no. you cultural appropriation is cringe-worthy, and, more importantly, the music itself is painfully bland when compared to the highlights of 90s gangsta rap.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What color of DRESS shirt to wear with DARK blue jeans? Last post on 11/4/10 at 7:44am in Classic Menswear
- MARGARET HOWELL Fall/Winter 2013 Last post on 8/25/16 at 12:11pm in Streetwear and Denim
- After Hours Look Last post on 2/23/14 at 5:19pm in Streetwear and Denim
- shirts and general fit question for V shaped body Last post on 4/29/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my ModernTailor shirt fit & measurements Last post on 9/1/11 at 10:42am in Classic Menswear
Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how should I wash them
Last edited: 5/19/16
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Are APCs a good starter pair of raw denim jeans?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Can the Waistband from Selvedge Jeans be taken in?Last edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 5222post #78316 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:08pmpost #78317 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:13pmpost #78318 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:14pmpost #78319 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:16pmpost #78320 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:18pmpost #78321 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:21pmQuote:
The mix of meme-friendly online-talk and rap lyrics quotes by young white dudes is truly the low point of western civilization, pop culture as the cement of middle class youth makes me want to puke. I'll have to side with Teger on this one.post #78322 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:22pmpost #78323 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:24pmKendrick Lamar's album is decent, but it's seriously overrated. If I hear one more comparison to Illmatic, I'm gonna lose my shit. The whole Black Hippy movement is overrated, and gets a huge boost merely by existing in a time where 2 Chainz is going platinum.
If we want to get into lyrics, then why aren't all you socially conscious white knighters listening to Brother Ali's album?post #78324 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:26pmpost #78325 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:34pmmy (semi-serious) take on the whole "devolution" of youth culture if that's what you want to call it is this - if a certain song or whatever makes me smile and makes me excited, then i like it. it's not worth worrying about what's "good" based on someone else's standards. yeah, i know carly rae jepsen is "terrible" to musical connoisseurs, but that shit makes me smile when i'm pregaming with my friends or whatever, so fuck your standards, i like it.
so, yeah, that's my point. fuck your standards, and fuck you.post #78326 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:39pmQuote:Originally Posted by mike868y
my (semi-serious) take on the whole "devolution" of youth culture if that's what you want to call it is this - if a certain song or whatever makes me smile and makes me excited, then i like it. it's not worth worrying about what's "good" based on someone else's standards. yeah, i know carly rae jepsen is "terrible" to musical connoisseurs, but that shit makes me smile when i'm pregaming with my friends or whatever, so fuck your standards, i like it.
so, yeah, that's my point. fuck your standards, and fuck you.
Hmm, this has very little to do with the problem, which is about young people talking like fucking morons. I like DjScrew but I don't go dropping lyrics while sitting at a café, I still know Schopenhauer suits me more than some ignant junkie.post #78327 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:41pmpost #78328 of 11766610/25/12 at 8:49pmi guess what bothers me about it is that even though I'm a privileged white person, the whole #swag scene is so privileged and detached from anything resembling the real world or actual experience that it's kind of crazy. It's like adding another level of detachment/insulation to a group that is already so out of step with actual life that it's kind of funny.post #78329 of 11766610/25/12 at 9:01pm
I fucking hated trap music til I heard it mixed into the bass music version of trap. http://soundcloud.com/flosstradamus/flosstradamus-diplo-friends
I don't think anyone's endorsing sufu speak though.
Edited by KingJulien - 10/25/12 at 9:18pmpost #78330 of 11766610/25/12 at 9:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by Teger
i guess what bothers me about it is that even though I'm a privileged white person, the whole #swag scene is so privileged and detached from anything resembling the real world or actual experience that it's kind of crazy. It's like adding another level of detachment/insulation to a group that is already so out of step with actual life that it's kind of funny.
i don't see any difference between a bmore kid's detachment from black culture today and a va kid's detachment from black culture in the 90s. listen to what you like. also, i don't know shit about schopenhauer, but i do know that it's pretty weak to talk about how you like an artist's music and then dismiss them as an "ignant junkie" while sipping a latte. i'll take dj screw over philosophy any day, but that's just me.
This thread is locked
- The WAYWT Discussion Thread
- Is there any advantage in soaking sanforized denim? Common denim...
Currently, there are 1431 Active Users (268 Members and 1163 Guests)
- › The Home Ownership Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › ISAIA Napoli Sport Coat 48RUS 93%/7% Cashmere/Silk 2 minutes ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 2 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Standard & Strange - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › ethan's Musing on the Near East 6 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Fantasy Football 2016 sign up! Ends 8/21 10 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding