no. you cultural appropriation is cringe-worthy, and, more importantly, the music itself is painfully bland when compared to the highlights of 90s gangsta rap.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 2/5/16 at 9:34am in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?
Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- A Passion for Denim: The Story of Rivet & HideLast edited: 12/7/15
- Fok's Picks: The Five Best Denim Stores (That You Can Also...Last edited: 12/9/15
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/30/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5222post #78316 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:08pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #78317 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:13pmpost #78318 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:14pmpost #78319 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:16pmpost #78320 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:18pmpost #78321 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:21pmQuote:
The mix of meme-friendly online-talk and rap lyrics quotes by young white dudes is truly the low point of western civilization, pop culture as the cement of middle class youth makes me want to puke. I'll have to side with Teger on this one.post #78322 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:22pmpost #78323 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:24pmKendrick Lamar's album is decent, but it's seriously overrated. If I hear one more comparison to Illmatic, I'm gonna lose my shit. The whole Black Hippy movement is overrated, and gets a huge boost merely by existing in a time where 2 Chainz is going platinum.
If we want to get into lyrics, then why aren't all you socially conscious white knighters listening to Brother Ali's album?post #78324 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:26pmpost #78325 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:34pmmy (semi-serious) take on the whole "devolution" of youth culture if that's what you want to call it is this - if a certain song or whatever makes me smile and makes me excited, then i like it. it's not worth worrying about what's "good" based on someone else's standards. yeah, i know carly rae jepsen is "terrible" to musical connoisseurs, but that shit makes me smile when i'm pregaming with my friends or whatever, so fuck your standards, i like it.
so, yeah, that's my point. fuck your standards, and fuck you.post #78326 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by mike868y
my (semi-serious) take on the whole "devolution" of youth culture if that's what you want to call it is this - if a certain song or whatever makes me smile and makes me excited, then i like it. it's not worth worrying about what's "good" based on someone else's standards. yeah, i know carly rae jepsen is "terrible" to musical connoisseurs, but that shit makes me smile when i'm pregaming with my friends or whatever, so fuck your standards, i like it.
so, yeah, that's my point. fuck your standards, and fuck you.
Hmm, this has very little to do with the problem, which is about young people talking like fucking morons. I like DjScrew but I don't go dropping lyrics while sitting at a café, I still know Schopenhauer suits me more than some ignant junkie.post #78327 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:41pmpost #78328 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:49pmi guess what bothers me about it is that even though I'm a privileged white person, the whole #swag scene is so privileged and detached from anything resembling the real world or actual experience that it's kind of crazy. It's like adding another level of detachment/insulation to a group that is already so out of step with actual life that it's kind of funny.post #78329 of 11766610/25/12 at 9:01pm
I fucking hated trap music til I heard it mixed into the bass music version of trap. http://soundcloud.com/flosstradamus/flosstradamus-diplo-friends
I don't think anyone's endorsing sufu speak though.
Edited by KingJulien - 10/25/12 at 9:18pmpost #78330 of 11766610/25/12 at 9:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by Teger
i guess what bothers me about it is that even though I'm a privileged white person, the whole #swag scene is so privileged and detached from anything resembling the real world or actual experience that it's kind of crazy. It's like adding another level of detachment/insulation to a group that is already so out of step with actual life that it's kind of funny.
i don't see any difference between a bmore kid's detachment from black culture today and a va kid's detachment from black culture in the 90s. listen to what you like. also, i don't know shit about schopenhauer, but i do know that it's pretty weak to talk about how you like an artist's music and then dismiss them as an "ignant junkie" while sipping a latte. i'll take dj screw over philosophy any day, but that's just me.
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
Styleforum Top Picks
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?
Currently, there are 1521 Active Users (328 Members and 1193 Guests)
- › 2016 Presidential Caucus and Primary Thread 16 seconds ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 1 minute ago
- › GentlemensFootwear.com (CARMINA, EDWARD GREEN, DRAKES, CAPPELLI) -... 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 16 4 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › Balmoral Boot Porn 4 minutes ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 5 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 7 minutes ago
- › Please Critique My Shirt 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?