prove their intelligence as if it really matters.

because they lack the ability to do so irl. (0)

thewho - i like you. you are cool.
post #80939 of 117677
That being said, MFA is one of the better places to get advice if you fall into that demographic. It's fairly bland, but "the MFA uniform" of OCBD/Levi's/CDB'S is a vast improvement over what an overwhelming majority of these dudes were previously wearing.

I also think it gets a bad rap because the front page is full of "befores", and so an uninitiated visitor is greeted with overwhelming awfulness.

I also respect the patience of the guys that stick around and are able to help all of these kids, as the level of cluelessness of your average redditor is sometimes astounding.
post #80940 of 117677
Quote:
Originally Posted by istasi View Post


Arcteryx Veilance
Acne (no vis)
Uniqlo
KVA Inspiration (Click to show)

Dunno why there's so much talk about this. I think it looks cool.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread