or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WAYWT Discussion Thread - Page 4995  

post #74911 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by volchok View Post

You're misinterpreting my words. Context has nothing to do with how one dresses.
If a random dude gives me medical advice, I would listen to it and discern if it was good or bad advice. Is it supported by scientific evidence or is it just random unsupported shit ?
Actually, no, not every opinion is valid. I just told you I'm not a relativist.
And please, proceed to quote a post where I made fun of someone.
You must be mistaking me for some other new forum member.
Credibility has nothing to do with how good or bad the person's advice is. It might influence how much or how little attention you will pay to the advice but that's it.
Scientific evidence, critical thinking, reason, logic.

Until you post a fitpic and we can assess how you dress (ie, your credibility), things you say will be taken with a grain of salt. It doesn't help that everything you say comes off as authoritative.
post #74912 of 117668
Don't get this fit pic stuff, plenty of people who don't/rarely post fits here still are well-respected or at least considered. You can apply context to someone without photos.
post #74913 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

yes scientific evidence is a great way of measuring styling advice on an internet fashion forum
fashion is inherently subjective -- therefore, someone's commentary carries little weight without a context of that person's background

fashion isn't entirely (or inherently) subjective. our fashion sense operates within a very narrow range. sure in the absolute theoretical vacuum (the conceptual forest?) fashion, like everything else, is subjective, but we don't live in a vacuum, and all of us who post here - even you - have rigidly delineated preconceived notions about what is acceptable and what's not.
post #74914 of 117668
:-)
post #74915 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asop View Post

words

That's just it, though- I'd be willing to bet that most of the people on here don't care (or even want to know) what 95% of the world's population thinks about how they look. We don't spend time here because we want to figure out how to get the world to like how we dress. Rather, we are here because we are obsessive hoarders who like to spend our children's futures on fancy clothing. Get in or get out.
post #74916 of 117668

 

First post here after lurking for a bit.

Suggestions would be great.

 

Abercrombie shirt I got on sale

Naked and famous skinny guys (size 28)

Beat up pair of red vans

post #74917 of 117668
uh it's hard to actually tell what you're wearing, but i guess it looks ok. i have a feeling the shirt is kind of tacky, and vans are always just meh -- there's so many better options out there -- but it's a lot better than most of the recent shit.
post #74918 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

fashion isn't entirely (or inherently) subjective. our fashion sense operates within a very narrow range. sure in the absolute theoretical vacuum (the conceptual forest?) fashion, like everything else, is subjective, but we don't live in a vacuum, and all of us who post here - even you - have rigidly delineated preconceived notions about what is acceptable and what's not.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this to me sounds like a confirmation that fashion is subjective -- it differs from individual to individual, and isn't based on external "facts" but rather on the thoughts of the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asop 
You guys only listen to critiques that you believe to be valid.

Are you suggesting people listen to critiques which they think are invalid? Who does this, ever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asop View Post

Sorry, Of course you do. People on this forum do so more than just about anyone. You may not care if they think you look good, but you care about the image you project to the general public.... whether it be favorable or unfavorable. 

yes this is a big concern for me which is why i have a fashion mullet and flowing hooded cloaks
post #74919 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asop View Post

You may not care if they think you look good, but you care about the image you project to the general public.

You do realize you're contradicting yourself within the same sentence, right?
post #74920 of 117668

^I think what hes getting at is that some sf approved outfits that might get 50 thumbs would weird a lot of "nomal" (i.e. lame) people out. imagine wearing full goth ninj in kansas..

 

Also I like the effort that went into the photo I have come to hate vans personally. That being said had the same pair 4-5 years ago.  Think the first thing you should cop is a better bag since its something you'll be wearing 4-5 days a week if you're in school.

post #74921 of 117668
I'm sorry, isn't "they" in this instance supposed to mean "normal" people? And aren't "normal" people the ones who make up most of the general public?
post #74922 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by volchok View Post

You're misinterpreting my words. Context has nothing to do with how one dresses.
If a random dude gives me medical advice, I would listen to it and discern if it was good or bad advice. Is it supported by scientific evidence or is it just random unsupported shit ?
Actually, no, not every opinion is valid. I just told you I'm not a relativist.
And please, proceed to quote a post where I made fun of someone.
You must be mistaking me for some other new forum member.
Credibility has nothing to do with how good or bad the person's advice is. It might influence how much or how little attention you will pay to the advice but that's it.
Scientific evidence, critical thinking, reason, logic.

I love people who think they judge that way. NO ONE FUCKING DOES THAT YOU DUMBASS!! You're influenced by context, your own biases, the stupid white thing they wear over their clothes, the look of the hospital. If some guy came out of a dumpster and started giving you amazing oncology advice you'd call the police about some drunk hobo harassing you. This shit is so obvious to anyone working in the social sciences or anyone over, say, 13, that I am sad you haven't learned it yet. Such is the way of the world, you can change the signs but not the fact that we use signs to navigate existence.

Now use your critical thinking skills:
1) "Context" influences how your message is received
2) Your messages aren't received well due to context
3) If you want your messages to be received well you should therefore consider context (say establishing credibility, changing your tone etc.)

Now if you don't really care and are just writing for your own enjoyment, congratulations!
post #74923 of 117668
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this to me sounds like a confirmation that fashion is subjective -- it differs from individual to individual, and isn't based on external "facts" but rather on the thoughts of the subject.
Are you suggesting people listen to critiques which they think are invalid? Who does this, ever?
yes this is a big concern for me which is why i have a fashion mullet and flowing hooded cloaks

I guess what I'm saying is that in the theoretical dream world fashion is subjective, but we don't live in the theoretical dream world. Even the most outrageous, wild outfits that get posted here still fall within a narrow range of clothing types based on clothing assumptions. There's lots of different objective world views mixing here - the forum identity, our specific cultural identity and identity as a distinct individual in our wider time and place. Sure, for all intents and purposes fashion here is pretty subjective - because such world views exist they preclude anything really wild from popping up here - but such an understanding kind of suggests that, within the context of this site, there are certain objective rules.

I've also always struggled to reconcile fashions theoretical objectivity with the idea of aesthetics - although I guess you could say that our notion of aesthetics is itself subjective and shaped by own specific experiences.
post #74924 of 117668
also it goes without saying that whatever is posted is someone's opinion, and that if you are really truly happy with what you wear that you not getting a ton of thumbs up here doesn't really matter, but if we have to spend all of our time pointing out this obvious disclaimer than nothing can ever happen here.
post #74925 of 117668

I think fashion is more easily considered with leisure theory as opposed to aesthetic/trying to look good.  look at a lot of comme collections that people worship although it leaves them looking like hobos/hunchbacks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The WAYWT Discussion Thread