or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5223  

post #78331 of 117670

I fucking hated trap music til I heard it mixed into the bass music version of trap. http://soundcloud.com/flosstradamus/flosstradamus-diplo-friends

 

I don't think anyone's endorsing sufu speak though.

 

edit:

 

Warning: more hip-hop crossover mixes (Click to show)
Edited by KingJulien - 10/25/12 at 9:18pm
post #78332 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

i guess what bothers me about it is that even though I'm a privileged white person, the whole #swag scene is so privileged and detached from anything resembling the real world or actual experience that it's kind of crazy. It's like adding another level of detachment/insulation to a group that is already so out of step with actual life that it's kind of funny.

i don't see any difference between a bmore kid's detachment from black culture today and a va kid's detachment from black culture in the 90s. listen to what you like. also, i don't know shit about schopenhauer, but i do know that it's pretty weak to talk about how you like an artist's music and then dismiss them as an "ignant junkie" while sipping a latte. i'll take dj screw over philosophy any day, but that's just me.
post #78333 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

i guess what bothers me about it is that even though I'm a privileged white person, the whole #swag scene is so privileged and detached from anything resembling the real world or actual experience that it's kind of crazy. It's like adding another level of detachment/insulation to a group that is already so out of step with actual life that it's kind of funny.
who are you to decide what an actual life experience is?
post #78334 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

maybe I missed a phase of my 20s but the whole awkward sweaty hipster looking white kids getting really into generic gangster rap makes no sense to me.

I am actually a big fan of Gucci Mane.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Also Kreayshawn
post #78335 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozah View Post

who are you to decide what an actual life experience is?

because as subjective and relative experience is, there's a big difference between studying for a test and having to, say, plan a funeral. they're not mutually exclusive, but college is basically a 4 year vacation from a lot of the shitty parts of life.
post #78336 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

maybe I missed a phase of my 20s but the whole awkward sweaty hipster looking white kids getting really into generic gangster rap makes no sense to me.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy that performance at all. There were like 7 other acts playing that night, and I came to see someone else. I think I just wanted to amuse myself, and the whole fucking crowd of stupid hipsters was so dead, I thought i'd liven it up.
post #78337 of 117670

Can we stop using the term hipster.  It's fucking meaningless.  If you're on "StyleForum," you're a huge hipster to someone.

post #78338 of 117670
so i just bought a devoa tee off sz but it's too small for me :\ any 44s interested in a size 2 white devoa tee for 70 usd shipped conus (recouping costs)? let me know. it won't fit a 46.
Edited by nahneun - 10/25/12 at 10:44pm
post #78339 of 117670
couple of random fits... and a question... how come I can't seem to get that nice flat stacking on my jeans? Are they not long enough, narrow enough, raw (ie stiff) enough?


img0444ov.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
img0439aq.jpg
img0445a.jpg



img0574yj.jpgWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
img0577ta.jpg
post #78340 of 117670
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

no. you cultural appropriation is cringe-worthy, and, more importantly, the music itself is painfully bland when compared to the highlights of 90s gangsta rap.

"As I swung the fat girl fell, lying on the avenue just like a beach whale."
post #78341 of 117670
I like the new Taylor Swift song...
post #78342 of 117670
jets comment on masters fit made me chortle for several seconds
post #78343 of 117670
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddin View Post

i don't see any difference between a bmore kid's detachment from black culture today and a va kid's detachment from black culture in the 90s. listen to what you like. also, i don't know shit about schopenhauer, but i do know that it's pretty weak to talk about how you like an artist's music and then dismiss them as an "ignant junkie" while sipping a latte. i'll take dj screw over philosophy any day, but that's just me.

1) I don't sip lattes, I drink beers at cafés.
2) It's not about taking DjScrew over philosophy but about saying that it would be absurd for me to talk or act like Dj Screw while pretty normal to quote Schopenhauer and a somewhat "natural" result of my cultural upbringing.
3) The "ignant junkie" was a joke, I was basically saying appropriating the language of rap songs was ridiculous while doing the same.
post #78344 of 117670
Fuuma, you may be right, but in your scenario, the result is mere silliness. What we should be more zeroed-in on is the white American middle-aged male's appropriation of the lower class Jewish shep-herd of circa AD 200. I assure you, the consequences are much more grave...

frown.gif
post #78345 of 117670
I would've assumed that good old self-consciousness would prevent nerdy kids from saying "swag" and other such lingo. Apparently I was wrong.

It's not offensive, I just feel embarrassed for such people.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread