Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/5/16 at 9:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5391post #80851 of 11766611/30/12 at 10:09pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #80852 of 11766611/30/12 at 10:23pmpost #80853 of 11766611/30/12 at 11:25pmpost #80854 of 11766612/1/12 at 3:52ampost #80855 of 11766612/1/12 at 8:40ampost #80856 of 11766612/1/12 at 8:47ampost #80857 of 11766612/1/12 at 9:50ampost #80858 of 11766612/1/12 at 10:03ampost #80859 of 11766612/1/12 at 10:25ampost #80860 of 11766612/1/12 at 11:31ampost #80861 of 11766612/1/12 at 11:31ampost #80862 of 11766612/1/12 at 11:44ampost #80863 of 11766612/1/12 at 12:08pmQuote:
I don't appreciate #menswear very much—and the discussions that surround it often come off as "this is what's Masculine and therefore Good"—but I'll respect the fact that some people's taste happens to line up with that aesthetic.
Extended thoughts on #menswear (Click to show)The pant-roll is just like any of the many idiosyncrasies in #menswear (I kind of want to shoot myself for writing something with a hashtag in earnest but whatever I suppose): it'll look flair-y or contrived if you don't dig that look; otherwise it'll seem as "smart" and "casual" as #menswear enthusiasts sincerely believe these things to be. Really this isn't any different than your average Joe looking at a photo of someone Rick'd out and thinking something along the lines of "wow, that is overdone and far too self-serious." A lot of my friends like the #menswear stuff, and I don't really begrudge them for it. It's a popular look right now, and it's really nothing more than inoffensive appreciation for (though frequently a fixation on) a glorified "adult" costume. The funny thing is that, as much as we on SF might mock #menswear enthusiasts' belief in buzzwords like "classic," "clever," "flair," "casual," etc., we do something similar with the terms we (explicitly and implicitly) throw around with varying degrees of irony: "slutty," "outré," "romantic," "dark," "baller," "clean" (or, conversely, "messy-in-a-cool-notcontrived-way"). I think what I'm trying to get at is the fact that this backlash against #menswear reminds me of seventh graders arguing about taste in music as if there's a "right answer," or a superior way to appreciate aesthetics. This isn't to say that one shouldn't say "I don't like that," or "X bothers me about that aesthetic"; but it's the air of superiority—as if there is some inherent value in one's entirely contingent taste—that forecloses plurality in taste. And that's kind of a shame.post #80864 of 11766612/1/12 at 1:28pm
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
Currently, there are 990 Active Users (144 Members and 846 Guests)
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 1 minute ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 1 minute ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 5 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 7 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 10 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 12 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 12 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 13 minutes ago
- › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask... 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...